Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Website called meetup.com I'm going to go to a few of the meetings they seem geared entirely towards meeting new people and making friends with people who share the same interests as you do.

Asperation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2014, 5:24 am

I am fine with going out alone , I have gone out to the movies museums etc. by my self and enjoyed the adventure and the peace of being alone.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

I go out by myself every day.

I go the the coast. I visit museums. I go to the gym. I have even walked into a quiet pub by myself but people tend to gossip about that one (especially if you live in a small village).

Today I went along the coast up to Hunstanton and had a sandwich in a cafe with a sea view again.

If I waited for someone else to go out with I'd never leave the house and I hate spending all my times indoors...so out I go on my lonesome. I can quite enjoy being on my own sometimes, other times I think a little company might be nice.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

I like staying in my room all day, playing The Sims 3, or studying humans, on my computer, and just getting up to do the usual things, every day.

I tell people who know me that I want them to bug me about going places even though I will probably say no, because it is good for me and it shows me that they're still my friend, and I don't refuse to go because I don't like them, I just don't have the "stress points" available most of the time because they never tell me enough in advance for me to save up for the outing. I understand that it's hard to take rejection, but people have to try to understand that I just can't get out as often as they can.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

If I didn't do that I'd never go out.
I enjoy being able to do whatever I feel like and being able to just do stuff without endless discussion.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2014, 5:17 am

KingofKaboom wrote:
melmaclorelai wrote:
I don't have any problems with going out by myself as long as I know exactly where I'm going as well as how to get there and get back home. I'm not so good with directions and maps so I always make sure that I've researched the area beforehand and have my own instructions or directions of where to go.

I enjoy going out by myself because I get to do things at my own pace and I don't have to defer to anyone else.
I bought a garmin for this purpose it's really useful in finding an exact location but can be mistaken on just how soon the turn after the next will be. It also doesn't predict parking >.>

I'm guessing a garmin is something you use with a car? I don't drive at the moment so I don't imagine it'd be much use for me right now.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 11:48 am

I have NO problem going out and doing things by myself. In fact, I prefer it. I would do it more but these darn social obligations can be so tiresome.

poemadayguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm

Sare wrote:
I go out by myself all the time - walking, shopping, and movies.

I am exactly the same. I even go bowling by myself, but even I have to admit that's slightly depressing! :) It's not like I've got a choice thought, I have 3 friends, although one of them has basically stopped talking to me because I was messaging them to much 8O so I've got 2 active friends.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie.

Culture Fair IQ:128 (Top 4%)

legokitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

Some navigation devices will tell you a walking route and give miles and time. I think my very old Magellan had it.

I've noticed afternoon movies have a lot of singles. And its less busy so that's a bonus. You avoid crowds.

Fortran77
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

I'm okay going out by myself to the mall, museums, park, etc., although I like company too. Movies by yourself can be fun sometimes........but going out to a restaurant or bar by myself is pretty depressing to me. I usually only to that if I'm out on a business trip or something, but even then, I'd rather order room service.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2014, 9:56 pm

Personally, I'm very uncomfortable going out in public alone unless I'm going somewhere I'm really familiar with, like my local grocery store. I don't eat at restaurants alone. If I must eat while I'm out alone I will get take out and eat in my car. I am definitely not the type to go hang out at Starbucks. Probably the most leisurely activity I might do alone is browse a bookstore. Otherwise, I'm on a mission to get items on a list and go home.

Today I had to drive my partner to work at 2:30pm and I had a class in town at 5:30pm. I told her I would hang around town and grab a bite to eat before class. That's what a normal person would do, right? I really couldn't think of anywhere I wanted to go other than home so I drove all the way home, worked on the computer for two hours, and ate a bowl of Cheerios before driving back to town for class.

My father's mother was reclusive and so is my father. He avoids going out if he can. My mother goes on trips without him. His excuse is he has to stay home to take care of their two dogs. I can only speculate that my "homebody" traits are genetic.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm

Often than not, I need a familar for all journeys unless I know exactly where I'm going after practicing it. Otherwise I only leave the house for important situations.

Often when I'm on my own, I often have to take Gwydion and Rhoslyn with me for reassurances, they're often willing to come to my aid when I'm struggling.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

LeftWeems

22 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm

Honestly? I like going out on my own. I used to do quite a bit on weekends in college. I had a couple regular bars that I liked going to. Granted, I think it would have been more fun if I were in the shape I'm in now combined with the social confidence I've acquired with that and learning from friends. I prefer to go out with other people given the choice because I don't really like hitting up strangers for conversations and I think I tend to way over-drink if I'm out on my own and that sometimes leads to trouble. Now, that said, I do have an overseas trip in the works that will mostly be alone but by then, I think I'll be more at ease since by that point, it will be pretty much a whole year since I've had the new confidence.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

I go out by myself all the time and have done so for the last 6 and a half years, meaning since I was a sophomore in college. I get bored and just head out with no real plan outside of go to a restaurant and eat, look at stuff in the mall and wander around the area just to get some peace of mind.

MrBackward
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2014, 10:38 am

I only go out on my own for a walk or the movies, the rest is a no-no for me.
I find it depressing being that lonely guy doing stuff all on his lonesome so I mostly keep to myself.
BUT...
If my friends suggest something I will go, I considered that saying "no" all the time is bad long term for me.

daar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 3:27 pm

When I am living by myself I don't have too much trouble doing most things by myself. I used to have pretty bad social anxiety last year, but with a combination of a lose dose relaxant and mental conditioning now I only get anxious when I'm triggered by something that makes me anxious (I'm off medication at the moment). I only feel uncomfortable doing things where the social norm is that you pretty much have to be with someone else. The major thing that I don't do by myself is eat at restaurants where you have to sit down (not fast food or quick food). I like going to the movies by myself more than going with other people as odd as that seems for someone with social anxiety. Well I suppose I think it seems odd because I used to live in a big city where I had to take the subway to the theater or walk all the way there.