Think you're going to be a loner when you're older?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you?
Poll ended at 14 Sep 2006, 11:29 am
Yes, I won't be looking forward to it. 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Yes, I won't be looking forward to it. 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but I'm not bothered. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but I'm not bothered. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but I think it's OK. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Yes, but I think it's OK. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
No, but I may not feel comfortable with friends. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I may not feel comfortable with friends. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I will be comfortable with friends. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
No, but I will be comfortable with friends. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
No, but I may mildly like to have a friend. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
No, but I may mildly like to have a friend. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 50

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 11:29 am

At the moment I am only 14 and I have a long way to go before being an adult. I have two friends who I like to spend time with and talk to, but I often think about the future and what life will be like then.

My father often says that I'll meet people with similar intellect and befriend them. I couldn't be sure of that as it depends on whether I want to make a friend.

I often think about when my two friends will go away from me and what my adult enjoyment will be like. I don't think I will have any friends when I'm older, as I wouldn't really be bothered to try to make a friend and I may not be very comfortable with it.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 5:34 pm

I've often thought the same thing-- and I'm 22!
The thing is, you really can't know that. I tend to think people go through phases in terms of friends. You have these two friends now, so why wouldn't you be able to have two more good friends in the future? I wouldn't worry until you get there...

YellowBird
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2006, 7:41 pm

I'm 20 and most of the friends I've had for a long time have moved away, plus 2 of my more recent friends have joined the military. The future looks lonely for me. Oh well.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 8:24 pm

Frankly, I don't know about where I'll be. I am horrible at keeping up with people, but I am also intelligent and clever. I suppose I would prefer some companions to none, but I am afraid to make any bets on how it will all turn out.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2006, 4:28 am

I have a strange feeling that I might be alone in the future, if I'm not careful. I don't find this prospect pleasant, because:

a) My own company gets boring after a while, I like having people to bounce off ideas and babble about my latest interest;

b) Sometimes an activity is more enjoyable when other people are involved [like playing a MMORPG, it gets boring when you're always playing solo];

c) It's nice to know that people can accept me, including my flaws and quirks.

While I would prefer to have company...problem is though, I tend to be erratic in my relations with others. One moment I can be all smiles, and the next moment I can be a cranky b***h. Sometimes I'll talk your ear off, and other times I don't even want to see you. With the benefit of hindsight, my behaviour's not exactly consistent if viewed from an outsider's perspective.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 5:18 am

I'm 18 and have a few friends, don't know what it will be like in the future though.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 11:46 pm

When I was as young as a lot of you are, I wanted to be on my own, live by myself, and have as little to do with people as I could.
Suddenly I wound up with a baby girl from one single mistake. But she needed me and I knew I couldn't be a loner or it wouldn't be good for her. She's grown up now but she and her 2 little girls need me now. I could never wish them away.
Life can surprise you sometimes.

John63
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2006, 12:27 am

I'm 43 and have no friends at all. Up until about age 25, I had maybe 2 or 3 friends at any given time. Job changes and moving across country definitely had an impact. From age 25-35, I had maybe 1 friend. From 35 on -- nothing. I really believe that any kind of incurable chronic illness get worse with age. I think it's just a natural progression. It was probably when I entered my thirties that I first began thinking something was wrong with me. I started noticing that people had a negative reaction to me without even knowing me. They would avoid eye contact and wouldn't say anything if I said hello or good morning. They just pretended to not see or hear me and kept walking. That's around the time I started hearing that I don't smile or I always look angry. No matter how hard I tried to fight it, I found myself becoming more socially withdrawn.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 1:36 am

Yeah I have a strong feeling I will be a loner when I am older, me and my NT sister seem to be headed on opposite paths in life, she will end up a housewife and have a couple of kids, I will end up working in accounting and living by myself, my only access to female company could be sex workers. My social skills right now are plain awful especially in friendships and relationships, I can't see them improving to a point I can maintain an relationship with a woman.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 4:24 am

I'm 33. I have a wife ... that's basically my only friend. We do not socialize, except with family, and often avoid that. We live an entire world up here in our "treehouse" (as we refer to our apartment that has a nice view of alot of foliage).

It suits us fine! This microcosm we inhabit is more than enough - in fact both of us dread those necessary interactions life demands, like getting groceries, enough that we have a system of bartering chores for trips (which works really well in terms of things getting done around the house!). When I think of things that I would like to do that I am not doing, it generally revolves around travelling and exploring. That's what I feel like I'm missing, not company.

On the other hand ... I seem to really enjoy animal companionship ... we have a couple of cats but I've wanted a dog for a long time now, I grew up with dogs and feel like I'm missing something really important in my life without one.

If I had a regular job, I think that would be far more than enough socializing for me. I seem to get along well enough with people in a structured, routine environment - it's the unstructured and unpredictable world of recreational socializing that I have alot of difficulty with. I'd even go so far as to say I find it alot more comfortable and relaxing to work with other people than to do whatever it is you're supposed to be doing when you socialize. My family is well aware of this now, so when I do visit, we usually end up working on some project in the yard (planting the garden, fixing the roof, repairing the deck, etc - they always make sure there's something we can do together).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Aug 2006, 4:35 am

Yeah I'm 36 and a loner. The thing about it is it gets much easier with time.
I do not have a strong drive to be around other people. Life is pretty easy and stress
free alone! The internets good for me because it allows me time to think about what
I say and my brain does not shut down in a typical real life social encounter.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 2:52 pm

I'm 14 too and I also often think about that sort of thing.
I have some friends at school, but I don't think I'd even bother if I didn't see them every day because I would anyway (I hardly see them outside of school).
I have a few friends left over from my old school, but I think I'll end up losing them because I don't really bother seeing them.
Yeah, by the time I go to college I'll probably be alone. I don't really think I'd like that, but at the same time it's just easier.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 3:04 pm

14, and I realize that I probably will be a loner. I sort of mind, but not really. I've accepted my fate. I do wish that I could have a close friend and a wife, just as two people that I could count on just in case, but it will be fun to watch myself suffer completely alone and then watch myself snap.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 4:37 pm

I get very little social contact, and I hate it.

There are my relatives that I talk to a bit, but I don't really relate to most of them with the excepion of my dad and sisters.

I spend a lot of time talking to other people on the net, but it's not really the same thing as being there physically. But hey, I'll take what I can get.

clock
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Aug 2006, 9:06 pm

To see people every day would be far too much for me, I don´t even see my husband daily- but almost anyway. I´ve had few friends since I was 11, now I have 2 friends actually. I have also moved a lot from one place to another, and lived in three different countries, so it makes keeping contact difficult..I am anyway no good at it, it´s usually my friends who call me and often even then I ask my husband to take it and say i don´t want to talk right now. But, therefor, at least these 2 friends are real friends, because they still like me and accept me as I am, although that other friend of mine sometimes seems to get little bit upset.
:roll:

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 11:42 am

I'm 14 and have a few friends, I don't know what it will be like in the future though. I tend not to think of the future. One day at a time for me.