The Aspie Way Of Understanding Social Situations

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2011, 6:50 am

I've figured out the best way for me and probably most of us to learn social situations and it's under our noses.

Try to understand the process of collecting social information in sensory terms i.e. where to turn your visual attention, auditory attention, etc. in order to get the best information to act on.

And don't forget your peripherals.

If you feel like it's in reach make synesthesias for yourself that allow faster processing of the information.

Ultimately NTs are good at processing social information because their senses are subconsciously/unconsciously tuning themselves to the right "sensory coordinates" to get the information, so this is consciously replicating the same process.

This might not be a full solution. You still got to figure out what to do with this information once it is in your head, but it's a start.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 7:04 am

I prefer the analytic method.

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2011, 7:12 am

Thought mine was plenty analytical.

Of course figuring out where to turn your attention doesn't mean you're done. You still got to take note of what various body language and other things mean.

But at least if you can figure out in your head which set of information is likely to be the most relevant it's a good starting point for making observations to analyze.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

i also analyze by choise.
mainly becouse if i activate my stimuly and periferials, i get overwhelmed in almost every situation, so it is vital to turn them off for me.

over time, i have learned standard responses for many situations, which became almost reflex over time; these are normally sufficient and free up brainpower to analyze what these learned reflexes can't cover