Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

Anyone else feel like Asperger's is essentially just being four year behind a nuerotypical.

Like in high school, being socially functional enough to do well in middle school.
Or you didn't learn the social skills needed for high school until you got to college.
Or you didn't learn the social skills needed to make the best out of college until near the end?

Or that you experienced many social milestones that most people experience a couple years later?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:22 pm

minervx wrote:
Anyone else feel like Asperger's is essentially just being four year behind a nuerotypical.

Like in high school, being socially functional enough to do well in middle school.
Or you didn't learn the social skills needed for high school until you got to college.
Or you didn't learn the social skills needed to make the best out of college until near the end?

Or that you experienced many social milestones that most people experience a couple years later?

I've actually never mastered any of these social skills, I function best when I'm around friends or trusted family members other then that I kind of fail. but I do not think I have the social skills of a younger neurotypical...I think in general my mind develops differently not just slower.

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

I think it is longer than 4 years.

Or maybe it is a percentage of your age. When I was 12 I had an 8 year old friend.
Now that I am an adult when I have had a friend they are considerably younger, but I look very young for my age and I am emotionally a lot younger I think.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2012, 7:48 pm

I feel more like I am 8 or more years behind people in every aspect besides researching and knowledge of certain subjects. I don't seem to be any better at talking to people now than I was 4 years ago, or 8 years ago.

AQ: 36

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Yes, in some ways I develop both different and slower.

And yet, at different times of my life, I have been friends with older people (or kind of friends, looking back I sometimes wonder if I've been treated as a mascot). And now I'm better at step by step and feel and texture skills.

Sainrith
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

minervx wrote:

Yes, but intellectually, I should have been in college when I was in high school and so on, but that is the problem with the homogenous, age-based progression in public schools, instead of a more tailored approach.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

Yes, I feel that way. I felt like I was going through my high school rebellion years in my 18-23 year old stage. I was always behind for everything physically and mentally. I went through puberty pretty late as well. I didn't get my period until I was 15. Now that I'm 25, I feel like I'm 18 or 19.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

minervx wrote:

ya i was always 3-4 years behind lagging severely
but friend wise i always end up making friendship with elderly old ladies
they are more mature and i am also quite mature enough and quite serious not much into joking etc

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

Definitely! When I was at school, my friends were at least four years younger than me, and now I work in a primary school with ten year olds, some if them see me as a 'friend' which isnt exactly what the role should be but I'm not a teacher and it's nice to be able to relate to people and spend time with them even if they're a lot younger than me.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

alessi wrote:
I think it is longer than 4 years.

Or maybe it is a percentage of your age. When I was 12 I had an 8 year old friend.
Now that I am an adult when I have had a friend they are considerably younger, but I look very young for my age and I am emotionally a lot younger I think.

Same here, I had an 8 year old friend as a 12 year old as well. She lived on my street.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm

I'm either behind or ahead. I'm never at my age group.

I have friends that are so much younger....and then my other friends are....well, ancient in the eyes of a 20 year old like myself.

It's normal for me....but probably seems weird to others.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Yes. Despite being in my early 20's I still feel maturity/life stage wise like I'm in my mid teens.

philippepetit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm

i think modern western society infantalizes everybody to an absurd degree regardless of aspergers or whatever. this is what happens when you let baby boomers raise kids.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 7:56 pm

minervx wrote:

hey... you ripped this one off me.

Nevertheless ive heard that the standard is like 2-3 years behind
It seems that way for me too.
I get along with 8th graders pretty well

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 8:19 pm

Wait till you hit your 30's with out co morbid and you will not know how old you are, :?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 6:12 am

I think it's more to do with percentages than years, so the gap would widen as you get older because those younger than you are a larger group. So if an 8 year old was socially 4 then they carried on the 4 year gap, they'd be socially 34 when they were 38 and there really isn't any difference between those ages. So they'd probably be more like socially a teenager or something.