Why do I have to always make the first move?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 12:41 am

Don't let it frustrate you to much, others can see that frustration and it makes you look needy and thats a turn off to most people, or even for some a sign that your open to being used. women like men that knows what they want and so will make the first move, that confidence. just keep trying and don't let it get you down, its a numbers game. just look more in places where you have your own interests so you can find things in common to talk about.

CherryCoffee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2016, 1:46 am

It does suck, but I find it useful to very subtly reach out first in such a way that forces the burden of conversation onto the other person. Questions and compliments are especially effective for this, things along the lines of "nice shoes, where did you get them?" or "that food looks good, how is it?", then just sit back and allow them to speak, occasionally offering gestures of agreement or follow up questions that encourage them to speak more. I've made a few acquaintances that way, and if nothing else, you might still have a nice chat (or find a fun new clothing store or food place). It may be hard at first but practice makes perfect!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 4:54 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
My opinion?

Don't give up.

Truth is, most people in the world don't want to be friends ... with you, with me, with whoever. They find their "inner circle" and that's enough for them, they stop looking.

My grandmother used to always say that if you had two or three good friends, you were doing good ... and that the other people who claimed to be "friends" were usually fake. And she was a down-to-earth NT, very friendly and excellent at making small talk, loved getting together with people, etc.

And you know, people seem even more narcissistic nowadays than in my grandmother's time ... But there are still decent people out there today. You just have to look harder, and not settle for the wrong people.

True friends are a
treasure worth looking for,
and worth making the first move
to find.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding but despite being told not to give up, it looks like you are also telling me it's a lost cause to keep trying since most people already have a "circle".

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 6:16 pm

Marknis wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
My opinion?

Don't give up.

Truth is, most people in the world don't want to be friends ... with you, with me, with whoever. They find their "inner circle" and that's enough for them, they stop looking.

My grandmother used to always say that if you had two or three good friends, you were doing good ... and that the other people who claimed to be "friends" were usually fake. And she was a down-to-earth NT, very friendly and excellent at making small talk, loved getting together with people, etc.

And you know, people seem even more narcissistic nowadays than in my grandmother's time ... But there are still decent people out there today. You just have to look harder, and not settle for the wrong people.

True friends are a
treasure worth looking for,
and worth making the first move
to find.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding but despite being told not to give up, it looks like you are also telling me it's a lost cause to keep trying since most people already have a "circle".

It's not a lost cause.
Most people already have a circle.
True enough.
That said ...
Not all do.
Yes, it is a challenge.
I wish you the best ...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 6:30 pm

It's not a "lost cause."

Many friends happen to be made when people are older.

I don't have many friends from my younger days at all.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Dec 2016, 6:53 pm

Honestly I feel like people do sometimes make 'the first move' but it's just my cluelessness, paranoia, and social anxiety that more prevents me from being able to make connections with other people. I feel like if I can't trust myself socially then trusting other people seems almost out of the question. I am an avoidant person, that is my nature and fighting against that is a constant struggle.

K4NNW
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2017, 2:26 am

randomeu wrote:
im not sure, you know that first point when you go to school for the first time or uni or something, and everyone finds their feet with friends, guess whose standing in the corner alone by the end of it all? thats right, me, nobody really wants to be, but for me i think its just because nobody really liked me. the sighing and "aww" when i sat near them or they had to interact with me is clue enough.

i think with you though, its what pheonix said, people find thier circles, then stop looking.

That's how I predicted that I would lost my best friend from college (she 'found her feet with friends' and I was totally lost).
I've also observed that making that first move is hit-or-miss (usually a miss). The compliment or other conversation starter often winds up getting one-word responses or other "I'm not interested, now buzz off" cues.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:52 am

Unfortunately, things aren't getting better for me. I try to go to places that are meant to be social but others never initiate conversation with me unless I say something and the conversation won't last. Even when I tell the other person it was nice to meet them, they don't want to keep in touch.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

Most people size up a room first to identify who the popular people are and than try to connect. People do this without thinking. If you were a popular person in other places, these people will pick up on that and include you. It will flow naturally. If you're like me, you'll be dropped as soon as they see you are not like them.

This happens even in churches.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:05 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Most people size up a room first to identify who the popular people are and than try to connect. People do this without thinking. If you were a popular person in other places, these people will pick up on that and include you.

I'm a bit dubious about that. What's your proof?

However, I might give it a go. Popular people are probably good at small talk, so they can do all the talking, so it might make it easier on me.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2017, 10:11 pm

Not everyone is in need of friends.

If you are you had better do what you can.

If you want to have a friend you have to be a friend too.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 4:22 pm

hurtloam wrote:
HistoryGal wrote:
Most people size up a room first to identify who the popular people are and than try to connect. People do this without thinking. If you were a popular person in other places, these people will pick up on that and include you.

I'm a bit dubious about that. What's your proof?

However, I might give it a go. Popular people are probably good at small talk, so they can do all the talking, so it might make it easier on me.

I've had a think about this because it's a new idea to me and I have come to the conclusions that people look for people who are like themselves. If someone is not shy and geeky they probably aren't immediately drawn to the shy geeky types and will head over to speak to the people who are more like them. NTs are in the majority, so more will be drawn to each other than be drawn to us.

I don't think that they do it out of maliciousness. I think it's just subconscious. I'm not NT, but even I find it hard to be drawn to people I have nothing in common with. I try, but some people just wind me up the wrong way.

I try not to take offence if someone doesn't want to be my friend. Why should I make them hang out with me if they don't really like me. I'd rather not have pity friends.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

Social people who are non-judgemental, NT or otherwise, are the ones to go for. In my experience, the aspie men who did well, and some very well - were very open-minded and didn't always have a particular "type". And they were social and almost never complained about other people, and never about women. I'd never date an unsociable guy again. I've been there, done that, and it never ended well.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 6:35 pm

CherryCoffee wrote:
It does suck, but I find it useful to very subtly reach out first in such a way that forces the burden of conversation onto the other person. Questions and compliments are especially effective for this, things along the lines of "nice shoes, where did you get them?" or "that food looks good, how is it?", then just sit back and allow them to speak, occasionally offering gestures of agreement or follow up questions that encourage them to speak more. I've made a few acquaintances that way, and if nothing else, you might still have a nice chat (or find a fun new clothing store or food place). It may be hard at first but practice makes perfect!

That sounds like useful advice. I'm going to try that next time I go somewhere that has people. I know people love compliments and talking about themselves.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

Don't give up in making friends, but at the same time, you don't need to hunt out people with the intent of just making friends.

Do whatever you want to do, say go to a party, or simply go out and buy some stuff from the shops, any public places or situations will enable you to interact with people. Each interaction has a chance of developing into at least a slight friendship, as among all the billions of people on this earth, at least someone else wants to make another friend, and at least some of those people share interests with you. Then as well, you don't get the negative feeling from rejection, you just feel like you've got a bit of a bonus if you have made a friend. Inevitably, it won't give you hundreds of friends, but I doubt NT's really have as many friends as they claim to. I suspect like many aspects of life, they exaggerate a lot. Just look at how many of these so-called "friends" manage to fall out over tiny little matters.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php