When somebody wants something, how do you say no?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

I find it hard to do.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

"No."

"I am not able to help you with this."

"I'm sorry that you have this need, but I am unable to help you."

"No thanks."

"You will have to get this elsewhere."

"I can't help you with this personally, perhaps I can help you find somewhere or someone that CAN help you."

"I feel your need, but this is your responsibility and I am saying 'no'"

"No, and I would like to stress that this is my final answer. I would appreciate you stop asking."

How's that?

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

I wanted to add something to my above reply...

I USED to have a lot of problems saying "no" when I was much younger. I had some "boundary issues". In other words, I had trouble distinguishing when my responsibility and someone elses responsibility were separated.

For instance, if someone asked me to "lend" (they meant "give") them money for coffee, I would feel that I should help them because I would feel bad if I didn't have money for coffee. However, in reality, the person I would lend the money to would never pay me back, nor were they particular more friendly with me after helping them out. The fact is - as mature human beings - they are as able to budget their money and have money for coffee as anyone else. Their needing money for coffee because they were unable to budget was NOT my problem - it was their problem. It took a while for me to say, "I don't have any money to spare this time, sorry." and stand by this.

As for your specific situation(s) - think of times when you wished you would have said "no". Think about the situations - was the person trying to put their problem onto you? How? After you have thought of this, draft some short, scripted responses. Take at look at my first post for some ideas. Maybe people are always hitting you up for coffee money or asking for cigarettes or gum. Whatever this situation is - have a couple of short, firm responses on the ready. It will feel unnatural to you at first - but once you practice - you will find it easier to say no. Better yet, the people who tend to take advantage of you will stop asking as they realize that you are a person who is assertive and can stand up for themselves.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

Tell them "not no, but F@CK!. NO!" then smile and turn your back on them like they are not even there.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 12:15 am

"Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2011, 4:59 am

CanadianRose wrote:
I wanted to add something to my above reply...

I USED to have a lot of problems saying "no" when I was much younger. I had some "boundary issues". In other words, I had trouble distinguishing when my responsibility and someone elses responsibility were separated.

For instance, if someone asked me to "lend" (they meant "give") them money for coffee, I would feel that I should help them because I would feel bad if I didn't have money for coffee. However, in reality, the person I would lend the money to would never pay me back, nor were they particular more friendly with me after helping them out. The fact is - as mature human beings - they are as able to budget their money and have money for coffee as anyone else. Their needing money for coffee because they were unable to budget was NOT my problem - it was their problem. It took a while for me to say, "I don't have any money to spare this time, sorry." and stand by this.

As for your specific situation(s) - think of times when you wished you would have said "no". Think about the situations - was the person trying to put their problem onto you? How? After you have thought of this, draft some short, scripted responses. Take at look at my first post for some ideas. Maybe people are always hitting you up for coffee money or asking for cigarettes or gum. Whatever this situation is - have a couple of short, firm responses on the ready. It will feel unnatural to you at first - but once you practice - you will find it easier to say no. Better yet, the people who tend to take advantage of you will stop asking as they realize that you are a person who is assertive and can stand up for themselves.

Thank you for understanding the question, that's really helpful.

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2011, 9:27 pm

"I can't help you with that."

"I'm busy."

"No."

I used to have this when I was younger. Now I just say a terse "no" and that is it, especially when I see no benefit in helping out and no harm in saying "no."

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 12:04 am

I was never taught to say NO.
My parents were narcisstic and they used to compel me to do things and i if i didnt do they would beat me up.

My mother used to end up at my place at odd hours sometimes in late afternoon without informing and she expected me to serve her a hearty meal at a short time notice.

She would enter early morning around 6.00 and expect me to rush and run around the room warming tea and making morning breakfast for her she would not have courtesy to even inform earlier that she would be landing up.

Slowly and steadily i understood how to avoid her i would just go back to bed when she landed up at odd hours making it quite clear that i would not act as her servant.

but yet i have not learned to say NO to other people and i have a tough time dealing with this issue.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 6:17 am

"I'm not sure. Can I have some time to think about this."

"I am currently busy with many tasks on my hands, and i'm tied up. Can I get back to you in a week or two?"
(and then never do). If it is a very temporary request, then it will fade away.

or my favorite:
just "No"

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

If they want you to take them somewhere or run an errand for them "I'm sorry, I can't. I have plans" (Your plans are to do anything else but that!)

If they want to borrow money "I'm sorry, I just don't have it" (You may have money but you don't have money to lend them)

If they want to borrow an item of yours you can either say that you are planning on using it, it's not working right, you have already promised to let someone else borrow it, or if it's clothing say someone else has borrowed it, it has a rip and is being fixed, it's at the cleaners, etc.

If somebody wants to crash on your couch for a night or two tell them that you have plans at your house which may include another sleepover guest, so not this time.

If they want a jump off, you tell them your alternator isn't that good, nor is your battery and you arent taking any chances.

If they want to use your cell phone, your battery is almost dead and you don't want it to die before you can charge it

Or, you could just say with a sympathetic look "I'm sorry, I can't. I gotta run though, see ya!" and leave. You don't have to give an excuse. You do not owe them one. But it's only polite to give them one, even if it's not exactly true.

Frances

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 1:29 pm

"No."

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 7:40 pm

"Thanks, but I think I'll be alright/good/fine."

"Nah, I'll pass. Thanks, though."

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 7:56 pm

"Die die die!"

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 2:27 am

I'm not asking HOW do YOU say no.....
It's just that I really don't want to hurt the other persons feelings by saying no (Without lying). But it's okay. I've dealt with it....

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

KingLes98 wrote:
I'm not asking HOW do YOU say no.....
It's just that I really don't want to hurt the other persons feelings by saying no (Without lying). But it's okay. I've dealt with it....

Okay, that makes a little more sense. I thought the question seemed a little silly.
I would say "no", but more importantly I would give a brief explanation why. You should be direct and honest. Your brief explanation would help clarify your stance.

Actual example (actually happened to me):
Other person: "Can I borrow some money? I will pay you back this Friday."
Me: "No, sorry but my personal policy is that I don't loan money to anyone."
Other person: "Your personal...um..okay"
Me: "Yeah its nothing personal I just don't loan money."
Other person: "maybe just a few dollars?"
Me: "okay, when I said I don't loan money, I meant any amount of money, it just makes things..."
Other person (interrupting): "okay, okay I get it already"
walks away

I was never asked again, and the other person did not feel I was rude. Maybe that real life example from me will help you. I was assertive but I was polite and more importantly, I did not lie. I truly believe it is possible to do all three.