Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 2:15 pm

I can only think of three good reasons to keep my Facebook:

1. An easy way to keep up with my activist and recovery circles
2. A few groups I enjoy (specifically cat and dog lover groups, fandom groups, and a humor group)
3. Messenger, which I’ve been using a lot, checking on my vulnerable friends and family

Beyond that, all it does is make me angry, envious, bitter, and bored (sometimes more than one at the same time).

Twitter frustrates me because it’s so fast that I can’t really keep up. I feel too old to be on Tumblr. I like Instagram but rarely think to check it, let alone post something. Pinterest is useful but occasionally becomes a time sink. I gave up LinkedIn long ago because it was reinforcing my feelings of not having accomplished enough in my career, and I refuse to go back.

How do you all feel about social media?

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2020, 7:17 pm

Mainly I feel disappointed in it. When I first got a Facebook account, I thought it was wonderful because I could connect with the music scene I like and found out about loads of new bands that way. I also sent friend requests to some of the nicer people at work and for a while believed that I would be able to make some actual friends. Now the algorithms limit the posts I can see so severely that I miss news about new albums by my bands, and the people I tried to be friends with don't interact with me online or in real life. I mainly just keep it active because that's the only contact I have at all with my sister and her kids, and even that is practically nothing.

bugg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2020, 6:28 pm

I find it very stressful and confusing. How do you decide what to post? When is it appropriate to 'comment' and what is appropriate to say? And it feels like everyone is observing me all the time, since my responses are visible to everyone. I get envious of people who can use it more easily because I feel more disconnected and frustrated than ever when using it. More 'on the outside looking in' feelings.

I pm my friends but can't really figure it out otherwise..

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2020, 8:15 am

Social media of any kind bores me to death

Other Julie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2020, 1:23 pm

I totally know how you feel. I feel like my life was qualitatively better pre-social media. All it's done is make me feel inadequate and like a failure. I haven't accomplished as much as people I used to know nor do I have nearly as many friends or as vast of a social life and now the fact that I'm not using it and enjoying like everyone else is makes me feel like even more or a reject. The only reason I have a FB account is to use messenger since my mom - who is 78 - refuses to get a smart phone. For awhile I kept hoping it was a trend and that people would get sick of it and abandon it, but no such luck.

hifiveghost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2020, 10:32 pm

Social media definitely stresses me out. I have Facebook but it's just too much in a short period of time. I try to stay off as much as possible, but still have accounts to follow some of my favorite celebrities (mainly favorite baseball players).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 5:22 am

Social media... Not entirely sure what it is really. I did try facebook and twitter about a decade ago but I found people kept following me on twitter so I deleted the account and on facebook, one of my cousins wives was putting rather rude pictures up which came up on my home page, and I could not delete them or they would be offended and so I deleted the account. Even though I deleted the account, someone said my account was re-activated and I keep getting emails from facebook saying someone has added a photo etc. Yet I don't have a clue how to close it and I never re-opened it. Stupid facebook! Surely is it illegal to re-open my account without my permission?

But I origionally thought about the news on TV with this thread title. My Mum keeps putting it on and I get soo stressed with it. I just can't watch so when she is not by the TV I change the channel before she notices.