Melbourne, Australia: Monthly Meet-ups (18+)

Page 7 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
What do you mean by bring munchies? Is that snacks, or a late lunch? Do we eat first? More info needed for aspie audience! :lol:

Lunch and snacks! As much food as you can carry!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

No worries. But you'd better come to the right gate this time Lachlan or I'll die of starvation, hehehe.

I think I can get chair, maybe two. Is it a dry park or can I bring a bottle of bubbly (as in, just a small NY celebratory cup for everyone)?

P.S. Do you guys like boardgames?

LachlanW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
No worries. But you'd better come to the right gate this time Lachlan or I'll die of starvation, hehehe.

I think I can get chair, maybe two. Is it a dry park or can I bring a bottle of bubbly (as in, just a small NY celebratory cup for everyone)?

P.S. Do you guys like boardgames?

I've been to Carlton Gardens before, I can find landmarks. We can agree on a more specific meet up point this time :P

I don't know if you can drink in public there. If you really want to be safe I suppose the local council might be able to tell you. Or else put the bubbly in a brown paper bag and bring some opaque cups... actually a brown paper bag might be kind of suspicious.

I love boardgames :D

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2012, 10:18 pm

I've drank in the park numerous times and never had a problem, so I think drinks will be fine.

Board games could be good. Does anyone have Scrabble? Or Cluedo?

LachlanW

21 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm

I have Cluedo. I also have a game called Taboo which is great fun with 4 or more people ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_%28game%29 ).

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 11:19 pm

Yeah Taboo! It's a game I've never played but wanted to. I have Scrabble, though I play that on my phone a lot these days. I also have Scattergories. I have Cluedo as well but that's covered. Haven't played that since I was a kid!

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 8:54 am

I'm up for a picnic and board games. Don't really know what kind of food I should bring, though. Not sure I've ever been to a picnic, actually :? though of course I have a general idea of what it involves. And yes, we should definitely agree on a specific location. :)

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

FMX wrote:
I'm up for a picnic and board games. Don't really know what kind of food I should bring, though. Not sure I've ever been to a picnic, actually :? though of course I have a general idea of what it involves. And yes, we should definitely agree on a specific location. :)

Finger food is best. If you're a whiz in the kitchen, maybe muffins or a slice, or just something simple like a punnet of strawberries or blueberries, chips and dip, olives, cheese, etc. So long as it doesn't require too many utensils or much preparation to eat, it should be fine!

LachlanW

23 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

I can bring some cold meats, dip and raw celery/carrot sticks. It would be nice if we could bring 2 or 3 blankets for people to sit on and to keep the food/belongings off the grass.

By the way, for those who want to come to the ASSN barbeque on the 30th, just send me a PM and I'll give you the details. They are welcoming of new-comers.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

So should we try to pick a more precise meeting point and time? Should we meet in front of the exhibition building and then pick a picnic spot, or pick the picnic spot beforehand and let people arrive in their own time?

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

I don't know the park very well, so I'd suggest picking an easy spot for everyone to find and we can move on from there (somewhere shady!).

We were going with 1pm yeah?

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm

1pm it is! For an easy place to meet up, how about the big tree right by the number 12 tram stop (on the corner of Gertrude and Nicholson streets, and in view of the entrance to the exhibition building). It's easily accessible for those taking public transport.

I made a map and took a screenshot of the street view for those unfamiliar with the area:
https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=208721830579103940371.0004d2455a4d749a3dc1c&msa=0&ll=-37.805355,144.973494&spn=0.001172,0.002642

We'll probably want to move onto a quieter location once everyone has gathered, though. I don't know if anybody has each other's numbers, but it might be handy for some of us to swap contact details just in case people can't get there on time.

LachlanW

01 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm

The location and time works for me. Good idea about the tree. We wouldn't want a repeat of what happened at the zoo, how was I supposed to know the zoo had more than one gate! :P

Just as a reminder: picnic blankets, finger food, drinks and board games would be welcome! I'm bringing taboo and cluedo.

I'll PM my mobile number to those who've said they're coming. It will be a pleasant 28 degrees on Saturday. See you then! :D

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 12:19 am

Sounds good, see you guys then. The Street View screenshot is a good idea, thanks, ruckus.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 5:17 am

I'll come along and bring a rug and some refreshments.
Looking forward to meeting a few other members.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
I'll come along and bring a rug and some refreshments.
Looking forward to meeting a few other members.

The more the merrier!