Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 2:49 pm

I didn't know where to put this topic. I was wondering have any of you have had foreign students (elementary through high school age) from countries such as China, Japan, South Korea maybe even the UK stay with you while they attend a private school near by? Or do you know of anyone who has done such as this? I understand that families do this as a source of income. You can make at least $1000 US a month extra. How did it work out? Did the children snap back at you? I still live with my parents even though I do work full time. Just don't make enough to get my own place. I don't have any siblings either and have always lived with mom and dad. My cousin (mom's sister's son) is sending his 12 year old daughter to attend a Catholic school near us. She will live with us till maybe 2014 when she completes the 8th grade. She did attend a private elementary school in Seoul where she had teachers from the US there. But she hasn't lived in the US at all. My cousin is wealthy and can afford the $700 a month tuition rate for an international student fee. Jenny isn't Catholic though and neither are her parents. (I'm half Korean/half white btw) I'm not looking forward to this at all. My cousin will pay my parents certain amount per month too. She did attend some summer study in LA, but hated it. But for a 12 year old to go to a school overseas, be away from the parents, other family members and friends, can it be ok? I'm hoping she doesn't last long here. I like having my own thing. I don't like this situation at all.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

I don't understand the "gist" of this or where it's going or what you want to know. I am very well acquainted with families who have had AFS students when I was younger. Like anything else, it was a mixed bag. The students from Europe, Asia and Austrailia were, on the whole, very respectful and friendly and still keep in touch with their host families ans school firends in this country. The students from Islamic countries were quite the opposite. There was some very discomforting friction to the point where a couple of students wound up getting shipped back. I am only reporting what I've observed, and nothing more. I'm not making any judgments.