Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 1:14 am

My 17 year old daughter has told me this several times. Primarily, when the family is at social gatherings. She will say, “Daddy, say something. Don’t just sit there. Try to be more social-able”. Yes, she is aware I was diagnosed with Asperger’s.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 5:22 pm

Yes. Once I was telling my younger sister and interesting fact, and my dad said for me to be quiet. :roll:

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 7:11 pm

All the time. Then I try to talk more, and they tell me to be quieter.

cheryll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2015, 4:18 am

I used to get it a lot when I was a kid and teenager to which I usually wouldn't respond at all - not even a smile, nothing. I mean, what are you supposed to say when someone tells you you're too quiet? But if someone asked me why I didn't talk, I'd say something along the lines of 'because I've got nothing to say' because that was the truth. I seriously didn't have anything at all to add to the conversation. Nowadays, I don't really get people saying it. Maybe it's because I'm a full-time housewife and home educator so I can be a hermit and don't see many people.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 4:51 am

On many occasions I have been told to "speak up" or engage more with those around me, but when I do they interpret me as brusque, blunt and insensitive.

I can't win.

Crazyshy42

24 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm

Oh yeah, all the time. In fact oftentimes I'm completely silent out in the real world unless someone approaches me first or if I'm required to speak to get something I need, but if it's a yes or no question that was asked of me I prefer to nod my head instead of say yes or no.