Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2014, 8:48 am

I don't see the huge deal about Facebook and the craze for "likes" and comments. I only have it to keep in touch with my family members.

I have had bad experiences on Facebook though. I've been cyber bullied on there before. First time was a few years ago when someone from my old primary school sent me a friend's request, only when I accepted it, he sent me messages saying that I was a worthless freak who deserved to die. I blocked him and reported him to his school after that. Second time was a previous bully of mine who threatened and harassed me on someone's post after I commented on it. I blocked him and reported him as well.

tromboneking
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Dec 2014, 11:29 am

I have had Facebook since I started high school. I am 21 now and a junior in college. I still check Facebook at least once a day, but my goal is to eventually get off of it or to not use my personal account other than to market myself as a musician (I play trombone and sing, and I hope to become a great composer, arranger, and bandleader some day).

I completely agree with many people here and the witnessed or experienced "flame wars." I read this article once about how current, controversial events often spark everybody to rush to express their "strong opinions" on the matter. However, what is challenging about this is that the original post often obstructs reasonable discussion. Also, what I've found is that people will make comments and will make jabs and insulting dismissals of other peoples' arguments. It is so easy to to leave comments like that and then leave, only to ignore the person(s) that you dismissed (later in time, sometimes as soon as about 10 minutes, there are at least 50 more comments if it is a hot topic).

Also, as a person who is interested in current events and a former political junky, I can say that I strongly recommend AGAINST having ANY sort of political discussion on facebook. Try a political forum or something similar (preferably one that is not one-sided, but I try to stay as non-ideological as possible). Reading comment sections on Facebook is strenuous (for the reasons mentioned above), can hurt your eyesight, and can exhaust your brain really fast (which, as people with Asperger Syndrome, is the last thing we all need).

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2014, 2:46 pm

Even though I know much of it is fake, I also know that most people have more fulfilling lives than I do, and share much of it on Facebook. It's yet another medium to punish the socially inept.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 7:44 pm

It is a shame to be unpopular. But even other types of people who you would think would be as unpopular as me seem to somehow get some likes and a string of replies. It seems ever since I nearly had a breakdown at the beginning of this year and wrote a few 'I feel so down' posts on facebook, I've been getting very few likes/comments since, even though I recovered well since the spring. It's as if people who did like my posts a lot suddenly hid my posts from their timeline, because I still see they're on facebook.

I have drama queens on my facebook who posts a load of 'I feel sorry for myself I want to end my life' stuff ALL THE TIME, but she always gets a string of soppy 'aww what's up hun? You can talk to me hun...'
Also I have a boy on facebook who is what society would call 'a sad person with no life'. He takes stupid selfies of himself with a cigarette in his mouth, and is always posting everything he does, like 'I'm sitting on a bus' or 'just ate a cheeseburger' or 'oh I'm drunk and feel sick', and these posts clog up my newsfeed because he puts about 10 posts an hour all day every day. He always seems to be on his own according to his pictures he posts, and doesn't seem to have a job, just rides on buses all day or sits at home and drinks. But he always seems to get likes and comments! I bet if I done that on facebook everyone will get fed up and delete me probably.

I just don't get life sometimes.