Toucan

26 May 2009, 8:42 pm

Yeah children voices can be annoying.

www.stewartmango.com

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 10:00 pm

I was lucky to be raised in a vast, overpopulated, noisy city, and to have taken very noisy, overcrowded public transportation every day for years - it largely immunised me against sensory overload. I do not like crowds, noise, etc, but I can endure them. Seriously, if you can endure some of the 'music' I was subjected to during my daily commute, there's probably no noise you can't endure.

As for the options give, babies crying and dogs barking do have the thing that they don't have other ways to communicate. I can accept the noise of children playing in the schoolyard or some other appropriate setting, I find it easy to ignore, and I don't mind children's voices - a brat having a tantrum is another story.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

RoisinDubh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 9:20 am

They all bother me, but noisy children and babies I have NO tolerance for. When I find myself in a place where they're unavoidable, I start to feel a meltdown coming on instantly, and don't know whether to kill them or their control-impaired parents first. :evil:

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:27 am

Yeah those sounds piss me off too.

hiker7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2009, 6:50 pm

Where's the late W.C. Fields when you really need him..

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 1:36 am

I voted screaming kids because it's not really expected of them, i can tolerate screaming babies however. The one sound that really gets to me is the sound of cardboard ripping, it is the most vile disgusting sound producable and hearing it makes me want to bash my brains out against the nearest wall. I also hate the feel of cardboard, it makes my head feel like it's being shocked.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 3:47 am

all of those, plus building work.

My area is yuppie central. They sort of live here in the interim before moving to the country. So maybe two years on average. They pop out screaming kids. This area didn’t used to be like that. The houses aren’t huge but you can develop them to become bigger. The yuppies have also increased crime because they put all their s**t in clear view.

An area walking distance from me is actually dubbed “nappy valley” by the press. Nappy=diaper. Technically you could say I’m in it because I’m between the commons. Although I’m not quite in a valley, not that that is really relevant. Young families would want to live near here because of the doctor’s clinic amoung other things.

Development work is non stop. I really mean that there has not been a break for 2 years where there hasn't been a side return/loft-extension/basement conversion or some major building work being done. Many of these people this is not even their first home and they never even live here.

There was a false association that this was an especially gay area due to a gay MP holding as series of events ages ago. I really hope more gay people/couples move here, to be honest. They make for quiet neighbours on the whole. Ok they develop somewhat too, but few if any have kids.

The kids here have as s**t load of toys too, I have never seen so many in a toy shop. I should take a picture of one garden opposite. More toys take up the garden that anything else, I can't even think what inside looks like. This is just one little girl. She has a little brother but most of it is hers. The toys end up over the wall so often that we no longer return them. I remember a kid’s entertainer having to tell a kid to stop throwing toys over the fence. They know if they will do it they still get more toys.

Another problem is some of these yuppies are also Hurray Henrys, so they can sing drunken Rugby songs loudly and really badly till 4am. Then do a load of coke, and then try to climb over your garden wall and knock it over in the process.

I have some weird ones. I don't like sweeping of brooms, especially hard bristle on a hard surface. Obviously those road sweeper vehicles drive me nuts as does the garbage collection.

PrincessMR1899
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm

My mom and I call it "My curse"....every time we go out to eat, which is mostly every day, (lol), we get sat next to a couple, or a family with babies, or young children, who eventually start screaming, crying, and making a fuss. ALWAYS. Seriously. I just laugh about it now, b/c it always happens to me!!

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:02 pm

All of them make my head explode

steeviebops
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2009, 7:24 pm

I hate all three of them but if I were to pick one it would probably be screaming children with crying babies a close second.

Hey I'm exactly 5 years older than the OP, how about that? :)

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:14 am

All 3. I think it should be illegal to take kids who can't behave properly to certain places (restaurants, movie theaters, etc.) I would worry about tarot cards and such - it's nonsense.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 10:35 am

Kids are cute but... damn. I missed my stop today because I so was distracted by a baby/toddler crying.

IdiousMatt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2009, 11:37 am

Im used to dogs barking because Ive owned a chihuahua since I was 12 (11 years,) and they're the most nervous dog ever.

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm

Well, I have a part-time job at a huge supermarket. On Saturdays there's lots of people, and therefore lots of children. The noise, the screaming, it's horrible. I deal with it by closing myself out, kind of. I start thinking about other things whilst doing my work, which kind of fades out everything that's happening around me. Including the screaming kids :D

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 3:34 pm

Yes, yes I do very much. I hate kids and them screaming only raises my hatred for them. Their high pitched screams pierce my ears like an ice pick and if there is a kid screaming, I make haste and get out of the way. As for dogs, well I don't have to worry because I have a cat instead who never meows.

BDS
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

I can tolerate babies and children sometimes, but dogs are a big annoyance. My family has two dogs that are almost completely untrained. My mom refuses to get them trained because she's lazy and my brothers are obsessed with the dogs and think they're perfect and I'm "the bad guy" because I'm the only one who has a problem with them. My dad also loves the dogs and he doesn't even live with us. The only person besides me who has ever lodged a complaint about the dogs barking and misbehaving is my grandma on my mom's side and my mom just disregarded her complaint.