How do you deal with feeling painfully alone?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2010, 6:18 am

I usually try to occupy myself with a video game/book. Also, being in a club of sorts is helpful, for example, my D&D group.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 2:51 pm

I've simply learned to do without. Like anything, after a while I get use to something. I work 40 hours a week to try to spend my time somewhere, doing something.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

skylark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2010, 9:36 am

I am going through an intensely lonely place in my life at the moment, im 31, single and just getting closeto God, I have only my bible, christian music, despite all my issues, social anxiety, depression, mild adhd, possibly on austistic spectrum, not yet dx thou, this is a tough phase in my life, but despite the pain, im plodding on, i think the worse situations are the ones where you want to share things with, I have a birthday coming up on sept 25 yet I have no friends to celebrate it with, it's because im embarrassed about asking this of anyone, always think they wont like to come anyway, i hate the fact i want to travel and go on theatre trips, but all in all God has a plan for my life and he is a good god, even with all the trials, I know some good will come out of this.

H x

nomii
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

It's hard to cope with loneliness especially when it happens to you all the time. And I'm on the same boat as you.

My way of coping is surf the net looking at stuff. Draw pictures, watch online videos, listen to music I like or looking for music with meaningful lyrics.
Praying to God helps me too.

skylark wrote:
I have a birthday coming up on sept 25 yet I have no friends to celebrate it with, it's because im embarrassed about asking this of anyone, always think they wont like to come anyway

You're a Christian too, right? I'm sure you go to church. Why don't you invite your 'spiritual' brothers/sisters to come to your party? It's a great way for them to know you so you won't be left out.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

Dear person,

I have a fiance and a son who love me, or so they tell me, and I know I love them, but I still have days where I feel painfully alone.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you speak more of loneliness, than of being alone. Do you wish for me people in your life or do you wish for connectedness?

Attaining connectedness is infinitely harder(although not impossible) than attaining people. You could have a room full of people and feel completely disconnected, and that is the conundrum I so often face.

When I am without people, I do not feel loneliness, but I do understand that I am alone. I do not struggle with being alone, but I do struggle with intimacy. To replace human intimacy, but to feel SOME intimacy at all, I channel my "love" feelings to objects. Objects have no conditions or feelings and will provide joy constantly. They are a good thing to have until you meet the right people that you can feel some measure of intimacy with.

Hope that helps, and I do understand your pain.

Mics

cleo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

Exercise for me too. I used to run long distances, now I walk.

Have you tried volunteering? Library, ambulance corps (do you know CPR?), fire house, hospitals like volunteers too and old age homes. I knew someone who volunteered at her local police station one night a week. I thought that sounded exciting but I never heard of anyone doing it where I live. Volunteer for local officials running for election. People volunteer to clean up parks, and clear trails, or plant flowers, where I live.

You get to meet all the other volunteers. Think of it as a free chance to meet people. Often a diverse group shows up. Take your time, don't rush into chat, just remember to smile if someone comes up to you. They will think you are shy. It's okay. Museums need volunteers too.

Make a list and try everything in your area, one at a time. Hopefully you'll find a group you fit with.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

I cry. A lot. I'll post something on WP or some other site hoping to get support from my friends since my family doesn't care about my problems. D:

EtherealTiger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2010, 7:15 pm

I feel your pain, Erisad

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2010, 4:48 am

Salvya wrote:
I remind myself that emotions, including loneliness, are ultimately transient, and loneliness won't actually kill me. With time and effort, it will eventually pass. Reducing the intensity makes it easier to think of solutions. For me, loneliness is most intense when I discover something exciting to explore or share, and I realize I have no one to share it with. When that happens, I attempt to make contact with people that are likely to value the things that I value, by joining specific clubs or talking online. In the intervening time, reading books about my interests reminds me I'm not alone in them. I also go out for walks, and look at the stars. I examine nature and contemplate how vast the universe is, and how much of it I haven't seen yet. When I feel up to it, I take risks, and talk to strangers in museums or bookstores about things that we're both there to enjoy. I make sure I'm eating well, sleeping, and bathing, so physical necessity does not compound the problem.

I remind myself that objectively, each of us is always 'alone'. Life as a conscious biological organism is a solitary affair - we can communicate information and interpret the behavior of others, but they are not in my head, and they are not physically me. So, since the feeling is technically correct, but emotionally negative, and yet some people (transiently) feel emotionally happy and lack loneliness, I deconstruct the contents of my feeling so that I can consider realistic solutions. I label the feeling with shades of other, progressively more precise words that describe my emotions, like a desire for intimacy, conversation, physical company, laughter, games, affection, etc. I think of ways to solve each aspect of the feeling a piece at a time. Then I try a tactic to gain what I want, evaluate the results, alter my strategy, and repeat it until something works. Sometimes I do research or, if I can, ask others in the situation what they felt and observed. Persistence has been the most crucial element of success.

This is absolutely beautiful.

bagelsprite
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

I usually ignore it until it peaks.
Then I cry alone in my room until I either run out of tears and feel the loneliness pass, or I fall asleep.
Sometimes, watching a happy movie will help. Or baking cookies.

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm

On a technical level there are a few things I've learned about socialization through rote memorization over the years:

-When people respond to what I'm saying with nods and "oh," "uh huh" and "really?" it means they are losing interest in what I have to say. It is best to dig for something they are interested in talking about.

-People enjoy warmth and one or two genuine compliments. They enjoy compliments that are truly meant and they can tell the difference between fake and real ones. They also don't like to be overloaded with compliments.

-People are concerned if my facial expressions do not change. Sometimes I deliberately change my facial expression in an attempt to communicate.

-People like humor. I have used some of the weirder aspects of my personality to my advantage, and have finally found a way to express my sense of humor without being ridiculous or offensive. It is a delicate balance but my humor has become one of my strengths in social interaction.

focusfactor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2010, 8:20 am

meet people on the internet

focusfactor

23 Aug 2010, 8:22 am

go to a club or even a fetish party for other singles and be open minded to try new things and always wear a condom

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 10:06 am

I go through periods of feeling like I want nothing to do with other people then periods where all I want is to have friends around me. Right now I'm in the latter and it really sucks. Nothing is really making me happy so I'm trying to throw myself into work. I just feel tired all the time and lonely and like no one really cares about me. People suck because I want to be friends with them but I am afraid of them not understanding me,

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:03 pm

I volunteer at an animal shelter. :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 6:08 am

I just got an iPad, and I mean seriously, who needs a girlfriend when you have an iPad?