Convention mates giving me place to sleep..that's it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 7:22 am

For the past three cons that I attend every year at this time of the year I have been crashing with someone who I met at a fan track a number of years ago. They usually stay their with their family and two other friends.

Although I crash in room I have picked up on a few things

1. They often have lots of food and drinks in the room but have never offered me any ( I often bring my own food. This year I bought things to contribute to the room and they didn't really acknowledge or say thank you).
2. I only see them once a year and whenever I have set up looking at their electronic devices is more important
3. They have never seemed to invite me to any panels or events during the con
4. They don't call me during the rest of the year to see how I am doing
5. Not once was I invited out to dinner with them
6. They stick together in their little group

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:00 am

I would like to know your input. Should I mention this to them and if so what should I say?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 8:38 am

I wouldn't. They are perfectly within their rights to behave that way, and they're already being very kind in letting you crash there.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2015, 10:38 am

I don't mind if they're generous enough to let me sleep on their floor. That is not the issue. What I would really like is if we got to know each other during con. Instead they care more about their stupid smart phones and the content that is on them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

11 Sep 2015, 10:18 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I don't mind if they're generous enough to let me sleep on their floor. That is not the issue. What I would really like is if we got to know each other during con. Instead they care more about their stupid smart phones and the content that is on them.
Invite them to hang out with you at the con

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 8:14 am

Offer them some of your food. Maybe, with their permission, cook them something.

Tell them you like their company. Don't try to force the issue as far as their clique is concerned.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 5:38 pm

I bought a set of things for myself to eat and a separate set of items for them. I didn't really get an "Thank you" from them.

As for next year, I would like to try aiming at saving up to get a room to myself for next year. After all I have the whole year to save up.

In regards to inviting them out I will look at inviting them to join me for dinner somewhere as a way of saying thank you.