Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 10:55 pm

I think what really help me in life and growing up was that I was ''funny'' or people
thought I was funny, and being fast too help.

back in school, kid use to make fun of me, but once they found out that I was fast,
I gain their respect, and being class clown help too.

as an adult my humor, and being shape has really help me with people,
but I do feel you folks here, who get label as creepy by just standing there, that sucks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 12:47 am

tell me about it.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
tell me about it.

Ok, I'll try. I do run into crabby people, but we all do. But most people, for the most part are nice to me.
People just find me ''funny'', to be honest I don't think Im funny, I never ever thought I was funny,
but I can make people laugh without even trying.

so, I don't know what else to say. But it does sucks for some of you folks here that get called creepy by doing nothing.
That is very rude for people to say that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:21 am

better to be laughed with than laughed at.

AspergerSupport
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2013, 1:39 am

I have the same thing. I'm starting to think awesomeness is a curse!

Nick774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 1:56 am

Humor is really admired by the NTs.

I like humor too. My problem is that most people don't "get" my sarcasm. Often times people think I'm dead serious, and sometimes this has actually offended people to the point that they brought it up with me afterwards.

My understanding is that this is caused by my deficits in my ability to convey appropriate tone and facial expressions.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

30 Mar 2013, 2:03 am

I have always had a good sense of humor but had trouble conveying it till I worked on getting more inflection in my voice. Now, I think I can make many people laugh. There's one girl I know who laughs like every time I say anything, even if it's not supposed to be funny. I think she herself might be socially ret*d. lol

Doesn't really lead to anything more though. It's helped on dates but that's about it.

Has
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2013, 5:15 am

Nick774 and Tyri0n, I can understand exactly what you are saying. The number of times I've tried to make what I thought was a hilarious sarcastic remark and been greeted by puzzled faces taking me dead seriously..... is too many to recall precisely. Once is too many times for me as it's one of my least favourite feelings. I guess it gets balanced out a bit when I say something that is meant to be serious and everyone laughs. Once I do know what a particular group of friends or a person finds funny I do try and act it out a bit, guess I'm still a sucker for the affirmation I feel when getting laughs from people. It can backfire though, like all social gestures, and I'm never sure where to balance being myself and remembering that people have social expectations of me.

Nick774
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
I have always had a good sense of humor but had trouble conveying it till I worked on getting more inflection in my voice. Now, I think I can make many people laugh. There's one girl I know who laughs like every time I say anything, even if it's not supposed to be funny. I think she herself might be socially ret*d. lol

Doesn't really lead to anything more though. It's helped on dates but that's about it.

How did you go about improving your vocal inflection?

Has wrote:
Nick774 and Tyri0n, I can understand exactly what you are saying. The number of times I've tried to make what I thought was a hilarious sarcastic remark and been greeted by puzzled faces taking me dead seriously..... is too many to recall precisely. Once is too many times for me as it's one of my least favourite feelings. I guess it gets balanced out a bit when I say something that is meant to be serious and everyone laughs. Once I do know what a particular group of friends or a person finds funny I do try and act it out a bit, guess I'm still a sucker for the affirmation I feel when getting laughs from people. It can backfire though, like all social gestures, and I'm never sure where to balance being myself and remembering that people have social expectations of me.

I totally know what you mean by that "puzzled face" look. The puzzled look itself is almost so frustratingly puzzling that it's funny. :D

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Nick774 wrote:

I like humor too. My problem is that most people don't "get" my sarcasm. Often times people think I'm dead serious, and sometimes this has actually offended people to the point that they brought it up with me afterwards.

My understanding is that this is caused by my deficits in my ability to convey appropriate tone and facial expressions.

when I'm serious, people think I'm funny and when I'm funny people think I'm dead serious. I can't win this.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:33 am

I know what you mean about being funny when you don't try. It means that you are random by what you say or what you do.

As for jokes, I used to be really bad myself until I discovered the world of puns which I am really really good at.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

31 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

Nick774 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

How did you go about improving your vocal inflection?

Has wrote:

I totally know what you mean by that "puzzled face" look. The puzzled look itself is almost so frustratingly puzzling that it's funny. :D

It's caused by flat affect. I realized that I learned to determine sarcasm and jokes by context, but NT's do it by facial expressions. I've started to be able to do this, too. I determined most social cues by context arrived at through trial and error for years until I realized that's not the way NT's do it.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

Nick774 wrote:

It never works 100% of the time, but I try to make eye contact and smile, or laugh if I've said a sarcastic joke really dry. Or say I'm kidding. But then I'll say "Im kidding" when people get the joke, and I wont say I'm kidding when people dont get the joke.

Ive made a joke out of making a previous bad joke, that works a lot of the time when you feel like you've put your foot in your mouth.

You just have to realize pretty quickly when you might have made a sarcastic comment or joke and it hasn't gone over.....

total over analysis of an issue......sometimes it better not to say anything lol better them think you're an idiot and keep your mouth closed than open it and confirm their belief lol