Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:09 pm

I was talking to an NT online and they called me a robot. I'll try not to be upset, because robots are smart. They then said I didn't sound interested in what they were saying. But I was.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:12 pm

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 6:46 pm

When you say you were talking online, were you literally talking, or where you typing?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 7:44 am

Typing.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 2:46 pm

Does this person know that you're on the autism spectrum?

I would give yourself some time to think about this and then go back and talk to her(? him?) about it. It sounds like you accidentally hurt the other person's feelings, so then they retaliated by trying to hurt your feelings in return. It's generally known that calling an autistic person, or an autistic-like person a "robot" is offensive, like calling a man a "pansy" or calling a person of color a nickname that relates to their race. You just don't do it.

You could open with, "Could you please tell me what I did or said that made you think I wasn't paying attention? I WAS paying attention and I don't want make the same mistake of seeming inattentive in the future." (Or you could phrase it better than I just did)

Then you could say something like, "I wish that you had just asked me if I was paying attention, instead of calling me a robot. That really hurt my feelings."

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 10:03 am

No, I didn't tell them I was on the spectrum. I ended up blocking them because they later said they wanted to talk to me in a sexier way and I'm not into that kind of thing. I don't get how they like me enough to want to talk like that yet call me a robot. Thanks for answering.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 12:46 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
No, I didn't tell them I was on the spectrum. I ended up blocking them because they later said they wanted to talk to me in a sexier way and I'm not into that kind of thing. I don't get how they like me enough to want to talk like that yet call me a robot. Thanks for answering.

Oh jeez. What a weirdo. I'm sorry that happened.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 7:24 am

Don't feel bad, my own family tells me I'm robotic all the time. My mom even said I was from Mars :P

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 11:32 am

Thanks Soc. Sorry to hear that green.

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2016, 11:46 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
I was talking to an NT online and they called me a robot. I'll try not to be upset, because robots are smart. They then said I didn't sound interested in what they were saying. But I was.

They're just ignorant about you , your condition and probably a lot more as well.

I wouldn't worry about being called a robot because they're great !

Amazing clever , amazingly strong , efficient , reliable and trustworthy etc etc etc .

There aren't too many negatives as regards robots :)

My boss came up to me a few years ago and apologised to me for something she'd said about me in a meeting involving all my colleagues ( team meeting which I'd missed ) . She'd said something about a pupil being 'slow' but then made a flippant comment towards me which she immediately regretted .

I was slightly hurt , but not for what she'd said as I have rather high IQ , higher than anyone else's in the department , I'd imagine ... what hurt me was the thought of others smiling or having a laugh at my expense .

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:23 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
Thanks Soc. Sorry to hear that green.

I mostly think its funny because I'd rather be robotic then be someone who's controlled by emotions which most of my family kinda is.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:49 am

Maybe the person was trying, and failing, to tell you they were interested in you describing your emotions, or how horny you were, or something? Shrug. I doubt this person gave their flippant comment another thought. :(

The context was way different for me, but I thought I'd share, in case you might be interested. One of my friends called me Data, you know, the android AI in Star Trek TNG? I was trying to break down complex emotions into their components, and my friend said you can't do that. It sounded a lot like how Data tries to understand and analyze emotions, although in Data's case, he doesn't feel them. My friend and I laughed about it, but if the person had been critical instead, that wouldn't have been cool. My friend laughs at himself too, so it was OK.

Cheyenne.m
Raven
Raven

22 May 2016, 10:04 am

Its just uneducated people as a NT myself I met my first person on the Spectrum in school 2 weeks ago and i was a jerk because i didn't know any better thats why i'm here.now and i've learned alot

It's a glorious thing to ride a lion but remember you have to dismount

MaizeFlower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

I often get called a chat bot, computer, or robot irl and even online as well. It offended me at first because it made me feel less human to people, but now I am flattered by it. I am flattered because it shows I have the capacity to output strings and my own thoughts as a complex flesh machine. :lol:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 1:34 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
I ended up blocking them because they later said they wanted to talk to me in a sexier way and I'm not into that kind of thing. I don't get how they like me enough to want to talk like that yet call me a robot. Thanks for answering.

Sounds like an idiotic wanabee pick-up artist to me. He's heard that wierd and nasty piece of advice about seducing women by insulting them, and now he's all: "I can do that! Now I'm Casanova."

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 6:52 pm

I've been called Spock once or twice, which is funny because the only thing Spock and I have in common is that we're both aliens. :lol:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII