is unsolicited attempts to help someone else a waste of time

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

i think so.

there are some exceptions. if your child or spouse joined a cult, you would do everything you can to pull them out. but i am talking about friends rather than family.

my belief: if a person does not have a determination to change, you are wasting your time trying to keep helping them. and do not continue helping them until they ask for it.

situations such as a person being an relationship where they are being manipulated by the other person who, by some misfortune, they love, or someone who is refusing to look for work and not making something of themselves, or someone who got sucked into a cult, or multilevel marketing scheme or something along those lines.

i could politely tell the person that they are in a situation that will eventually cause them harm, but thats all one can do, in many cases.

but when the person is sucked into their routine and may be too stubborn to listen to the other side of why they may be making a mistake. you could remind them again and again, but at a certain point, its their problem, and not yours.

in my experience, and the experience of those i know, any attempt to give unsolicited help to people (no matter how badly you think they need it) is equivalent to just putting hours and hours of your time in a hole.

of course, i'm not saying always or never. and my personal views and experiences arent the ultimate truth to this subject.

your thoughts?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm

Well in my experiance the worst thing to do to a friend or family member you care about is give up on them......I mean if they don't change and blatently refuse to acknowledge the have a friend/family member trying to help them and are violent or hateful towards the friend of family member then yeah it kind of does become their problem.

However I could use the example of my depression....yeah sometimes I get so low no amount of advice can really bring me out of it......but it helps if there is someone there in support even if they cannot change how I feel. but that is just my opinion.....I can't imagine what I would do if everyone who cares about me just decided it was worthless to waste anymore time trying to help.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well in my experiance the worst thing to do to a friend or family member you care about is give up on them......I mean if they don't change and blatently refuse to acknowledge the have a friend/family member trying to help them and are violent or hateful towards the friend of family member then yeah it kind of does become their problem.

However I could use the example of my depression....yeah sometimes I get so low no amount of advice can really bring me out of it......but it helps if there is someone there in support even if they cannot change how I feel. but that is just my opinion.....I can't imagine what I would do if everyone who cares about me just decided it was worthless to waste anymore time trying to help.

but with depression, you are admitting it is a problem.

my examples of being an abusive relationship or being part of a Multi level marketing scam, the person doesn't believe it is a problem and likely stubbornly refuse to listen to the other side of the story.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 10:35 pm

minervx wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

but with depression, you are admitting it is a problem.

my examples of being an abusive relationship or being part of a Multi level marketing scam, the person doesn't believe it is a problem and likely stubbornly refuse to listen to the other side of the story.

Well in that case I see your point a bit better.......but yeah sometimes with me it gets to the point where I will even reject helpful advice because it overwhelms me while chances are I still do actually need support. But yeah my mom and her boyfriend argue a lot and It cannot really be my problem I think they both need relationship counseling and will gladly say that but beyond that there is not much I can do.......it is blatently obvious they need something but its kind of something they have to decide for themselves.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 2:30 pm

The way I look at it is like this, a Bible verse says it well.

Quote:
When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.

Ezekiel 3:18-3:19

Depends on how much you care, really. Most of the time I risk the awkwardness of giving advice and just give it, because I feel this way. I do it maybe too much, even instructing people in things like skating, cooking, etc. It's a double edged sword for me, some people really appreciate my help, while others seem to despise it and despise me for giving it. Oh well.

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2011, 7:07 am

You're right. Some people are toxic and just drain your energy, you need to preserve yourself in these situations by taking several steps back from the person, but still letting them know you are there for them.
There is a saying "You can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink"; meaning that you can help people up to a certain point, but you can't help them completely unless they want to help themselves.

P.S. I read in "Men are from Mars Women are from Venus" that women are more likely to think kindly of unsolicited help than men. The book says that women would see the offer of unsolicited help as a caring gesture, you have seen they are in need and you have anticipated that they need assistance. This means you are a good friend and care about them.
Men view unsolicited advice/assistance as meaning that the person offering the advice thinks they are incompetent and too stupid to be capable of solving their problem on their own.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Quote:
is unsolicited attempts to help someone else a waste of time

yes it would be in my opinion.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

minervx wrote:
your thoughts?

Replace "unsolicited" with "unwanted" and you're probably spot-on.

As sweetleaf said, it's one thing if someone needs help who admits there's a problem, really gets it, but honestly doesn't get how to change out of it. It's another if the person's not ready to admit to a problem and is too stubborn to see it.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Depends how reasonable the person you're trying to help is.

I'm extremely reasonable, i know that with most things i can give a completely objective opinion, everything but myself. I, like most people, have a blind spot. I can never truly take a step back and see myself from the point of view of someone else. Whenever i do judge myself i know i have the tendency of being way too hard on myself. If i can be sure the help is genuine constructive criticism and i can trust the opinion of the person then im game, keep it coming.

Only a weak person wouldn't want to hear the truth.

Karuna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Quote:
When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.

Ezekiel 3:18-3:19

Awesome quote. If i could help someone and i didn't i wouldn't be able to live with myself. I don't care if someone hates me for it, i'd rather be hated than live with the guilt. People have thanked me later for advice ive given that at first they've rejected. Even if they never admit it, people do listen and do take it in. You just have to make sure that your advice is given for the right reasons, to help them and not to push them down further. That's the important distinction, all my advice is given to help.