Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Davius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2005, 1:09 pm

Alright, so there are these guys in my class. They act friendly to my face but I always hear them making fun of me and my various behaviourisms, like the way I talk (it seems I often talk in a higher pitched tone when I am asking a question or if I am asked to answer a question in class, maybe because it makes me a little nervous.) and because when one of them make jokes (the harmless ones that they'll tell to my face), I act ironic about it but they always think I am being serious and I don't get the joke, which is not the case.

They make fun of other people too, I just don't understand it. I think one of them is almost thirty. I didn't know that even adults can take so much pleasure in insulting people. Its just kind of confusing. After my first year of college, I thought it was a sure thing that people are more friendly than in high school. Then, when I came to Animation at the college I am attending now, I wind up being around these jerks. The whole situation has sort of rocked my beliefs on people. Its really only three of them, but they have other friends and they live in residence like me, so it just makes me feel uneasy.

Does anyone else feel the way I do?

How often in life am I going to have suffer being around man-children like these?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 1:30 pm

The bad news is that their will always be idiots around.

The good news is that they almost always fail. :lol:

Okay, that was mean but its the truth as I see it.

I have seen so many people like that over the years come and go. Sometimes they are even popular at the start but over time **adults** get tired of their immature games. They end up isolated and then either quit or are fired.

Their behavior is easier to tolerate at 45 years of age than when I was 25 simply because I know whats in store for them.

I'm sure that must be some work envirements that tolerate them but I don't have to work there. And I don't have to socialize with them.

People say the teen and young adult years are the best years of their life...but I disagree. With each passing year *I* get choices and am more comfortable.

I'm not sure that's helpful to you though.

BeeBee

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 1:46 pm

Davius wrote:
when one of them make jokes (the harmless ones that they'll tell to my face), I act ironic about it but they always think I am being serious and I don't get the joke, which is not the case.

when i was at school this used to happen to me a lot. but i am in two minds about whether they genuinely think i'm being serious of if they are pretending to think i'm being serious because they can't think of a witty come-back. if there are any NTs reading this could they please shed some light on which of the two it is most likely to be?

Davius wrote:
How often in life am I going to have suffer being around man-children like these?

unfortunately, it seems to be a myth that some people ever grow out of humiliating other people. i wish i had some advice to give you on this, davius, but i've grown to accept this as a fact of life and just to avoid these people when it is within my power to do so. perhaps speaking to your teachers about it will help?

Last edited by hecate on 17 Sep 2005, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 2:15 pm

Idiots are everywhere, and they're pretty easy to identify after a day or two. The best idea would be just to not hang out with those guys.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 7:23 pm

I know what you mean. But I don't really have any ways of dealing with it. :(

I usually just end up snubbing the people in question.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 3:06 pm

BeeBee wrote:
The bad news is that their will always be idiots around.

The good news is that they almost always fail. :lol:

I hear you. There will always be some stupid people whose only joy is to torment others. This does not change. Like Yupa said, you don't have to pay any attention to these people. If you don't like ignoring people, witty comebacks can make a very powerful defense (or an offense, depending on how you look at it).

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 3:35 pm

just ignore them. focus on something else. if they annoy you again, try to suggest that you're getting pissed, but don't act on it. it always works for me!

Comkeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2005, 1:37 am

I hate that too. I cant understand whether they're being like that just to joke around light-heartedly, or they are really mocking me. :( It still happens to me in college, but like at a 98% reduced rate. I hated High School.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 9:12 pm

Some people NEVER grow up. It's a fact of life. Some jerks I've known in high school are still jerks to this day, and I'm in my mid-forties now. Go figure.

When that sort pushes me far enough, I will say in front of all who are in hearing range: "Act your age, not your shoe size".

In very extreme cases, I say to the offender(s): "Sorry, I don't speak Bigot"

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 4:55 pm

iamlucille wrote:
just ignore them. focus on something else. if they annoy you again, try to suggest that you're getting pissed, but don't act on it. it always works for me!

A wise person once told me "Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often." How true is that advice! ;)

Davius

23 Sep 2005, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know its obvious just to ignore people like these, but I guess it still just gets to me occassionally.

Fortunately, I won't go into too much detail about it but I think everything is sorta actually working out with them.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 9:03 pm

It's good that it's starting to work out a little better. :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 9:17 pm

Namiko wrote:
A wise person once told me "Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often." How true is that advice! ;)
:lol:
I think I'm going to use that for a signature. :D

Vejita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2005, 7:35 pm

Unfortunately, there is only one language they understand usually, and I regret I have to say I confirmed it by experience: Violence. And I mean strong and humiliating violence. I always warned before acting, always, always tried to reach an agreement or so... if they were only picking on me, I would have done nothing... but the matter is that they were also picking on the other '"feebles'' of the group or class. So... I suppose if I describe in details what to do, it will be against the board rules anyway...

oh, and BTW, maybe you should warn your teachers, and tell them to do something about them, but make it public or it will be counter-productive...

its a little bit off topic, and just speculation, but... who knows if the Columbine kids were not Aspie ? they were definitly not NTs anyway...

Davius

25 Sep 2005, 8:44 pm

Don't worry, I think everything has sort of settled down between me and them. There won't be any need for violence.

Vejita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2005, 2:20 am

Glad to hear :)