Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

stevieB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2005, 7:01 am

How is your Eye Contact in Conversation?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 8:02 am

I am ok at it most of the time, but often move my eyes away quickly when giving eye contact.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 8:23 am

I'm stereotypical.

90% of the time I manage periodic micro-second glances and not much else. 5% of the time I stare them down like a predator closing in for the kill and with the remaining 5% I can force myself to maintain NT-style eye-contact. I don't know why it's different in each case but it's quite consistent (the same people get the same treatment every time and it doesn't seem to correlate much with their degree of familiarity) so it must have something to do with what I see in their eyes in that first glance.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 10:34 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomcat_ha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2005, 2:16 pm

I have normal eye contact with friends but people i do not know well i mostly dont look directly at them or only briefly.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 6:21 pm

With sign waving at the restraunt I have
been excercizing my eye contact with
future customers at the sandwich shops.

I have later been finding that I am slowly
developing it as a not-so-forced habit,
yet not a natural one.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 6:34 pm

I practiced the same thing while working as a caricature artist. It's great - a perfectly socially acceptable way to stare into someone's face without having to worry about keeping a conversation going at the same time, or responding to any of the messages you might see there.

Therblig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2005, 6:36 pm

My eye contact is simply atrocious. It's so hard and overwhelming, either I listen to the conversation or I try to make eye contact and utterly ignore what is being said.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 6:41 pm

Fine. I've never shown that symptom of AS.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2005, 8:49 pm

It's something that I have been trying very hard to master and I have been makeing great strides. It is the only thing people still seem to notice about me. I know it is even though almost no one ever says anything about it. It still just feels so awkward when doing it though.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2005, 10:39 pm

I've never liked eye contact. I'm alright if the person is generally nice to me and I really enjoy the person and don't see them as threatening. Not really alright, but not terrible. If the person scares me (most do), I look away during conversations.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2005, 11:45 pm

I've been told that it was ok. There is many years of practise behind that result :wink:

It is not natural. I rather look else where so i would be more attentive to what's beeing said 8O

Eyes are scary :oops: . In movies sometimes, they zoom only the eyes so they take the full screen, this scares me. When looking in a magazine and, while turning the pages, there is a photo that takes all the page so the eyes are big, i'd be scared. I cannot control this emotion, i can manage it, let it come and go without anyone noticing it, but i cannot stop it. There was someone here, recently, that has an eye as his icon. I was always trying to have it scrolled out of the window so it was less disturbing (no offence to the one who actually did it, i know it's MY problem).

...(looking at the mouth, looking behind the person(you see 2 person!), looking between the two eyes(difficult), looking to the nose, considering that 5 seconds at the time is enough, knowing that it is ok to look elsewhere while you are searching what to answer as long as you come back when you start answering; all little tricks developped over the years....

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 1:38 pm

I have difficulty w/eye contact. If i am looking the person in the eye while they are speaking, i begin to get off track i.e. What color is this persons eyes? or hmmm. do his pupils look dialated?

I ususally focus on the mouth, after all, thats where the sound is comig from

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 8:34 pm

Sucketh.

If I look at someone else's face, I look at the nose/mouth area. Just can't do eyes. Sometimes even my own in the mirror. But I have no problem with cats' eyes.

Sometimes I can't even look at the face if the person is close to me (as in space). My poetry professor always sits next to me at the round table (well, oval) and he looks straight at me and talks loudly. I avert my eyes to listen to him if he's looking at or toward me.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 6:57 pm

stevieB wrote:
How is your Eye Contact in Conversation?

I've done a lot of work on it. I used to force myself to make eye contact, but that make me look rather creepy.

Now I can make decent eye contact with friends. With strangers it's off-and-on contact. I'll make it then break it immediately.

kaixo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2005, 6:17 pm

i find that mine has improved markedly with adhd medication, for whatever reason (adderall 20 mg/day.)

the difference between kaixo taking adderall and kaixo not taking adderall is pretty darned shocking.