Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

Hi, I talk on the phone a lot and for a living and I have noticed that I when I speak to someone who isn't who I need to speak with, they will be happy to point me in the right direction or sometimes act like a deer to headlights. I will then say "Thank you very much." They won't even as much as say "Goodbye:" to me back or say "You're welcome." Instead you will hear them hang up the phone with a loud click.

What does it indicate? I don't like it and I find it to be unprofessional. Normally it does not bother me but I need some pointers understanding what the click means.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

The click is just them hanging up.

Telephone is an electrical device. When you lift the receiver it closes circuits and power flows normally. When you hang up, the receiver opens the circuit and electric stops flowing. That can manifest as a noise.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

I still don't understand why they can't be cordial and say "You're welcome and goodbye."

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

Are you a telemarketer or bill collector?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

It usually means that they feel your call interrupted them and they don't feel they owe you any courtesy.

I always hang up on telemarketers or bill collectors. I feel that it's my phone, my phone number, I pay for it so I can choose who I talk to and who I don't. I do feel that unwanted calls are an interruption and a disturbance so I feel that I am completely justified in hanging up on them.

If I've ever hung up on you, I apologize. It's nothing personal at all. It's just a pet peeve of mine. When people call me who I don't know/want to talk to.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
It usually means that they feel your call interrupted them and they don't feel they owe you any courtesy.

I always hang up on telemarketers or bill collectors. I feel that it's my phone, my phone number, I pay for it so I can choose who I talk to and who I don't. I do feel that unwanted calls are an interruption and a disturbance so I feel that I am completely justified in hanging up on them.

If I've ever hung up on you, I apologize. It's nothing personal at all. It's just a pet peeve of mine. When people call me who I don't know/want to talk to.

Yes, I do telemarketing right now but it's not the ones that call to sell a service to a home. I do commercial work and call different companies for a living. I love it.

I have had regular people do this to me even if I don't telemarket. One time I was trying to get a hold of a former ex-friend for something and I called their parent's house because I could not find their phone number on white pages.com. So I called up their parents and asked for their number. They were pretty rude on the phone with me too. They gave me the number and I said "Thank you," and then they hung up. I was insulted. They did not bother to ask how I was doing or anything. Hanging up like that is my pet peeve. Lol

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 6:51 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I have had regular people do this to me even if I don't telemarket. One time I was trying to get a hold of a former ex-friend for something and I called their parent's house because I could not find their phone number on white pages.com. So I called up their parents and asked for their number. They were pretty rude on the phone with me too. They gave me the number and I said "Thank you," and then they hung up. I was insulted. They did not bother to ask how I was doing or anything. Hanging up like that is my pet peeve. Lol

hmm...happens with me a lot
so i keep away from people

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:04 am

When they picked up the phone Namaste, I asked for my ex-friend and the way her mother talked was like a hill billy. They said, "My child don't live here no more," in a very harsh tone. I asked for the number politely and they gladly gave it. I said, "Thanks...name." Then I heard them hanging up the phone. I was again very surprised.

Do you have any idea why they may have hung up on me? Not that I am upset with them anymore, the point here is why do people hang up after you are so courteous to say "Goodbye?"

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
When they picked up the phone Namaste, I asked for my ex-friend and the way her mother talked was like a hill billy. They said, "My child don't live here no more," in a very harsh tone. I asked for the number politely and they gladly gave it. I said, "Thanks...name." Then I heard them hanging up the phone. I was again very surprised.

Do you have any idea why they may have hung up on me? Not that I am upset with them anymore, the point here is why do people hang up after you are so courteous to say "Goodbye?"

maybe they have cut off from their son and are not interested in interacting with his friends....

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Yeah, I definitely get the feeling from their words that there is probably a difficult relationship with their child and they aren't too keen on being reminded of it.

In response to your first post, people in business often are pretty busy and if they get a lot of calls like yours it can be kind of annoying always having people interrupting your work. I choose to assume the best in people and that they are not trying to be rude.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

I know that the world is not out to get me here I am just having problem reading social cues.

@ Poppyfields- I have often wondered is my ex-friend is not on speaking terms with their parents. When this person was growing up, they and this parent had a weird relationship. That parent was extremely abusive to their child and it seemed to be for stupid things that were not my friend's fault. EG- If their step sibling fell down, this parent would falsely accuse my friend of hitting their child out of jealous and end up hitting them.

Then again, my ex- friend seems to still have a relationship with their parent for odd reasons that I am not going to go into.
Anyway, I am not going to go into anymore details about this ex-friend.