Does anybody else here despise alcohol?

Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 5:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...I prefer smoking cannabis to be honest, and it doesn't run the risk of hang overs, liver damage or acting stupid/doing something stupid/and blacking out and not remembering what stupid things you did. ...

I beg to differ, I've seen plenty of people do/say plenty stupid things with no other excuse than a few tokes from the bong.

8)

Also what Sting said. Whatever bad things there are inside a person that they suppress when they're sober/straight, those inhibitions come out when they're drunk/high/stoned. It's not safe. I'm not 100% pure sweetness and light deep inside, and I don't want those things coming out and hurting people because I'm under the influence of some crazy "recreational" substance.
8O
I'm bad enough just from asthma meds + coffee!
:oops:

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm

I can't swallow the stuff, I despise the taste of alcohol going down my throat. The fact that my sister is an alcoholic doesn't make things any better either.

IncredibleFrog
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2014, 11:48 pm

I love alcohol used in cooking (beer cheese, beer bread, wine sauce, etc.), but I don't drink. I often feel annoyed with people who do the whole "social drinking" thing. I don't think it's bad generally speaking, to have a little alcohol, but some people don't want to do anything BUT drink when they are with their friends. If you can only enjoy each other's company when one or more of you are intoxicated, maybe you need new friends?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 2:37 am

I had a beer earlier on at my grandparents place, a Rickards Red, and strangely enough I felt pleasant afterwards. This is in stark contrast to the last few times I drank, where I had crap like Smirnoff Ice or Coors Light and felt sh***y afterwards. Maybe I need to stick with quality alcohol. :P

Differentialform
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2014, 4:25 am

I don't drink alcohol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
...I prefer smoking cannabis to be honest, and it doesn't run the risk of hang overs, liver damage or acting stupid/doing something stupid/and blacking out and not remembering what stupid things you did. ...

I beg to differ, I've seen plenty of people do/say plenty stupid things with no other excuse than a few tokes from the bong.

8)

Also what Sting said. Whatever bad things there are inside a person that they suppress when they're sober/straight, those inhibitions come out when they're drunk/high/stoned. It's not safe. I'm not 100% pure sweetness and light deep inside, and I don't want those things coming out and hurting people because I'm under the influence of some crazy "recreational" substance.
8O
I'm bad enough just from asthma meds + coffee!

So when not under the influence of cannabis, they did not do/say stupid things? I mean most people I have seen acting legitimately stupid after a couple tokes already act stupid without the cannabis. It can have different effects on different people....so I can't say what you describe does not exist just have not seen anyone who does not already act stupid act that way after smoking(unless people think giggling or being a bit forgetful while stoned is the equivalent of stupid). But either way I guess I more meant how it effects me, I've never really had cannabis contribute to me saying stuff I regret or doing something stupid...whereas I have had a few instances of alcohol doing that.

Also people do not always suppress all their bad traits, intentions or what not while sober.....I am pretty sure not all murders involve the murderer being under the influence of a substance for instance. Suppose if someone is supressing something it will come out somehow regardless of drugs/alcohol....the inhibition lowering effect some drugs have on some people though might make it harder for them to keep it 'hidden'. I personally do my best not to drink when upset or angry as that never turns out well, most of the times I have had a bad experience involving alcohol where a direct result of drinking because I was upset/angry though couple times it was more me getting tipsy and situation becoming unfit for that....however with cannabis I can be upset, angry or even considering suicide and smoking it helps me feel better, and think more clearly without a bunch of racing anxious/depressive sorts of thoughts.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 11:52 am

Also though, it was mentioned in the thread something about how we owe our survival to alcohol.....that is quite an over-exaggeration. However there have been times in history where water in a given area was bad, like would make people sick from drinking it. So by turning that water into 'beer' they where able to purify it enough to be drank.....this beer though had a minimal alcohol content though. But yeah there was a documentary that mentioned this and also had people test the theory by taking some nasty swamp water, making beer out of it and testing to find it was safe to drink after that process whereas not so safe before.

So, yes in that context it may have saved some people from dying of dehydration....or maybe even an illness/digestive problems from the bad water.

TwistedAngel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2014, 10:24 am

Yes. So much that i skipped my lesson on alcoholic fermentation and failed the test on purpose just to make it clear on my opinion.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2014, 5:10 pm

TwistedAngel wrote:
Yes. So much that i skipped my lesson on alcoholic fermentation and failed the test on purpose just to make it clear on my opinion.

I took a Biology exam that had a section on that. I insulted alcohol in the essay part of that question, much to the chagrin of my wine loving teacher.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 5:47 pm

YES!! ! I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Though I don't want to say I 'despise' alcohol, I have absolutely NO desire to even touch an alcoholic beverage. I have seen people my age range talk about wanting to get drunk or wasted and I guess with me having AS I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around the desire of that, and I have seen too many horror stories of college students like me that had one too many drinks. Also, the fact that members of my family in the past liked their alcohol, and I believe that there is some gene or trait that makes it so we get addicted to something rather quickly that runs in my family and it is not a chance I'm willing to take. Overall I've made the choice that I don't want to drink alcohol, just like I made the choice years ago to not use cuss words in my language vocabulary, in public, at home, or with friends. (which that baffles most people :) )

Just this past Sunday I was at a going away to college party at my neighbors since two neighborhood guys were going away, I will be going away, and my brother will be attending the Community College I just graduated from. One of the adults at the house it was located poured us all some glasses of beer since it would probably be the last time we'd all be together at once. He got a glass for me and I just left it on the table. I figure someone else or a non AS person would think I'm crazy to turn down an opportunity like that. My younger brother wound up drinking mine. :roll:

Fibbox
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2014, 9:50 am

I think i'm gonna stay away from alcohol for a very long time because of seeing my brother drunk and accidentally tasting a beer when i was home alone and took a beer instead of a soda.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:21 am

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

8)

So when not under the influence of cannabis, they did not do/say stupid things? I mean most people I have seen acting legitimately stupid after a couple tokes already act stupid without the cannabis. It can have different effects on different people....so I can't say what you describe does not exist just have not seen anyone who does not already act stupid act that way after smoking(unless people think giggling or being a bit forgetful while stoned is the equivalent of stupid). But either way I guess I more meant how it effects me, I've never really had cannabis contribute to me saying stuff I regret or doing something stupid...whereas I have had a few instances of alcohol doing that.

Well, as you're mostly talking about how it affects you, that's anecdotal. My evidence is also anecdotal; some of the people I've seen, I don't know how they act when they aren't stoned as I've never seen them not-stoned.

Then there's my son, who tokes up and then comes off all philosophical and thinking he's wise and brilliant and has all the answers to the universe--but has no idea how ridiculously gullible and silly he seems from the standpoint of people 2-3 times his age who have been around the block ten times as many times. The more he smokes, the stupider he gets, imo. :(

Quote:
Also people do not always suppress all their bad traits, intentions or what not while sober.....I am pretty sure not all murders involve the murderer being under the influence of a substance for instance. Suppose if someone is supressing something it will come out somehow regardless of drugs/alcohol....the inhibition lowering effect some drugs have on some people though might make it harder for them to keep it 'hidden'. I personally do my best not to drink when upset or angry as that never turns out well, most of the times I have had a bad experience involving alcohol where a direct result of drinking because I was upset/angry though couple times it was more me getting tipsy and situation becoming unfit for that....however with cannabis I can be upset, angry or even considering suicide and smoking it helps me feel better, and think more clearly without a bunch of racing anxious/depressive sorts of thoughts.

Well no, obviously you don't have to be drunk or stoned or high to commit a crime. But if you read about a heinous thing (e.g. child molestation) that someone did and her/his excuse was that s/he was drunk, you know it wasn't just the alcohol. The inclination to do that was in there all along. All the alcohol did was break down the inhibitions that kept her/him from doing it sober. :evil:

I just know that substances I put in my body often affect me in unusual ways, or more strongly than the experts (i.e. doctors and pharmacists) predict. I read where It's common for Aspie women to have this trait--that we are strongly influenced by thing s we ingest/inhale and often have strange side effects from medicines/drugs. I don't want to risk it. To me it's just another reason to not to (as Tow Mater would say).

Quote:

I did something similar with my written driving exam. I never intended to drink at all, much less drink and drive, so I ignored the section in the manual about legal blood alcohol limits and such. Those were the only questions on the exam that I missed, and there were 3-4 of them. Enough that I barely passed!

AspergersActor8693--I admire your decision not to cuss in any of your conversation. Do you manage to actually do that? I've been trying to break the habit and clean up my foul mouth for 35 years. :(

Fibbox, your experience sounds similar to mine. I thought it was lemonade. :P

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

^I seem sensative to all the bad side effects of anti-depressants, anti-histamines, seroquel, zyprexa then some just don't do anything like something they gave me to try and help me sleep better. However cannabis does not have any weird side effects to me.

Not sure why it would be stupid to talk about philosophical things, though thinking one knows all the answers of the universe is quite arrogant so I'd find that obnoxious. But sometimes it is intresting to discuss things you don't really think much about during a typical day while stoned, but I don't really see that as stupid. I mean what is more harmful sitting in a circle talking about nonsense even, or getting belligerently drunk and causing trouble?

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 7:43 pm

It isn't that waxing philosophical is stupid; it's that what he is saying, which he thinks is so brilliant, is actually sophomoric. It only reveals his gullibility, lack of life experience and that he's completely lost and without any anchor of truth.

I don't spend a lot of time around drunk or stoned or high people; I find it altogether distasteful. I am an incurable unapologetic square.

One example of drugs doing the opposite of what they're supposed to is that corticosteroids take away my appetite. They're supposed to make you hungrier all the time; they make me forget about eating.

Sting
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2014, 3:51 pm