"Breaking rules makes you seem powerful"

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ivan_AG
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2011, 5:20 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 092735.htm

Another power game dynamic in the NT world. More subtle cues and manipulation to one up your competition.

I was very naive and a stupid dumbarse just months ago thinking that actually treating others as you want to be treated will get you anywhere.

It looks like to get ahead and be successful in this life you have to be a predator in waiting. Being nice won't get you anywhere.

Essentially we're a bunch of thinking primates so I shouldn't be too upset, but I can't help it.

This has been bottled up inside me for a few weeks and this article is the breaking point.

/rant

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:33 pm

Nice guys finish LAST in this society. That is why I'm working on becoming a predator.

Ivan_AG

20 May 2011, 5:40 pm

Yep.

Better to screw over others and trample on them.

If that's how it's going to be, than that's just fine, you hear?

Oh, it's going to take some time but I'll get there eventually.

I'll get better than the sociopaths who use others for their own means.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:42 pm

Maybe I should rephrase what I said. I am working on LOOKING like a predator. predators, a--holes, and bullies are the ones that get far in this society.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:44 pm

Well is that so, in that case I think I need to take some B*tch lessons, I don't mind being a nice person but seriously I am so sick of people walking all over me and since that is the way society is set up I don't know what to do.

Ivan_AG

20 May 2011, 5:44 pm

Just go all the way.

I'm tired of pretending to be something I'm not.

Outgoing, happy, social, extroverted, NT, etc.

f**k that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 5:57 pm

Ivan_AG wrote:
Just go all the way.

I'm tired of pretending to be something I'm not.

Outgoing, happy, social, extroverted, NT, etc.

f**k that.

I don't understand why I continue to hold myself back when it is perfectly acceptable for NTs to make total asses of themselves and it even makes them come off as more powerful.

Ivan_AG

20 May 2011, 6:02 pm

Exactly.

All the ridiculous illogical acts committed in public are somehow seen as symbols of "power and dominance".

Just look at a club on a Friday night and read PUA articles on how to spot the "alpha male". It's all so maddeningly stupid that it makes me want to become a goddamn hermit.

Maybe accepting that I'm just a defect of nature will make me feel better, rather than try to compare myself to these social butterflies.

You know, "the truth will set you free" and all that.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Breaking rules only makes you seem powerful to the mentally weak. So if that's who you want to surround yourself with (cowards) go right ahead and do that.

Ivan_AG

20 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Breaking rules only makes you seem powerful to the mentally weak. So if that's who you want to surround yourself with (cowards) go right ahead and do that.

I agree that it's a ludicrous situation where breaking rules makes you powerful, but that's how society is set up. What can you do?

The best I can hope for is to become some sort of martyr of niceness who gets nowhere in life and is eventually buried in a 6' hole with the words "Here lies an unnamed and eternally socially ret*d mediocrite who thought that treating others with respect will actually get his somewhere".

It's a bit long for a tombstone engraving, but I'm working on it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 7:07 pm

That's strange.

I can be an as*hole when I want to, and it gets me absolutely nowhere. I've spent the past 5 years of my life trying to be a jerk to gain power in society, and it hasn't worked one bit.

Pyrrho
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2011, 8:23 pm

Being a predator is rarely a good strategy unless you have good social manipulation skills and/or status and money. The best pattern for the non-NT person is to basically ignore other people and not care about what they want either way. What you can 'get' from people by manipulating them is rarely worth the tedium of interacting with them. Limit your desires and fiddle while the world burns.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 11:00 pm

Ivan_AG wrote:
Mindslave wrote:

I agree that it's a ludicrous situation where breaking rules makes you powerful, but that's how society is set up. What can you do?

The best I can hope for is to become some sort of martyr of niceness who gets nowhere in life and is eventually buried in a 6' hole with the words "Here lies an unnamed and eternally socially ret*d mediocrite who thought that treating others with respect will actually get his somewhere".

It's a bit long for a tombstone engraving, but I'm working on it.

What can you do? Find an environment where rule breaking isn't the name of the game. Sure, you will encounter that everywhere, but there are different degrees of that. Hanging out in a bowling alley versus hanging out in the pub is a good example. Surely the things that interest you don't revolve around rule breaking.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 11:50 pm

"as*holes make it in life and nice people end up in s**t holes"

I think that is how the phrase goes.

ICY
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2011, 10:39 am

I believe Machiavelli was correct when he said that if you’re always good you will lose to those who are bad, and that the best thing was to be able to be both good and bad depending on the situation.

Kushamo
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2011, 2:02 pm

I don't care what anyone says, I'd always take the option of being nice even if I end up in a cardboard box.
Actually, scratch that. It wouldn't be much of an option. A lot of the time I can barely cope with the guilt of even just lying, and looking at what some of the "more successful" people at school do, it'd be a wonder if I'd even be able to sleep.