Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:30 pm

I've been to a handful of summer camps (including a day camp for disabled kids) over the years and they're quite an enjoyable experience. My favorite camp activities are swimming, nature walks, and arts and crafts.

P.S., I'm still going to that same day camp for disabled kids I've been two years ago.

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2009, 5:42 pm

I did last year, I am going back this year. But it is a religious camp but funny thing is that we had very little religious things.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:03 pm

I went to a lot of summer camps when I was younger. I looked forward to it all year. I Used to get in trouble a lot at them, though by my high school years I was able to control myself better. I loved night games like capture the flag.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 9:09 pm

I did when I was a young kid for a few years. However, it was a camp for children with disabilities or life difficulties so I somehow meet the criteria. I didn't really know that at the time but I don't care now. It was rather fun and I actually had an easier time socializing back then, then I do now.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:09 am

Bible camp when I was a preteen

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 10:21 am

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with the idea of summer camp. I went through a phase where all fiction I read had to be about kids going off to summer camp.
i also liked the idea of boarding schools...any thing where the concept was presented of going away from one's family and day to day surroundings for a while and winding up around new people and the potential of possibly getting to be a different person..blah blah blah...
Anyway, I first went to camp with my school when I was in 5th grade...it was pretty enlightening....There was a lot of stuff about eco-sustainability and it really opened up my mind a bit..I first learned that there were people who were vegetarians..I got along with kids because we went to a rock quarry and I knew a whole lot about rocks in those days and kids kept coming up to me with their rocks asking what they were and I was somehow able to tell them...I don't remember anything particularly negative about the experience.
The next year, I was involved in a summer program and we got to go to camp for a week...that was fun too..except I got headlice...Neither of these experiences were anything like the books I read.

Going camping with the girl scouts was usually not fun because I was a laughing stock...and my "buddy"..the only girl who would really even speak to me in the first place... dumped me..but that was not the same as camp....

anyway...

blah blah blah....

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 9:46 pm

I went to a summer day camp with my cousins for a few summers and then a sleepaway camp for supposed smart kids the summer after 5th grade (I still think that my high scores on the entrance test was a mistake or something.) The day camp was pretty fun, partly because my cousins were there with me, but the other camp was a nightmare. I didn't really have friends, most of the girls except two of them seemed to hate me, and fell behind in my math class. I felt really dumb and lonely during my stay there. The funny thing is my best friend went there the following summer and loved it.

In high school, I had a friend who went to acting camp one summer and I remember thinking, that sounds really fun and I wanted to ask my parents if I could do that. Later on, after hearing from her how mean and competitive the girls were, I changed my mind. But looking back on it now, I wish I had gone to musical theatre camp. To me it sounded like some kind of a dream =P

Solei
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jul 2009, 12:52 pm

Well, I went to one in middle school and high school, but the camp always lasted for about 4 days. It was a music camp, and we did all sorts of fun music stuff, but we also did other fun stuff, like scavenger hunts, skits, capture the flag, etc etc. There were also plenty of places to explore, though we had to be careful of random dangers, but they usually warned us about those ahead of time. Those were really fun, even if I didn't really socialize with anyone.