does asperger's get better as you get older?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

animefan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2012, 11:43 pm

I notice that the old I get the better I get at talking to people.

I think it because high school is like a lain din.
what do you guys think?

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2012, 11:46 pm

Yes it gets easier; especially if you have a growth mindset.
In adulthood you don't have to put up with a lot of crap you from booster child - high school.
You also have a lot more control over your environment, choice over who you have in your life, and the perspective to understand it all.
Not sure what you mean about 'lain din'.

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2012, 1:37 am

As I thought its happening to me as well, since learning so many new things since I started high school and college. It helps me a lot if I go places more than doing nothing. This makes myself feel more confident and feel does not have an aspie at all.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 2:09 am

It got easy for me as well as I got older.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 2:54 am

Yes, I find it much easier these days. It is partly a matter of learning and partly adapting my environment to suit myself.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 3:18 am

You "grow out of it" in a lot of ways but not all of course.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 5:58 am

animefan wrote:
I notice that the old I get the better I get at talking to people.

I think it because high school is like a lain din.
what do you guys think?

Yeah, it does get a lot better especially by college or junior year in high school for me, hopefully

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:54 am

I think it does get better as you get older. Even my family comments about how I've improved. That's not to say I've grown out of it but rather improved in some areas of socializing and things I wasn't aware of before I was diagnosed.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:00 am

Yes, it has gotten a lot easier for me--I've traveled in dozens of states for all sorts of reasons--this makes it much easier to handle the small talk aspect of socializing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:50 am

It seems to have gotten harder for me especially after last week when i went camping with my sister and some others I don't even know how many times I freaked out over something stupid and was convinced everyone hated me for it, even if they told me it wasn't a big deal and everyone freaks out sometimes so they don't.......though I don't have to deal with all the bullying i did in elementary, middle or highschool. But yeah if anything I am seeing things getting worse not better. I would not say its the AS getting worse, but that isn't anything I've 'grown out of' at all.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

In my case, it got worse over the years. I turned from a slightly nerdy but mostly functional kid into a semi-functional adult with severe issues, and then into a shut-in with zero social contact. Now I'm on the way of becoming a crazy old cat person.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 11:41 am

In my case becoming a recluse wasn't an option - I had to face the world and adapt or be homeless (I came REALLY close to being homeless). There wasn't anyone that would bail me out if I failed so I failed, tried again, failed, tried again... until I succeeded because there wasn't another option. Such pressure to fend for myself forced me to choose my focuses from things that I could make a living doing (computer technology and related areas).
The key was adapting myself and choosing my environment so that I could be successful. Some people still think I'm weird (shallow people I could give a crap about anyway) but others appreciate my 'unique' viewpoints and accept me as I am (at least they say and act so..). I didn't get a formal diagnosis until last year though - that may play into it since 'the diagnosis bias' can affect both the person giving the diagnosis and the person being diagnosed. All I knew was that I was different and being like other people wasn't an option for me. Falling in love and getting married seemed to help too.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

That depends on what aspects of Asperger's you define as an improvement. I still have stimming episodes. I walk around aimlessly not knowing why. If there is a distraction I find it difficult to get back to work. I daydream for so long. I "can see colors in numbers". I talk to myself and there's that odd moment when I realize Im talking to myself.... I make odd noises occasionally that just come out of my mout or words just come out involuntarily... I have strong feelings for revenge. ...

The list goes on and on but you get the picture. Some areas unfortunately will not change because of how the brain is wired.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

Luska wrote:
That depends on what aspects of Asperger's you define as an improvement. I still have stimming episodes. I walk around aimlessly not knowing why. If there is a distraction I find it difficult to get back to work. I daydream for so long. I "can see colors in numbers". I talk to myself and there's that odd moment when I realize Im talking to myself.... I make odd noises occasionally that just come out of my mout or words just come out involuntarily... I have strong feelings for revenge. ...

The list goes on and on but you get the picture. Some areas unfortunately will not change because of how the brain is wired.

I do the same with odd noises; humming parts of songs... sometimes I get snippets of songs stuck in my head; I have to make sure important things (like diabetes medicine) are in my line of sight going out the door because I'll forget them otherwise. I just try to be more self aware so I'm not annoying others so much though sometimes when I'm focused on things I'm not paying attention; other than that just being open with people and asking them to let you know if you're annoying them helps. I still annoy people I'm sure... but I'm happier.

I started addressing my issues by developing work-arounds. For my ADHD I always have an engineered distraction going so that I can focus on whatever I have to do (like right now I'm listening to an audiobook). For Aspergers I became more self accepting (nothing slows down personal progress like hating yourself) and adopted a growth mindset (I'm a work in progress...only quitting is failure) where I just keep trying to improve in an area that is holding me back. My stimming migrated to less noticeable ones... I still rock a little and tap my feet sometimes if I'm not paying attention but usually it's just my fingers or my teeth doing it now. It does annoy some people but far fewer.

I would suggest doing something constructive while you walk around aimlessly; perhaps listen to a book or just consider it exercise.
Quote:
I have strong feelings for revenge

Unfortunately such feelings cut both ways. They don't usually hurt the person you want revenge on; just you. It robs you of energy you could otherwise use for your benefit. Until I got a handle on my anger I was pretty miserable. Try to forgive ignorant people - they don't know any better.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 4:43 am

Today a girl in my office commented that i have been opening up
she said that i was quite closed earlier....
i never felt that way since i was always nice with everyone :P
so maybe as per peoples opinion i might be improving in anyway

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

namaste wrote:
Today a girl in my office commented that i have been opening up
she said that i was quite closed earlier....
i never felt that way since i was always nice with everyone :P
so maybe as per peoples opinion i might be improving in anyway

Other people noticed my improvement due to Toastmasters long before I did.
I had no idea how it affected people that I never talked to them for days or even weeks - they assumed that I didn't like them when in fact I was just too self absorbed and anti-social due to AS.
It is probable you have improved :)