Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

changing89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2010, 3:37 am

Hey,

For the first time in my life since i turned 21 this past monday i went to a night club tonite and at first i was awkward but at first i felt like.... really in the zone with bustin out the dance moves. LIke i felt totally connected with the lights and felt connected with some higher power while totally letting loose.

Also I noticed another thing, when I was watching stand up comedy tonite, i was distracted by many things and it was harder for me to laugh. This has happened before. I put on a fake laugh and feel like irritated i guess and i get tired socially quickly. It was a big step forward tonite

Do you all have issues with dancing and like to dance? And or like stand up comedy?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Apr 2010, 7:51 am

I like comedy...and I cant dance. Sometimes I dance anyway.
Good for you on the dancefloor. Sounds like you had a good time reaching 7th heaven through a strobe light.

I could never do that...the lights are too overwhelming to me...plus I have seziures and that does not mix well with strobes.

Jojo

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 8:13 am

I actually cope well being in the spot light, if I know my stuff and what I'm supposed to do i.e. I can give an impromptu speech if it's what I'm interested in, but I hate reading off slides/notes and feel I am letting the whole group down if it is a group presentation. I find standing up and being able to walk around helps; sitting makes you more vulnerable. Maybe that's what happened to you on the dancefloor/comedy club- you were able to move in the first, but had to sit stiill in the club.

I stood in for a modelling shoot a while ago and it felt surprisingly natural to have a multitude of cameras pointed at me and flashing away. I usually hate having my picture taken, but I think when things are so 'overwhelming' my mind just dissociates or something and I get on with it.

changing89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2010, 12:46 am

totally. u kno what its like when i let loose on the dance floor, ive never felt that in the zone and loose other than being on drugs 2 years ago... Cant believe its been that long, but yeah.

Could dancing and getting in the zone be a temporary release for symptoms of aspergers?

I had it very bad tonite at work. very bad, socially i was screwed and weird

Noncon4mist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2010, 12:47 pm

About being in the zone, there's this bestselling book called Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins and I was doing well reading it, until I got to the bit where he says, the only way you can improve yourself is to completely detach yourself from everything, so you see everything as objectively. As if you are outside of yourself (that's what I interpreted it as anyway - sorry I can't remember the exact way he put it).

He said if you can't do that, you will be an emotional wreck, as everything will be so intense all the time that you will be overwhelmed.

But I don't know how to be anything else! It's as though he met people in the 80s (when the book was written) and didn't know they had autism, and just thought he could sort them out with his book.

And yet you get these people saying we should live in the moment more. I live in the moment all the time! I'm guessing a lot of people here do too.

Music is a huge distraction for me. If I don't like it, I can't put up with it. If I like it, I often really like it, and nothing else gets done; I'll drift off into a flight of fancy or dance my socks off (badly). I guess that's when I'm in the zone.

Sadly I'm banned from listening to my favorite music late at night, because I'll just play the same stuff over and over, and stay up all night.

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2010, 5:44 pm

I don't like dancing. The feeling of all of those eyes upon me really makes me withdrawn from it. While I doubt everyone is watching me, or even anyone at all, I still can't help but feel that sense of paranoia.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 5:49 pm

i do better with actual dancing rather than random flailing at clubs

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 2:57 am

the lions' share of stand-up comedians leave me totally cold with their jejune humor. and even if i wanted-to, i dance about as well as a fish rides a bicycle.

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2010, 12:09 am

changing89 wrote:
Hey,

For the first time in my life since i turned 21 this past monday i went to a night club tonite and at first i was awkward but at first i felt like.... really in the zone with bustin out the dance moves. LIke i felt totally connected with the lights and felt connected with some higher power while totally letting loose.

Also I noticed another thing, when I was watching stand up comedy tonite, i was distracted by many things and it was harder for me to laugh. This has happened before. I put on a fake laugh and feel like irritated i guess and i get tired socially quickly. It was a big step forward tonite

Do you all have issues with dancing and like to dance? And or like stand up comedy?

I love dancing and think I'd be terrible with a stand-up routine. Dancing allows me to be creative.

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2010, 10:53 am

changing89 wrote:

Dancing is one of a handful of things where I can free myself from my otherwise overwhelming Aspie physical awkwardness and clutziness. I love dancing. The best music is trance, trip hop, electronica and anything with a good hypnotic beat to it. I also love drum and bass and ska. The only kind of dancing I'm not good at is formal dances where you need to learn the steps.

It's been years since I've been to a comedy club, but I'm not fond of them. First of all, there are few stand up comedians that I find funny. Secondly, like you mentioned there are too many distractions. One thing that's really annoying is people yammering away while the comedian is performing. That drives me nuts and I honestly don't know how the comedians can stand it, not to mention, it's incredibly rude. But, c'est la vie. People yak their asses off in the movies now too :/

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 5:22 pm

I can't dance, and I always do my best to avoid situations in which there will be a lot of dancing.

I also don't do well in settings where there's a lot of people and blaring music; which is why I wouldn't care for "clubbing".