Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 11:58 pm

I've had problems w/ people complimenting me my entire life. I've been getting comments that I am adorable/ really cute A LOT my entire life from most people I know (friends of both genders & family), occasionally pretty/beautiful (from female friends & relatives) & on very rare occasions...sexy :?. What the heck, I'm freak'in weird, don't like either gender, have an undefinable age (usually mistaken for 14 or 15-17, but a girl I know thinks I'm at least 19 (I will be in a few weeks) b/c I'm taller than her & supposedly don't act like most stupid college freshman (reasoning :? :?)). But the thing is I cannot figure out why I get these comments about the way I look (not to mention my clothes... :? :? :?)? (really think that, being...(insert appropriate curse here), or just being overly nice morons :?). Reason I probably sound like (I don't know what) is b/c for some reason ever since I was little I have wanted to hurt anyone who compliments me (like hit them & crap to get them to shut up & never say it again). Wondering what the heck is going on w/ them & why the heck have I always felt this way?

p.s. Only thing I've noticed is these comments get me attention (which I HATE :x :x :x) & keep thinking pissing them off by coming off as a (insert curse here) they'll leave me alone. I'd rather be hated than risk the chaos that comes w/ me getting fairly close to people...

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:02 am

Would a pic help w/ this b/c I have NO IDEA what people I know are seeing?! :cry: (This is getting ridiculously frustrating)...

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:10 am

It's not wrong.
I've always hated getting compliments because there's too much emotion that they carry. It's overwhelming. People complimenting me puts me into a bad situation because I don't know how to respond appropriately. The only way I've learned to respond is by saying "thank you". I can feel that people can put a lot of emotional effort into their compliments, and I feel like I need to pay them back, but I'm not capable of expressing my emotions in the same way, so all it does is making me feel extremely uncomfortable! I guess, the best way to get rid of this discomfort is to know how to respond to them in a generic way but in a way that would make the other person feel like their effort was not wasted.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

22 Nov 2009, 12:30 am

I just say "Thanks."

That's all you need to say.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 8:32 am

Thanks is best but it doesn't always work. Once a guy in a bar told me I was really beautiful (long ago :wink: ). I said thanks. He said, no I mean it you are really beautiful. I said thanks again. This went on for several exchanges and then he got this really mean expression on his face and said No, you are ugly as sh!t. I said OK. I think he was expecting something in return. :roll:

TB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 8:44 am

the only people i can take compliments from without getting annoyed or frustrated are the ones i really like and trust.
how well do you know these people when you dont like getting compliments ?, or it might have something to do with the way you see yourself, if you dont think you deserve these compliments the people giving them might seem insincere to you.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 10:17 am

Aimless wrote:
Thanks is best but it doesn't always work. Once a guy in a bar told me I was really beautiful (long ago :wink: ). I said thanks. He said, no I mean it you are really beautiful. I said thanks again. This went on for several exchanges and then he got this really mean expression on his face and said No, you are ugly as sh!t. I said OK. I think he was expecting something in return. :roll:

hah.

To the OP, you do just gotta start to live with it. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable as well, i hate it. Partially relating to Aimless because I can never figure out if someone is just being friendly or being flirty (like just a few days ago I was getting my hair cut, and she says to me "wow, you've got really pretty curls", just horribly awkward, guys shouldnt have pretty curls =P that's why i was getting my hair cut, cause it got long enough that it started to curl).

But, you just gotta turn away and say thanks. (being sure to absolutely avoid eye contact to ensure you are not playing along if it is flirting =P).

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 11:59 am

When I get a compliment that just doesn't seem true, I get thoughts like "They want something from me." or "They somehow pity me for some reason. (followed by negative thoughts about why they're the loser and not me)" or "Was that sarcasm? Was it!? Are they making fun of me!? What makes that ret*d think they're so great!?".

Giselle62
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2009, 1:18 pm

I usually compliment something unusual back about them but it has to be genuinely something I like. I can't lie, of course. Usually someone has something attractive about them or is wearing something bright. "Thank you" if I don't see anything right away to compliment.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 3:44 pm

TB wrote:
the only people i can take compliments from without getting annoyed or frustrated are the ones i really like and trust.
how well do you know these people when you dont like getting compliments ?, or it might have something to do with the way you see yourself, if you dont think you deserve these compliments the people giving them might seem insincere to you.

Recently its been people I just met this semester. But I usually get this stuff from family too (who I cannot relate 2 whatsoever) :roll:. I will admit I don't like the way I look, but I've been hoping that b/c I perceive myself as ugly, it would rub that idea/perception of ugliness off onto others... adorable, cute & comments about my "nice/pretty" hair & clothes are NOT what I am going for...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 4:34 pm

Do you look like this, by any chance?

http://www.babyanimalz.com/images/cat_cute_39.jpg

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 5:44 pm

elderwanda wrote:

No, I definitely do not look like that kitten :lol: . But awww
Best way I'd describe myself is plain, thin body & small oval face w/ long dirty blonde hair & hazel eyes (nothing special, but not ugly enough that I'd get comments/taunts about it). So I can't tell if its my mannerisms & looks or just mannerisms that keep guys from being interested in me? (Which is a good thing by the way...)

Teung
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2009, 2:49 pm

Peko wrote:
elderwanda wrote:

No, I definitely do not look like that kitten :lol: . But awww
Best way I'd describe myself is plain, thin body & small oval face w/ long dirty blonde hair & hazel eyes (nothing special, but not ugly enough that I'd get comments/taunts about it). So I can't tell if its my mannerisms & looks or just mannerisms that keep guys from being interested in me? (Which is a good thing by the way...)

Guys find shy girls cute, so I guess that's why they might be calling you that.

ElysianDream
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2009, 6:28 am

Can we see a pic?

Lepus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2009, 8:41 am

I used to hate getting compliments about how I looked or dressed. I didn't know how to react and that was what really made me uneasy about it. So I solved the problem the same way I solve most problems like that in my life. I read a book that included the subject and developed a strategy.

My strategy was to learn a standard reply (I like standard replies - they stop me getting tongue-tied and looking like an idiot) which was to say "thank you" and smile.

It didn't change the comments I got, but it helped me deal with them better and stopped me feeling unhappy about getting them.

I also learned from the book that people make compliments as a nice thing to say, especially to someone they don't know well and that they may seem superficial. People who know you better are more likely to give compliments in better ways that aren't so superficial, i.e. ones based on you and not how you appear.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 10:40 am

protest_the_hero wrote:
When I get a compliment that just doesn't seem true, I get thoughts like "They want something from me." or "They somehow pity me for some reason. (followed by negative thoughts about why they're the loser and not me)" or "Was that sarcasm? Was it!? Are they making fun of me!? What makes that ret*d think they're so great!?".

You pretty much described all of my thoughts. Also, I hate being the center (or anywhere near the center) of attention so being noticed makes me very uncomfortable.

I do usually just say some version of "thanks" or "thank you, that's very nice." Like another poster said, that doesn't always work, though I've never had an experience such as hers. Mine has been where I realize that my response to the compliment was an invitation for the guy to flirt further....but they've never been mean.