Do you have a code you live your life by?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm

I've always had a code I live by, even before I was a fan of the show Dexter. :lol: There are certain rules that help keep me sane. Here are some of them. Maybe you lot have something similar.
In no particular order:

Spend the most time with yourself. Knowledge of self is the most important thing to me. Once you master yourself, you can master anything and anyone. I'm trying to master the moonwalk, and I used to have a dance phobia. Stare into space for a few hours each day, it's good for you.

Don't get emotionally invested. If I get emotionally invested in something, it's hard to let go of it when it is not there anymore. I try not to get emotionally attached to people or to objects, in case I lose them. Besides, emotions cloud my judgement, and my judgement is pretty good.

Look out for sociopaths. I know how to spot people like this, and nothing good can come of being with them. Since I have Aspergers, I'm a magnet for people like this. I've met 6 that I can count, and I'm not sure about number 7. I haven't been keeping track for very long either.

Be as absolutely sure as I can. Not just with sociopaths, but with everything. All happiness is based on certainty.

After 10 is my fun time. No matter what, after 10 P.M. is my time to have fun. If I have work to do, too bad, I blew it. Very rarely do I break this rule. Being at a place of employment obviously does not apply.

These are some of them. Anyone have some input?

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2010, 1:38 pm

I'm not entirely sure but I think I'd say I sort of do.

For instance I don't have a code or structure that I feel I have to follow in the sense of doing something like not working after 10pm.

However, I do have a "moral code" that I make myself live by no matter what!! I feel its absolutely imperative I follow it as I struggle to get emotianally attached with anybody/thing in an single way. If I didn't create and follow it, then I'd dread to think what I may do.

Also I can certainly relate to being by myself and learning more about me. I always try to do this at any time practically possible, but I've never thought of it as a code, but i guess it could be.

So yes I would say I have a "code" of how i live my life to an extent, either consciously or subconsciously, but it might be a little different to what you're talking about :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 1:59 pm

I use the code:

4...8...15...16...23...42...EXECUTE

It keeps the world from blowing up.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:11 pm

Willard wrote:
I use the code:

4...8...15...16...23...42...EXECUTE

It keeps the world from blowing up.

and I hope we are all appropriately grateful. . . :roll: :D

Merle

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:24 am

I don't really have one.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MJackson
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2010, 1:31 am

Treat people how you wanna be treated when you first meet them, then treat them how they treat you

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2010, 5:54 am

Here's one that works for me:

Never take advice from anyone who isn't happy or successful in the area of experience where they are trying to advise you.

INTJ.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 8:01 am

My way or the highway. :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 4:39 pm

never have anyone as a priority in your life when you are only an option in theirs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm

I'm not like everybody else, is my code. 8)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm

Wheaton's Rule: Don't be a dick.

There are precisely four people in this universe whose opinions matter to me, and whose good favor I curry - myself, my wife, and our two children. Everybody else can feel what they want about whatever - it's nothing to do with me.

Try to have fun, whatever else happens. When things happen to you, you can be miserable, or you can look for some part of it that is at least amusing. It doesn't matter which approach you take, the things will happen anyway, so you might as well choose the option that leaves you with anyway some kind of upside.

Netish
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2010, 11:04 am

First and foremost I live by the Ten Commandments and the Bible. Second, I live by my own sort of moral, social, financial, etc code. Once I tried to write out my own very long and detailed code, but it was so long, and there didn't seem to be much use for it other than self exploration so I stopped.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 1:46 pm

MJackson wrote:
Treat people how you wanna be treated when you first meet them, then treat them how they treat you

Mine is similar. "Treat people as you want to be treated, but always try to be better to others than they tend to treat you."

I also go by, "Be quick to forgive. Be slow to forget."

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 6:15 pm

Yes, the code I live by is TRUST NO ONE. The only person I can count on is myself.

Redfox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2010, 6:17 pm

I have a few, but this is my favorite.

"My whole religion is this: do every duty, and expect no reward for it, either here or hereafter." -Bertrand Russell

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2010, 5:58 am

1. "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

2. "We all have one life, and we should all we can to make it the best, but many have failed to realize this does not mean making others' lives worse.

3. "All grownups were once children - although few of them remember it."

and

4. "It is better for you to figure something out than for someone to tell you how something works."

Basically, I try, I try to be nice, I try to keep the child in me alive, and I try to figure things out for myself. Which actually is why I like Myst.