Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

I was wondering if they're were aspies who dont have social difficulties but may have different aspie symptoms. They can socialize find and make friends when they want to. They can read social cues and respond fine. Without camoflauging their difficulties and didnt have to overcome a lot in order to reach this level. Im not like this, I was mostly curious.

Edit: Im not saying this is my goal, I was just asking. I've seen occasional posts on here of supposid self-diagnosed aspies with a lot of friends or once had a lot of friends, etc. I once saw a post of an aspie who was complaining of having too many friends.

Last edited by Ai_Ling on 23 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

Good luck.

Arisa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

With practice (lots of it), you can become "bilingual" and develop better social skills. Aspies who naturally have social skills, though...ehhh. I doubt they exist. :/ If they didn't have these social problems, they wouldn't be called Aspies.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

There's no such thing as an aspie without social difficulties.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

ignorance is bliss...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 7:44 pm

All aspies have social difficulties. You can't have AS and not have social difficulties. Even if one has lot of friends or is a social butterfly doesn't mean they have great social skills.

But is it possible for an aspie to overcome their social difficulties?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

^ In response to your question I think it is, only it's extremely difficult.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

You can't be diagnosed with Asperger's without being impaired socially. It's the first sentence in the diagnostic criteria.

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 3:39 am

The blunt answer is no.

By definition an aspie has social difficulties, they can learn to get around them somewhat but there are difficulties involved with that. The term for someone claiming to be an aspie and yet has no social difficulties is "self diagnosed tool who somehow thinks claiming to be AS makes them more special/unique."

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 1:38 am

[/quote]The blunt answer is no.

By definition an aspie has social difficulties, they can learn to get around them somewhat but there are difficulties involved with that. The term for someone claiming to be an aspie and yet has no social difficulties is "self diagnosed tool who somehow thinks claiming to be AS makes them more special/unique."[quote]

well that was my perception. I do think theres plenty of awkward NTs on here who are supposedly self diagnosed. When it maybe something else or the person is just imaging things. What about those many many stories where people who try so hard to get diagnosed. Like they go from psych to psych until someone diagnoses them.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

No. BUT...

Personally, I have had an intuitive understanding of reading body language, tone of voice, etc. since I was young. I just don't respond to them right. Like, if I'm trying to express condolences, I may sound indifferent instead, and smiling has always been awkward for me. So the difference to NTs I interact with is very minimal. I might say something like, "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to give an inquisitive look as a segue to a request for more detailed information, not to give you the impression I'm suspicious of your motives and/or think you're crazy." Then they just think I'm crazy.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 5:02 am

I have very minimal problems with social skills, although it took me years to learn most of them. I also dont come across as awkwardly as others on the spectrum because I have practiced these skills so much...problems do arise, however, when I have to deal with intense emotions, which I cannot handle well because of my anxiety disorder.

I'd like to emphasise that while my social skills are fine, it does NOT mean I am fine in other areas of my life. My anxiety disorder (according to my therapist) is the result of the self-conciousness I faced when i learned that my social skills were horrible as a kid, and the intense scrutiny and self-analysing behaviour I put myself through constantly in order to blend in with others. It is debilitating, and majorly affects nearly every aspect of my life. If I could trade it to be fully autistic again and oblivious of my behaviour, I would.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Lord_Boofhead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes because we are all Gibbering Idiots...

*Sigh* I hate this stereotype. I think its getting worse as AS is becoming more accepted by the mainstream. Back when I was diagnosed I was told I had problems and told to damn well do something about it. Now days the kids are mollycoddled and don't bother trying to improve themselves.

oceandrop wrote:
You can't be diagnosed with Asperger's without being impaired socially. It's the first sentence in the diagnostic criteria.

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

You can feasibly have the second half of (D) and (A) and still be able to function in social situations.

Even (b) is feasible. When I was a kid I tended to get along with adults better than I did with my peers...

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 1:51 am

One learns to cope, though I seriously doubt there is a person like you described in the first post. Perhaps after a lot of work one might be capable of being good at the social stuff. The social world is, after all, still formulaic (especially in environments like school). Also, even if one might manage that, he/she might still dislike the social part of the world.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

nichiren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

I always wonder are we aspies just a different part of the human spectrum.
not having a condition just that the 'normal socializing' that is assumed of most people is not as typical human nature that psychs and other alike would have us believe.

sure in certain times in history strong community connections were needed to survive.
but for a while now , in different locales, people can survive by themselves in a practical manner.

and with the advent of the internet, one can communicate or deal with tohers as much as one chooses or as litttle as possible.

guess my point is do the majority of humans still need to be social creatures in the traditional sense anymore?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

earthmonkey wrote:
No. BUT...

Personally, I have had an intuitive understanding of reading body language, tone of voice, etc. since I was young. I just don't respond to them right. Like, if I'm trying to express condolences, I may sound indifferent instead, and smiling has always been awkward for me. So the difference to NTs I interact with is very minimal. I might say something like, "Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to give an inquisitive look as a segue to a request for more detailed information, not to give you the impression I'm suspicious of your motives and/or think you're crazy." Then they just think I'm crazy.

I think Im similar to you. I cant say I have an intuitive ability to understand body language and tone but I learned it and I picked it up much faster then my ability to show body language. I even had a discussion with my NT friend about this, he cant recall a time when I really didnt pick something up. My abilities to understand someone is around average, on the low end but average never the less. Yet my abilities to perform is still lacking. This was from almost 10 yrs of being mute with no friends. Despite this, I was still a very strong observer.