Does anybody else here despise alcohol?

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm

^^^
YAY :) another tacoman! :thumleft: welcome to the club, Lyra :)

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:14 pm

Thank you , AuntBlabby.

I went looking for the Tacoma Asperger's Women's support group, but the e-mail inquiry bounced.
Do you know anything about it?

Will I be in trouble if I don't bring this post back around to hating alcohol?

I've read about hangovers and I never want to have one.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Thank you , AuntBlabby. I went looking for the Tacoma Asperger's Women's support group, but the e-mail inquiry bounced.
Do you know anything about it? Will I be in trouble if I don't bring this post back around to hating alcohol? I've read about hangovers and I never want to have one.

no trouble, you kept it on subject by reiterating your dislike of alky. you are almost exactly between the various seattle meetups and the oly meetup that I belong to. try square pegs and search for aspergers or aspie meetup, Tacoma.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
no trouble, you kept it on subject by reiterating your dislike of alky. you are almost exactly between the various seattle meetups and the oly meetup that I belong to. try square pegs and search for aspergers or aspie meetup, Tacoma.

I really would want an Aspie Women's group, though. For reasons see plied with alcohol date rape, above, and Yes I do Like Hugs (in which post I allude to how I somehow give off flirt signals to guys without intending to).

I'm married, committed, and very much into traditional monogamy, so accidental flirt signals can be a real problem for me.

It would probably get worse if I ever actually drank enough to lower inhibitions. Another reason for me to despise alcohol and cling stubbornly to my temperance vow. ;)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:47 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
I really would want an Aspie Women's group, though. For reasons see plied with alcohol date rape, above, and Yes I do Like Hugs (in which post I allude to how I somehow give off flirt signals to guys without intending to). I'm married, committed, and very much into traditional monogamy, so accidental flirt signals can be a real problem for me. It would probably get worse if I ever actually drank enough to lower inhibitions. Another reason for me to despise alcohol and cling stubbornly to my temperance vow. ;)

you're probably gonna want to migrate north for the seattle woman's meetup [square pegs] headed by linda justham.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

Misery wrote:
Sting wrote:
I literally hate alcohol and everything it represents. I have never seen such a destructive substance so praised. It seems most socializing revolves around drinking, and honestly annoys me to no end. It just seems like another thing that separates me and makes me appear awkward and "dull" than I already am. Does anybody else feel this way?

Yeah, you sure as heck aint the only one.

I absolutely LOATHE the stuff. There is a deep, dark hatred that I have for it that goes way beyond pretty much any other thing that I dislike. And for me, that's really saying something, since I tend to hate most things just by default. Part of the reason why I call myself "Misery".

So for that hate to go so far.... yeah. There are few things, very few, that I detest more than that stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, the stuff is a form of poison. And why would I NOT see it that way? It wrecks lives, and can outright get someone killed. Hell, it's like a super-poison, in that it can not only kill whoever drank it, but can kill others that DIDNT drink it. Car crashes and whatnot. It doesnt just kill, it kills VIOLENTLY.

Now granted, most people dont go that far with it. But still, usage of the stuff is so freaking common. And I dont understand it. Why in the numerous hells would I want to drink something where the only effect of it is to make me temporarily dumb and slow? How in the hell is that a good thing? Dont answer that, I dont actually want to know; I feel like the answer would cause me to lose IQ points just by hearing it.

And even with it having that quality that makes those who drink it really stupid for awhile, people still do it. It's a major social thing, like you said. And of course if you DONT drink it, you're wierd, or you "dont have a life" or some damn stupid crap like that. Not that I care, mind you, because it goes both ways, and I see THEM as bloody stupid for drinking it at all. I refuse to associate with that sort.

As it is, I hate it SO much that I've pressed my ideas of it onto others in a way. Normally, I'm a very passive individual IRL. But not when that stuff is involved. Nobody drinks that stuff around me, because I can get NASTY about it. My mother and stepfather used to drink way too much, and while they never got mean, they did rather make idiots of themselves every time. This ended after a little "incident" when I finally lost what composure I had, and ended up standing outside in the driveway, shrieking at them at the top of my lungs about it, making damn sure everyone in the area could hear every word. I'm prone to dark moods as it is, but I'm rarely THAT angry. They stopped that habit pretty much immediately after that. Friends also dont drink around me either; I've never had to DO anything about it, but they know me well enough to know that it wouldnt be the brightest idea.

And yeah, I've heard the bit where it "helps people cope" with stuff or "improves their mood". The thing about that? Those feelings are FAKE. They're not real. They're illusions brought on by the booze; this is why they tend to fade immediately when it does. And over time, it usually actually makes things WORSE. Not that the person NOTICES this, what with the stuff making them dumb each time. If someone REALLY wants to feel better about something, and have it stick, they need to seek out other methods, things that will ACTUALLY help, not things that PRETEND to help. Ive seen too many people make this mistake, and absolutely without exception it ends badly.

And no, I dont care if someone here disagrees with me or thinks I'm being harsh/mean about this. I havent even STARTED to get harsh and mean. And my mind wont be changed on this one regardless.

You feel the exact same way about alcohol as I do. I literally despise the stuff and it brings such a level of frustration in me, unmatched by anything else. My hatred of it is an alien concept to most people. As I stated earlier, the majority of people act like alcohol is something sacred, yet cannot ever explain why and when they do, it's some idiotic reason. One foolish person once told me that we owe our survival to beer. I had never heard such drivel in my life. The "importance" of alcohol is so overstated, that's it ridiculously insane. Society has seemingly convinced itself that alcohol use is something we have to partake in and very rarely does anybody question why. And to touch on a point you made, alcohol only causes its users problems. It never improves anything regarding them. They always get overly emotional, angry or stupid, which makes most sober people around them annoyed or miserable, for a variety of reasons. And the idea of people using it as a social crutch is honestly, a little concerning. It's in my opinion, a form of addiction and a band aid solution.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 2:33 am

actually, women who have one drink per day and men who have one or two drinks per day tend to live longer than teatotallers. alcohol raises good cholesterol levels. (cut consumption in half when you reach 65.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 2:35 am

cathylynn wrote:
actually, women who have one drink per day and men who have one or two drinks per day tend to live longer than teatotallers. alcohol raises good cholesterol levels. (cut consumption in half when you reach 65.)

what about people who can't tolerate more than token amounts of alcohol? will half a cup of hard cider or weak [4%] wine with dinner work?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

what about people who can't tolerate more than token amounts of alcohol? will half a cup of hard cider or weak [4%] wine with dinner work?

probably helpful. might do it with lunch also.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 1:59 pm

cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

probably helpful. might do it with lunch also.

sounds good [HIC!] :drunken: to me.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2014, 2:07 pm

cathylynn wrote:

I question that claim. Similar claims were made about the "benefits" of smoking tobacco back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

is it my imagination, or are there fewer fat smokers than non-smokers? is there something about tobacco that lessens fat accumulation?

eloralouistra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

I hate the taste of alcohol, although I have nothing against people who drink. It does get very annoying when people act like you're uptight and can't be any fun if you don't drink though.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 5:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
is it my imagination, or are there fewer fat smokers than non-smokers? is there something about tobacco that lessens fat accumulation?

Nicotine is a stimulant, as well as an appetite suppressant. What this means is that smokers may eat less than non-smokers, and the stimulant effects of nicotine may help in burning off fat.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 5:50 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Nicotine is a stimulant, as well as an appetite suppressant. What this means is that smokers may eat less than non-smokers, and the stimulant effects of nicotine may help in burning off fat.

they need to bottle whatever that is and let me have it.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm

I don't like alcohol. Most of the worst experiences in my life have directly involved it in one way or another. I don't mind when people have a glass of wine at dinner, but I get absolutely disgusted when I see people who are visibly drunk....I lose any respect I have for someone when they get drunk. When I go to places like bars or clubs, I start getting panic attacks from all of the drunk people and have to leave, it just triggers too many negative emotions in me.