Does having certain hobbies make you look like an Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:17 pm

I play accordion. I'm afraid that makes me look like an Aspie, so I don't tell people I play. I've done the same with some other hobbies I've had in the past.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:18 pm

How does playing an instrument make you look like an aspie? Does that mean everyone in a rock band/orchestra/jazz band, etc. is an aspie? Definitely not! My step dad isn't an aspie and he plays the harmonica and the bass guitar. No one has ever assumed he was an aspie. Hope that makes you feel less concerned about your hobby.

I think the hobbies that would make people assume aspie is if you have some computer hobby or something since people think we are all computer geeks.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

I sing and play the flute and piccolo. Does this make me look like an Aspie, even though I am? And even if it did, who really cares? Be proud of who you are.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 4:29 pm

Playing accordion definitely does not make you look aspie. It shows you are creative, artistic and passionate. Aspies tend to always have a passion for something, while nt's sometimes have passions for nothing. I know which is better. Folk / old time / gypsy jazz etc are also all super fashionable right now.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:38 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
How does playing an instrument make you look like an aspie? Does that mean everyone in a rock band/orchestra/jazz band, etc. is an aspie? Definitely not! My step dad isn't an aspie and he plays the harmonica and the bass guitar. No one has ever assumed he was an aspie. Hope that makes you feel less concerned about your hobby.

I think the hobbies that would make people assume aspie is if you have some computer hobby or something since people think we are all computer geeks.

I don't think playing an instrument makes you look like an Aspie. I think playing accordion in particular makes me look like an Aspie because it's an odd instrument for a 17 year old girl to play and it looks like I'm stimming when I'm playing. I don't think playing harmonica or bass guitar has the same effect. I think playing guitar actually makes you look more NT. Too bad I hate playing guitar.

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2013, 7:18 am

Collecting items that are generally considered to be strange, mundane, or obsolete junk. For example, if a 30 something had a collection of over 100 video recorders or microwave ovens that he considered to be design classics then most middle of the road NT people would consider him a weirdo with possible AS traits.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

Playing accordion makes you cool and talented to anyone worth knowing.

Get yourself to some cajun or bluegrass jams, you will find people that dig this a lot. As a musical guy myself, who associates with other musicians. I know that all of us swoon for a girl who plays an instrument, especially an interesting one.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

I don't think playing an instrument makes you look like an Aspie. I think playing accordion in particular makes me look like an Aspie because it's an odd instrument for a 17 year old girl to play and it looks like I'm stimming when I'm playing. I don't think playing harmonica or bass guitar has the same effect. I think playing guitar actually makes you look more NT. Too bad I hate playing guitar.

Not an odd instrument at all. Very cool talent actually. And I see that you focused on one instrument that I said my dad plays. I would say his harmonica playing is a very unique instrument, like the accordion. He's played it since a little kid and only just started learning the bass guitar recently. I wouldn't worry about what your passions are though. No one ever assumes aspie because from what I found out, no one even seems to knows what Asperger's is.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 6:57 am

I come from the Land of Accordions, so here it isn't odd at all. My hobby and interest is turning and milling. Most of the turners I know of have very similar personality and behaviour to Autistics, but I don't know if that is just me picking up on something or if anyone else notices that they tend to be "weird." Same with Engineers.

krampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2014, 11:46 pm

Photography is seen as anti social and aspie.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:46 am

Drehmaschine wrote:
I come from the Land of Accordions, so here it isn't odd at all.

I live in Germany, too and I know that it is not an odd instrument here. Nevertheless I often thought playing the accordion is seen as an odd hobby for an 17 years old. (I play it myself for about 12 years and often heard that people find it odd.) But in my case this opinion often comes from the people´s impression of "typical accordion music" which they don´t believe is interesting for people my age. They just don´t know that it is possible to play a great variety of music on it.
But I also know people who just find it interesting because I am not just another person who plays the guitar or the piano what is more common.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

krampus wrote:
Photography is seen as anti social and aspie.

It can be, but it depends greatly on what your photographing. I don't think anyone could consider it anti-social if your photographing and posing models, but I suppose being at the end of a 300mm telephoto lens could be an issue.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 12:15 pm

What's seen as Aspie perhaps is the 'obsession' you have of such hobby.

For example, though I love Films and Filmmaking, it can't be seen as too much of an obsession, unless it was the be all and end all, or if my 'obsession' was as tangential (and perhaps, stereotypical) as trains.

thedeath
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

I have a good friend who plays the accordion and she's definitely not an Aspie! :D
It's a nice instrument, and you shouldn't worry about it.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:33 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I play accordion. I'm afraid that makes me look like an Aspie, so I don't tell people I play. I've done the same with some other hobbies I've had in the past.

Learn to play cajon music. ;)

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm

Good lord, who cares what other people think it looks like? Accept who you are and do what you like to do so long as it's neither illegal nor immoral. I have a 'crafty' hobby which probably looks nerdy to some. The people I like think it's cool; those who don't get it I don't care about.