Can you be Asperger's and still be "cool"?

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:15 pm

On another note getting back to the original topic...I think a lot of people find talented people to be "cool". Lot's of people on the spectrum become very talented in their field of interest (for example skating). This gives them a sort of boost on the "cool meter" and also gets them respect. This in turn usually results in the person becoming more confident in themselves and more accepting of their disorder. I find anyone who is confident and accepting of themselves to be cool.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:19 pm

I could even dance on roller skates, back in the day, just another one of those myths I take it.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2010, 1:47 am

Believe it or not, yes. However, VERY few Aspies I know of IRL (and trust me, I know a LOT of 'em!!) have accomplished this as far as I'm concerned. And no, I do NOT consider myself "cool" (thank goodness I'm not!! :P )

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 2:33 am

I've learned with enough bruises, I can generally 'do' anything. Doing it well is a different thing entirely; roller skating falls into that category for me. I've learned to ride a bike, could skate poorly when I was a child, but other coordination challenges abound for me. That I can play drum set at all astounds me, though I would still put it in that first category (it's functional, not artistic, not to my expectation/standard)... my skill is primarily in orchestral/band percussion. However, I'm getting off topic.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2010, 5:59 am

I think so..

I've been called "cool" before and in all honesty I think I'm pretty cool. That sounds pretty arrogant but I have reasonable self-esteem. I've also been called arrogant before.. go figure.. :lol:

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 8:26 am

dustintorch wrote:
On another note getting back to the original topic...I think a lot of people find talented people to be "cool". Lot's of people on the spectrum become very talented in their field of interest (for example skating). This gives them a sort of boost on the "cool meter" and also gets them respect. This in turn usually results in the person becoming more confident in themselves and more accepting of their disorder. I find anyone who is confident and accepting of themselves to be cool.

Exactly. I never feel more confident than when i'm at a skating rink. I hate going to a new one, i can drive past a few times to make sure i know where the entrance is and where to park. i can park up and sit working out exactly where to enter and make sure i know which door opens and in which direction. When i get there i stand still for a while checking how many people are there, getting used to the sound level, getting a feeling for the size of the building and shape and where i am relative to the entrance etc. Then where to sit, where the lockers are, where the DJ is, what the average age/gender/race/fashion is. I then tend to put my skates on fairly slowly, sort all my stuff out, then go skate round slowly for a few laps checking everyone out.

Then i build some confidence and start to do some stuff and relax, smile, even catch eye contact with people etc and it all flows from there. I know people there think i'm cool or are jealous or want to ask how to do things or just want to associate with me, so that puts me in control and i get to set the rules.

As for my motor skills. I show a slight lack of fine motor skills. I don't remember the correct terms but i scored 100% on the "identify the pattern and select which comes next" test, but on the "organise these blocks to show the pattern on the page" test i scored just above average and got hardly any speed points. This is backed up by my poor artistic ability, poor hand writting, i don't play FPS computer games etc.
However I was a county/national standard athlete in technical events (Hurdles and Highjump) and while i was no better than the other regular skaters when i was 14 or so, i was the one who really practiced and improved and have been among the best where ever i go since i was 18 or so (13 long years ago!). I've moved from hockey style fast/dodging skating to a more tricks and dancing style now though.

So another long rambling post but yes, my motor skills are fine and i very much have AS.

JurisDoctor12
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2010, 2:28 pm

I think so. I think of myself as cool. I'm a snowboarder, modeled at Abercrombie & Fitch while I was in college. I drive a HUMMER and have good style. It sucks tho because the main thing that gets people attention about me is my looks and my cool clothes/watches. Some people, once they see how awkard/shy I can be they just write me off. They're the one's who are un-cool.

moonnymph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2010, 8:37 am

It really comes down to your concept of cool, I think I am pretty cool. ;)

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:44 am

Of course...but to a select few....and in certain circumstances.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 10:51 am

JurisDoctor12 wrote:
I think so. I think of myself as cool. I'm a snowboarder, modeled at Abercrombie & Fitch while I was in college. I drive a HUMMER and have good style. It sucks tho because the main thing that gets people attention about me is my looks and my cool clothes/watches. Some people, once they see how awkard/shy I can be they just write me off. They're the one's who are un-cool.

The people that write you off aren't un-cool. They're mentally ill.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 1:44 pm

There are too many factors that affect "coolness".

Best thing I can say though, just act, dont overthink the social situations and stuff, and you might get more positive social attention, worked for me, I can say that much.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 9:07 pm

Know the tem "Cool" is used as a form of popularity. Cool is someone that shows that they are a leader, a random style for every one. but also kind, Like it's all to do with personality (and I can tell you now, Looks has nothing to dop with it. trust me). The First day of high school helps alot, just got to show your self. So basicly your acting; But may say it's bad to act, that's not you and you have to be an actor every day of your life. It's really only temporery for about the first 2 weeks.. After that, your.. well.. Cool.
I could make a whole book on this, lol. "Being Cool By Blake Reilly" But i'm the writing type, :P

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:17 pm

I wish somebody would define "Coolness". It's one of those words which everybody knows but doesn't know the exact meaning of. I think "Blake_Be_Cool" had a good description, popularity. I never made myself look "cool" on my first day of High School, actually, today is my first day of the school year... I dislike school immensely.

makuranososhi wrote:
I've learned with enough bruises, I can generally 'do' anything. Doing it well is a different thing entirely; roller skating falls into that category for me. I've learned to ride a bike, could skate poorly when I was a child, but other coordination challenges abound for me. That I can play drum set at all astounds me, though I would still put it in that first category (it's functional, not artistic, not to my expectation/standard)... my skill is primarily in orchestral/band percussion. However, I'm getting off topic.

M.

I tend to do the same, I learned to ride a bike without training wheels eventually even though it was difficult, but I could never roller skate, I remember trying ice skating. Worst mistake of my life, I had to hold the walls of the... whatever it is you ice skate in to stay on my feet.

Still it's not impossible for somebody with AS to have better motor control. It is a spectrum...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:24 pm

Being "cool" is related to social groups. I find it hard to believe anyone with an impairment in social interaction could last very well in a clique or whatnot.

But cool can be defined in other ways. Someone with Asperger's could be cool to other groups, it just depends.

Silverweed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 1:52 am

I think that coolness is one of those things where any time you're wanting to be it or trying to be it, it probably isn't it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 2:57 am

i am more than cool. people think i am a very cold person.