31 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

if somebody could make alky without the burn, I'd be first in line. :drunken:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 11:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Stick it in the freezer? I once had some cheap rye whiskey that was sitting in the freezer, and it was smooth as hell. I think it was Royal Reserve, which is like a poor man's Crown Royal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 11:30 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Stick it in the freezer? I once had some cheap rye whiskey that was sitting in the freezer, and it was smooth as hell. I think it was Royal Reserve, which is like a poor man's Crown Royal.

I drank some quasi-frozen alky once, and it was "icy hot." my tongue was numb for hours.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 1:52 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I drank some quasi-frozen alky once, and it was "icy hot." my tongue was numb for hours.

I'll admit, I have a penchant for enjoying strong flavors other people can't stand, and this was especially the case when I was younger. I enjoy the taste of Jagermeister, but most people say it's disgusting because it tastes like black liquorice. I used to really like rum as well, but I've had a few too many bad experiences with it and now I can't stand to smell it.

God, I'm starting to sound like an alkie. I'll admit, alcohol used to be a "special interest" of mine, but I can't drink the way I did when I was younger. It's like my tolerance has gone down.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 2:59 pm

Isn't this thread for people who don't like alcohol, and aren't there other threads for people who do to discuss the various kinds and brands and flavours and effects? :?

It kind of weirds me out when the billing department where I work ask me to join them for "drinks" at a pub. They know I'm a teetotaller, and I'm not technically part of the billing department (though I know the insurance and coding intricacies since I studied them at school before getting the healthcare job). I think it might mean they actually like me. I suppose the alternative is that they know I won't drink, and might leave early, so they'll have my weird Aspie-ness to joke about later. I hope that's not it. Sometimes I think I see Aspie traits in the Billing Supervisor herself, and maybe in her second as well.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Isn't this thread for people who don't like alcohol, and aren't there other threads for people who do to discuss the various kinds and brands and flavours and effects? :?

It kind of weirds me out when the billing department where I work ask me to join them for "drinks" at a pub. They know I'm a teetotaller, and I'm not technically part of the billing department (though I know the insurance and coding intricacies since I studied them at school before getting the healthcare job). I think it might mean they actually like me. I suppose the alternative is that they know I won't drink, and might leave early, so they'll have my weird Aspie-ness to joke about later. I hope that's not it. Sometimes I think I see Aspie traits in the Billing Supervisor herself, and maybe in her second as well.

Being invited out for a drink is shorthand for being invited "out". You might choose not to drink but if you're in a venue where the bar is centrestage the phrase is often used. Having said that if they KNOW you dont drink and I mean if they ALL know that you're strictly teetotal their intentions mightnot be good. Its more likely however that theyre extending the hand of friendship

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2014, 5:57 pm

Sting wrote:
I literally hate alcohol

I wasn't aware that it was possible to metaphorically hate something.

You either hate something or you don't. There is no metaphor involved. Hence, there is no need for you to specify that your hatred is literal.

(It annoys me that people keep misusing the word "literally" without appearing to know what it means).

OP: I don't like alcohol either.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 7:28 am

No I actually like beer quite a bit, but good quality beer it tastes delicious...and I like the occasional hard alcohol. I have overdone it with drinking before, which can be embarrassing sucks, but in moderation I do enjoy it at times. I used to drink a lot more though like on a regular basis a few times off and on over the years, now I don't really do that a whole lot...I prefer smoking cannabis to be honest, and it doesn't run the risk of hang overs, liver damage or acting stupid/doing something stupid/and blacking out and not remembering what stupid things you did. There are much better 'substances' than alcohol in my opinion, I do have some regrets with times I have been drinking too much, in attempts to feel better/self medicate or just drinking too much out of being self destructive and not caring, time could have been better spent perhaps, but such is life.

I don't really care if other people like alcohol or not, to each their own....I wouldn't try to convince someone who does not want to drink to do so.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
No I actually like beer quite a bit, but good quality beer it tastes delicious...and I like the occasional hard alcohol. I have overdone it with drinking before, which can be embarrassing sucks, but in moderation I do enjoy it at times. I used to drink a lot more though like on a regular basis a few times off and on over the years, now I don't really do that a whole lot...I prefer smoking cannabis to be honest, and it doesn't run the risk of hang overs, liver damage or acting stupid/doing something stupid/and blacking out and not remembering what stupid things you did. There are much better 'substances' than alcohol in my opinion, I do have some regrets with times I have been drinking too much, in attempts to feel better/self medicate or just drinking too much out of being self destructive and not caring, time could have been better spent perhaps, but such is life.

I don't really care if other people like alcohol or not, to each their own....I wouldn't try to convince someone who does not want to drink to do so.

I feel much the same way, though I've never used cannabis aside from one time where I was contact high from someone who was smoking in the same room as me.

And I definitely agree with your last statement; some people like alcohol, some people don't, and it's stupid to try and pressure someone who doesn't want to drink to do so.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I feel much the same way, though I've never used cannabis aside from one time where I was contact high from someone who was smoking in the same room as me.

And I definitely agree with your last statement; some people like alcohol, some people don't, and it's stupid to try and pressure someone who doesn't want to drink to do so.

One thing I hate is how the media acts like all drinkers are fun and energetic and that non drinkers are boring, dull and lifeless. Sadly, most people buy into that. I have seen it as more or less, a form of advertising for alcohol. Its image is protected.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 6:12 pm

the only alcohol i can stand to drink straight is rompope, because it has little alcohol volume (10%) and its flavor is hidden behind all the dream.
all others i despise.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 7:47 pm

I've never had an alcoholic beverage in my life because I'm in a medication regimen that prevents me for drinking one. The one thing I don't understand about alcohol is that people get drunk with it just for fun. People tend to say and do terrible, stupid things when they're drunk, but not when they're sober.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm

tcorrielus wrote:
I've never had an alcoholic beverage in my life because I'm in a medication regimen that prevents me for drinking one. The one thing I don't understand about alcohol is that people get drunk with it just for fun. People tend to say and do terrible, stupid things when they're drunk, but not when they're sober.

Being drunk *can* be fun, but it's a novelty that kind of wears off after a while. Also, people tend to use drunkenness as an excuse for antisocial behaviour, and since it lowers a person's inhibitions, I believe you can see what a person is really like on the inside when they are drunk. As it turns out, a lot of people are truly selfish and irresponsible on the inside. C'est la vie.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:12 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I don't know what happened, I used to be able to handle alcohol fine, but as I got older, my hangovers got worse, and alcohol just ended up making me feel shittier and shittier. I like the taste of it, but nowadays I feel "off" after only one beer or cooler or whatever, and if I go into binge drinking territory (which for me is three drinks or more), I get drunk but I don't enjoy it. It could just be my body's way of telling me "dude, lay off the sauce!"

Did you go for a while without drinking at all? I know that I have to get into drinking "shape" in order to enjoy it, which in my case means having a cocktail or two a day fairly consistently, or else my body basically goes into hangover mode after a single drink and makes me miserable within an hour or two of having the drink. I also handle hard liquor a lot better than I do beer and wine, my personal theory being that spirits become more refined during distillation, where as beer and wine retain more of the impure forms of alcohol that I'm apparently sensitive to, which sounds weird considering my fairly high tolerance for mixed drinks. Even more strangely, since I started drinking regularly again this summer after teaching myself classical faux Polynesian mixology, my migraine headaches have become far less frequent, which I'm putting down to the high levels of fresh lime juice I'm drinking along with all that rum.

- Rick Sanchez

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:29 pm

The biggest reason they should legalize Pot, is so people can have other legal options.

As for me I do drink now and then, but I found that just having "1" beer and a couple tokes off the pipe and I have a fairly nice buzz without over doing either drug. in either case if I ever drink anything, no matter how little, I do it at home when I plan on going no-where. although I have had gotten a nice pot buzz and went places, but never out right stoned stoned. mostly because having to socialize sets off my anxieties really bad and its easier for me to deal with others when I take the edge off. and no I do not make a habit of catching a pot buzz then driving, I try and stay home for that too.

Just to note, I seen people whom only have a couple tokes, or just one beer, act like it hits them as if they drank 3-4 beers or smoked an whole bowl of weed in just one toke. everyone is made different and there are a lot of lightweights out there.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm

tcorrielus wrote:

It always brings out a worse side in them. They get angry, emotional, stupid, or all of the above.