Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:00 pm

I had an awkward conversation yesterday. I was catching up with someone I haven't seen for a long time and he was asking general catvh up conversation questions. Have you been on holiday, what have you been up to, where do you hang out with your friends?

It's not until I have conversations like this that I realise how alone I am in the world. I don't have anyone to go on holiday with, nor any money to pay for a holiday. I haven't done much of anything lately, I can't affordmuch after the essential bills are paid. I don't really have any friends that I spend time with like he would.

I felt like I must be coming across as very strange.

Anyone else feel like this? I have enough trouble talking to people anyway, but I don't even have regular relatable things to talk about either as this conversation proves. Not that he would judge me, he just thinks i'm shy. But I feel, um, I dunno... Not good.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:02 pm

Yeah man me too. But it gets better. So don't let it affect you because you know what makes you happy. Right?

I usually just tell them my plans. Like I've been watching some cool movies, or I've been reading this new book. And if they have any concerns as to why I'm not snowboarding in the winter or why I haven't been to some cool new place I'm just like "I'm not into that."

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

me too. just say something dismissive like or say 'oh i haven't really been out much lately' (as though it's an unusual thing haha) and then distract them with a question about their life

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 3:33 am

My current lack of social life is the reason why anybody who really talks to me thinks Im overly fixated on work and school. I mean back when I had a social life, if anyone talked to me, i would make brief references to it. I generally focus the conversation away from the social part.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here

cleo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

I hate being caught like that. It happens randomly, all your life.

It's very difficult when they ask more than one question to which the reply is "N/A"!

Don't feel alone. It happens to all of us. One feels awkward for a few minutes, then it's past.

Realize, the OP probably doesn't remember your answers 10 minutes later.