Can you be Asperger's and still be "cool"?

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 12:10 pm

Discuss.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 12:18 pm

I think that you can be both AS and cool. I'm an aspie and the majority of the people that I know think that it's cool that I like the 60s.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 12:25 pm

Depends on what your interests are and exactly what symptoms you have, and most of all it depends on the social group you want to appear "cool" to.

Last edited by Asp-Z on 18 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2010, 12:51 pm

I go to any skating rink in the country, wear the right clothes, do some tricks which usually gets me noticed as the best skater there, then everyone thinks i'm cool. They smile at me, clap, nod in my direction, tell me my tricks are cool etc, then the DJ mentions me and more people start watching...

Some of them find me too cool to approach and just watch me.

Some of them come up to me and want to chat but the music is so loud they just shout something at me and i smile or give them a thumbs up and it's all good.

Some of them come up to me when it's quieter, or in the toilets or cafe, or after the session and want to chat, which is when i say something stupid then run away, which kinda ruins things.

And of course when i tell anyone about this, they go "omg you nerd, you skate? lol that's so 80's, do you go round and round on your little roller skates all night?"

But on the whole, i feel cool 8)

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:12 pm

Cool is overrated. Get over it.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2010, 1:13 pm

My mom says I'm cool.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Can you be Asperger's and still be cool?

Yes.

18 Jan 2010, 1:33 pm

I think I'm cool because I have so many video games. My niece and nephew think I'm a cool aunt. 8)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:33 pm

I don't see why Newton's Law of Cooling wouldn't apply to those on the spectrum as well as those off.

Now, if you're talking about social acceptance... sure. It has more to do with one's comfort with their own differences than anything else, in my opinion. When I could accept and enjoy myself for being me, others started doing the same. I didn't make any wholesale changes or alterations to my behaviors or anything of the sort... I merely worked to quit seeing them as a disadvantage. Remember, being predictable has advantages in many arenas, but it also can work against you when another person chooses to use that against you. Whatever route you take to acceptance, I think that's the biggest barrier to this concept of 'cool'... being overly self aware.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 1:50 pm

Absolutely. Study a person you consider "cool" (as this can vary subjectively; for me it was leather jacket, white T-shirt, and motorcycle). Script their behaviors, stance, mannerisms, hair/clothing styles, etc. Just memorize it all using the patented AS "rote memory" feature. Record ON!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 2:08 pm

People have thought I was "cool" for different reasons at different times...It is usually people who don't know me very well..I do play in bands and run a venue....sometimes people think there is something cool about that.

But you can seem cool to some of the people some of the time, but you can't seem "cool" to all of the people all of the time...since (as I understand it)..."coolness" is a matter of other people's perception of you.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2010, 3:31 pm

It depends really. What is seen to be cool by some people may be percieved as weird by others.

I have AS and I like to draw boldly coloured pictures of birds, which is considered to be cool.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 3:33 pm

People think my sock monkeys are "cool" too...

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 3:43 pm

There's absolutely no reason you cannot be cool when you have Asperger's.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

Jingo8 wrote:
I go to any skating rink in the country, wear the right clothes, do some tricks which usually gets me noticed as the best skater there, then everyone thinks i'm cool. They smile at me, clap, nod in my direction, tell me my tricks are cool etc, then the DJ mentions me and more people start watching...

Some of them come up to me and want to chat but the music is so loud they just shout something at me and i smile or give them a thumbs up and it's all good.

Some of them come up to me when it's quieter, or in the toilets or cafe, or after the session and want to chat, which is when i say something stupid then run away, which kinda ruins things.

And of course when i tell anyone about this, they go "omg you nerd, you skate? lol that's so 80's, do you go round and round on your little roller skates all night?"

forgive me but someone who can skate does not have AS, are you kidding me?

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 4:11 pm

caramateo wrote:
Jingo8 wrote:

forgive me but someone who can skate does not have AS, are you kidding me?

are you serious with that comment? Are you a doctor? Poor motor skills and coordination are traits of AS but not necessary for a diagnosis. Do yourself a favor and research the thing you are claiming to know so much about...especially if you plan to accuse others. Honestly I am so sick of people undiagnosing others on this site.