Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

IsWas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

So I was working in my chosen area of interest, my passion, my lifelong special interest,
When I suddenly found myself being bullied/taken advantage of, not being understood, and generally suffering because of how I am. I can relate well with public and individuals, it is sometimes management that doesn't "get" me... This has caused me to leave that work and go back to the realm of work that I used to do.
If I could make my way working for myself in my special interest (say, as a business owner) I totally would, but that is not feasible. I do like my new job and really hope I (with recent diagnosis) don't screw it up. I want to better myself socially and cope better - really thrive in this new environment. But I am at heart a bit devastated about the special interest job dying.
I have a tiny flickering flame of hope that someday I could make that work somehow.

Anybody make their special interest work as a career/job? If so, what and how?
Have the challenges been most related to external or internal factors, and what?
Thanks for sharing stories/hope/even commiserating.

IsWas

17 Jan 2014, 11:33 pm

Oops moved to work forum

Billw1628

03 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

IsWas wrote:
So I was working in my chosen area of interest, my passion, my lifelong special interest,
When I suddenly found myself being bullied/taken advantage of, not being understood, and generally suffering because of how I am. I can relate well with public and individuals, it is sometimes management that doesn't "get" me... This has caused me to leave that work and go back to the realm of work that I used to do.
If I could make my way working for myself in my special interest (say, as a business owner) I totally would, but that is not feasible. I do like my new job and really hope I (with recent diagnosis) don't screw it up. I want to better myself socially and cope better - really thrive in this new environment. But I am at heart a bit devastated about the special interest job dying.
I have a tiny flickering flame of hope that someday I could make that work somehow.

Anybody make their special interest work as a career/job? If so, what and how?
Have the challenges been most related to external or internal factors, and what?
Thanks for sharing stories/hope/even commiserating.

I feel the same way right now with a couple things that are my interests, too. I am hoping that my latest attempt are also not turning out for naught.

Most of my factors are external- because I just dove into these things without being fully aware of what I am in for. I was very angry with myself because I should have done the research first before I formally said yes or no. First time, I seriously don't know about the demands, which are just not there! Second time, I had no idea that a 501c3 can take that long to process! Also, even when the 501c3 is done, it doesn't mean the nonprofit I work with are grant eligible.

I think finding a mentor or someone who can guide you along is very important. If you don't know something, ask at the right places. (I personally used LinkedIn for this.) Soon enough, you can figure out how you are going to put the things you need together or abandon ship because something is too hard.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2014, 2:57 am

Most successful idea I've seen is a "business" aspie and a <special interest here> aspie teaming up to make a really high quality company.
These two guys I know did that, and even though they get hardly any business, they're able to make things work financially for both of them because they're the best at their special interests.

I could do pretty much anything, but I can't keep myself on task if it's not my special interest area, or in a challenging environment, and I don't have anyone to keep me on task, so I don't do anything. Some day I will find someone to keep me on task, and I'll show the world what they are missing. One of my areas of interest is a concept "making things work."