Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WellThatsDantastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2014, 7:51 pm

Look at the person's nose for the duration of the conversation. They'll believe that you're making eye contact, when in reality, you're just staring at their nose!

Personfella
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2014, 8:03 pm

I'll try it!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 8:06 pm

Yes, I've read about this several times over a number of years. My problem is remembering to keep staring at the bridge of the person's nose. I don't suffer from discomfort when I use this method, so it does help, as long as I can remember to do it, and they can't tell that that is what you are doing, because the bridge of the nose is right up there with the eyes. :D

dilanger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2014, 8:40 pm

I usually look at their lips....I think they notice that.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 12:03 am

WellThatsDantastic wrote:
Look at the person's nose for the duration of the conversation.

I have tried this (looking at the nose). But, for some reason, when I do this, I lose focus (and stop listening).

For me, the best way to focus (on what the other person is saying), is to stare at the mouth. Of course, it could be, just because that is what I am accustomed to doing.

MewMewPower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2014, 11:55 am

I only make eye contact with people I know very well. also I don't want to fit in with the normals and their way of living.

Elanor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2014, 11:47 am

I keep trying tips like this but it's hard for me to even look at people's faces for fear I'll make accidental eye contact, which freaks me out. I tend to just look away from them and stare at objects in the room. Does anyone else have this problem?

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2014, 5:06 pm

I flick into eye contact for about a second, but generally when talking to someone I don't face them, so it would be awkward to have eye contact anyway. Ie, standing side by side, looking at something, even point out something that your looking at. Staring at something can suggest that you are giving thought to what they are saying, then flick into eye contact and back to what you are looking at.

I find if I look at the face, I loose track of what they're saying.