Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 4:32 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Online friendships haven't affected my social skills! They're still just as sh** :P

LOL - Good one.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 12:10 am

Online friendships are a blessing to me.In real life, I find it hard to make friends, but online, it is easier because people see me for my personality and not my "wierd aspie quirks".I have met 2 people in person whom I first met online. One of them, who I met on another site, after meeting me in person a few times, passed me off as a creep because of my traits and forgetfullness and trying too hard since I never had any loyal real life friends.I thought at the time he would be different from past real life friendship ending experiences, but I was wrong, BUT the other, who I met on facebook, who I also met in person, still likes me and talks to me. We are now closer than before since meeting online.Online, there are decent people but there are also A-holes to look out for.

Maybe this bishop should try talking to a few aspies and asking them how the internet has affected them...maybe he would change his initial opinion.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Last edited by Tory_canuck on 09 Aug 2009, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 1:36 am

The article probably should have read "Archbishop slams addiction to social networking".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 3:57 pm

Keeno wrote:
Social networking websites such as Facebook and MySpace encourage teenagers to build "transient relationships" that can leave them traumatised and even suicidal when they collapse, the head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has warned.

"Among young people often a key factor in them committing suicide is the trauma of transient relationships," he said. "They throw themselves into a friendship or network of friendships, then it collapses and they're desolate."

I'll just stick with the traumatising and transient relationships I have in real life then, shall I? :lol:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 4:49 pm

That's it... I'm un-friending him now. :P

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 7:55 pm

gbollard wrote:
That's it... I'm un-friending him now. :P

LOL

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2009, 11:11 pm

Keeno wrote:
Archbishop Nichols said the sites encouraged young people to put too much emphasis on the number of friends they have rather than on the quality of their relationships.

It is true. I see some people on Facebook with 400, maybe 500 friends. Common, don't let me believe anyone knows that many people with any kind of intimacy at all. :scratch: You can hardly call the guy you met waiting in line for Def Leppard tickets seventeen years ago a friend; you met these people once (maybe not even in person) but they're a Facebook friend. We're somehow confusing acquaintances with friends, and perhaps that's what the arch-bishop is talking about. It's great to have a large circle of friends, online or off. Just make sure they truly are your friends.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 4:08 am

The online friendship that I have is very important to me (as in, it's one of my lifelines).

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 4:37 am

well... I only have pople that I know from outside and WP.. just use it responcibly and you will be fine... and cyber bullying.. has any one heard of blocking :roll:

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 6:33 am

Not the archbishop :wink:

If it makes people lose the 'ablity' to read body language... is that such a bad thing? It means people will have to put more emphasis on what the person is actually saying, making it harder to tell half truths. It reduces it to an all-or-nothing lying scheme.

I don't know why he has a probelm with individuality. Does he yearn for the ood old days when peasents were peasents and listened only to the Pope or the King?

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 7:57 am

So that's why he didn't reply when I sent an e-mail to him... :cry:

Anyway, I'm sure he made plenty of friends in the Hitler Jugend.

EDIT: The Pope, that is, not the Archbishop. :lol:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 7:31 pm

I've completely outgrown social networking sites...hell, I don't even get on AIM anymore.

And given all the bullying I had to deal with in real life, bullying through the internet is a whole lotta nothing to me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 12:13 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
The online friendship that I have is very important to me (as in, it's one of my lifelines).

What she said.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 2:55 pm

Social networking sites and online friendships aren't inherently bad.

But it's still important to acknowledge them for what they are.

Just some people you occasionally talk to. Or might have never talked to, if you have a bunch of people on your Facebook list who just randomly add strangers.

Truth is, you have no idea who the person you're talking to really is. They could be a scammer, they could be a predator, or they could just be someone who misrepresents themselves just for s***s and giggles.

Just don't get too attached to someone you've never even met. That's how the whole Lori Drew fiasco ended. A teenage girl got too attached to a (fake) boy that she never met, and killed herself when they "broke up" on Myspace. The woman who pulled the prank was never charged with anything related to the death, and she was even acquited of the lesser charge of "accessing computers without authorization".

Just as long as your feet are still firmly on the ground, online 'friendships' are perfectly normal. Just don't give out personal information or say that you're in love with them, or something.