How to deal with neighsayers on social media

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 6:42 am

I'm on a FB cycling group that has a couple of members who talk down to people. They're both middle aged guys with something to prove and apart from them the group has a really friendly vibe.

I really enjoyed it when several of the younger members told one of them to STFU last week. He tried to wriggle out of it with a bit of gaslighting and denial but he's not been back since :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 9:07 am

Has anyone dealt with people among their network of "Facebook friends?" Do you know the ones who you barely know seem to think they have a right to criticize you for having your own opinion on things?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 9:16 am

It’s easy to speak freely when you are safely behind your screen.

It can be interesting to hear the point of view of others, but it can be much more pleasant to focus on positive mutual interests instead.

I think it’s helpful to remember that you will never change another person’s opinion. If someone is rudely discussing personal matters with you without invitation (religion, politics, money), you could just change the subject. Over time, they should learn that it is pointless to bother you about delicate subjects.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 9:40 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Has anyone dealt with people among their network of "Facebook friends?" Do you know the ones who you barely know seem to think they have a right to criticize you for having your own opinion on things?
Everybody has the "Right to Criticize", even though they may have no reason to criticize -- some people seem to have no idea how to communicate without being critical of others, and they don't even seem to be aware of the criticisms they make.  I, for one, was raised under nearly constant criticism -- if I did something right, then I took too long; if I did something quickly, then I did it wrong; and if I did something quickly and correctly, then I should have been doing something else (there is no winning against a bipolar alcoholic) -- so I often come across as critical without even knowing it, due to having been raised that way.

Facebook is not a good place for people who cannot handle criticism.  Neither is WrongPlanet, for that matter.  Any social venue is risky if you're looking for compassion, tranquility, and acceptance.  Someone will eventually come along and criticize you for your age, sex, gender, culture, religion, political beliefs, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.  Even when everything you say is based on fact and reason, you can still expect to be criticized for pointing out the obvious or for being unoriginal.

There are better ways of dealing with criticism than with censorship and oppressive rules.

I deal with other people's criticisms as best I can, knowing that neither I nor the people in authority can prevent criticism being directed at me.  Most of the time, avoiding critical people is best, while "growing a thicker skin" works well for most other occasions.  When it doesn't I can still dismiss my critics as ignorant, attention-seeking narcissists who couldn't have a nice day with an E-ticket and a pocket full of twenty-dollar bills.

When all else fails, I can still intentionally dish it out as well as (or better than) they can.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:56 pm

You ride them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 11:20 pm

A crop and a saddle, and occasionally showing them a bottle of glue and winking before asking again for cooperation. Image

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TheOneAndOnlyShane
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 May 2020, 5:11 am

The "Mute" and "Block" buttons are powerful tools for combating trolls and malcontents that infest every corner of the internet. So is the "log out" button on the website or app interface, and the power button on your device.

What's great about this is that circumventing mutes/blocks through the creation of different accounts is usually a violation of terms of service, either through rules banning sockpuppeting or targeted harassment. Reporting accounts guilty of this will usually result in sanction being taken, sometime up to and including an IP ban.

And of course, going around bans, logouts, and power-offs by pursuing others across multiple sites and even into meatspace can sometime be dealt with through the courts or law enforcement.

Or, if any of these measures are too severe for your taste, just move along.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 3:25 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I blocked someone like that.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:38 pm

Just delete them. Why keep that negativity in your life. Only have who you want on your friends list.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 11:47 pm

I only have three people on Facebook who aren't family members.

I wouldn't allow anyone that I "barely know" on my Facebook, or anyone I'd never met.

Definitely block and / or unfriend them.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 6:51 am

TheOneAndOnlyShane wrote:
The "Mute" and "Block" buttons are powerful tools for combating trolls and malcontents that infest every corner of the internet. So is the "log out" button on the website or app interface, and the power button on your device.

What's great about this is that circumventing mutes/blocks through the creation of different accounts is usually a violation of terms of service, either through rules banning sockpuppeting or targeted harassment. Reporting accounts guilty of this will usually result in sanction being taken, sometime up to and including an IP ban.

And of course, going around bans, logouts, and power-offs by pursuing others across multiple sites and even into meatspace can sometime be dealt with through the courts or law enforcement.

Or, if any of these measures are too severe for your taste, just move along.

And if everything fails, just roar in their face.