Do you throw a party for your birthday?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 12:04 am

I haven't done that since I was 11. Mostly I just have (a) friend out to celebrate. I feel it's weird, cuz you're supposed to have like seven friends meet you at a bar and get you drunk and make a huge night out of it. I hardly do anything. Just go out and do something, but nothing big enough to merit an occasion like your birthday.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

No.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 12:50 am

My gatherings now are pretty minor, and since my birthday is just after the holidays, the party is often bundled with that.

But they do not have me

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:04 am

no. i dislike parties also i dont have many friends to invite(i think this is a good thing). my family usually comes and we have cake and i wish for them to leave. my birthday is in 2 weeks. i dread it.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 2:28 am

VMSmith wrote:
my family usually comes and we have cake and i wish for them to leave.

:lol:

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2011, 2:33 am

"Parties" seem to take on a whole new meaning when you're an adult. And I don't mean wild parties either. I just mean that a couple friends over, some food, some gifts, and some games is now considered a party. At least by us. So if that's what you mean by party, yes. A celebration, anyway.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 3:37 am

my mom always had a small family party for me until this year. she's had a financial reversal, so this year i bought the food and we had the party at her house. i enjoy giving and getting gifts. i enjoy being around people so long as it's not all the time. so i'd say these parties are a good thing. gives me an excuse to spend time with my sisters.

DaKing
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2011, 3:47 am

Yeah when I was 6 to 3 years old and a place called Kidz Korner(Gone bust)

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2011, 4:03 am

I hate parties. The last birthday party I had was in 3rd or 4th grade. My mom insisted on inviting the whole class despite my displeasure with the idea.

Nobody came. That was the last time she ever tried to get me to have a party.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 7:26 am

I've had three parties one I don't remember when I was 6, a sleepover with 3 girls watching a bunch of episodes of scooby doo when I was 13 and a twenty first.

The twenty first was smallish - 20 people or so. We ate mexican food, played games including volley ball with balloons and my own version of a trivia night and not much alcohol was consumed. 1 bottle of wine and four ciders between 20 people. My issue with parties is feeling patronized like people are there cause they feel sorry for you (not necessarily the case).

I'd probably prefer to do parties as inviting a small group out to lunch or dinner in the future or going and seeing a movie or something.

Edited: added paragraph spaces to make it easier to read

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 8:28 am

I usually have birthday parties every year but that is because I like tradition. I am going to be 30 this year and I am doing a big 80's theme since I was born in 1981. As for alcohol, it's highly overrated and it will get you into trouble. You might also with the meet the seven friends at a restaurant and consume a little alcohol where is it not flowing. You might also want to look at doing a dinner party with very little alcohol where everyone has a good time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm

never had any kind of birthday party my whole life. never had anybody to celebrate it with. until recent years, never felt any need to celebrate my birthday, i was more hoping god would strike me dead and put me outta my misery. but since i've learned to love myself no matter what the rest of the world was doing, i've always made it a priority to treat myself on my birthday, with a restaurant meal of some kind. my birthday is just about the only time i will ever set foot in any kind of foody place.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

The last birthday party i had was when i was 5. So no.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 12:02 am

No, because noone would go.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 12:04 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I haven't done that since I was 11. Mostly I just have (a) friend out to celebrate. I feel it's weird, cuz you're supposed to have like seven friends meet you at a bar and get you drunk and make a huge night out of it. I hardly do anything. Just go out and do something, but nothing big enough to merit an occasion like your birthday.

This is exactly me.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 2:03 am

My last birthday "party" was two years ago. The problem was, even though lots of people came out, some of the people I wanted there the most couldn't make it. It is SO hard to get everyone together in one place, especially if they are in school and/or working. As well, since I am more so friends with people one-on-one, most of the people didn't know each other...and I hated how they were all shy and didn't mingle much. I was hoping everyone would start chatting with each other because they had things in common, but they didn't. I have memories of going around that night and asking "Is everyone having fun?". I also got drunk at my friend's place and had some...erm...awkward experiences. I was a party girl at the time and saw stuff like taht as fun, but now I'm just embarrased about that night. I never had a birthday party again.

My last birthday involved dinner and a concert with two of my good friends. I realized it's not about the quanity of friends, but the quality of their friendships.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.