No 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Last and least 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Last and least 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 68

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 8:37 am

I was just wondering, when you people were in class, were you always the last to be chosen when it came to things like sports teams and things where kids pick their own groups?

I was, I don't know whether it was because I went unnoticed or everyone just thought I sucked. lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 10:58 am

The same thing would happen to me. I was one of those quiet Prudes who kept her nose burried in her books. I didn't really have much to say. I thought the real reason was that my Peers saw me as a Loser.

Ebi
Raven
Raven

14 May 2006, 11:29 am

How true. Almost equal to saying PE classes were hell incarnate - which I bet most aspies would agree with.

Actually, the less other kids determined me, the better... not only because I sucked at any sport, but because of the "team thing"...

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 12:07 pm

Being picked as the last to go in drama class is actually a good thing because it gives me more time to plan and rehearse my monologue.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 12:51 pm

Last to be picked for anything sporting, which I wasn't very good at, to be fair, but not picked in accord to my ability for more scholastic sets or teams, either.

"The Outsider" was very much my experience of school.
I have no plans to attend school reunions. "Friends reunited" has one intrinsic flaw, as far as I'm concerned.

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2006, 1:00 pm

In fourth and fifth grade,I was 0ne of only 2 members of third string in touch football.
At first I played half back, then they trained me to hold the ball on kickoffs.
The coach usually tried to get me in for one play though.

Junior high, I spent alot of baseball games in left field-and that was in gym, not a team.

Broke my arm playing battleball.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 1:27 pm

I would have to answer yes to that too. I think part of the issue though is that selecting peers is a sort of popularity hierarchy which not only includes how well you play but also how well your peers think you are doing in the social scene.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 1:49 pm

My ability at sports has been compared to a "dead monkey"

The thing that just really bothers me is that I get extremely dizzy when I do any kind of vigorous activity.

I can handle walking fine (I think I've walked about 15 miles in one day before, and walk around 4 miles on a continual basis).

But if I run, do pushups, or something like that, I start getting extremely dizzy and cannot concentrate for the rest of the day.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 4:11 pm

hale_bopp, were you *interested* in participating in these activities where you were chosen last ?

I have always enjoyed and been competent at *solo* sports and been doing one or the other regularly, so I am a physically active person. However I have always disliked *team* sports both to watch and to participate, so when forced to participate in team sports during school P.E. classes, I would always put in the absolute minimum effort, and would position myself where I thought the ball was unlikely to go.

The other kids knew very well that I was uninterested in participating and that I would make little or no effort, so yes, I too was chosen last or near-last for sports (along with a couple other unmotivated kids). I cannot blame them for it. Who would want a person on their team who is obviously uninterested in participating?

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 8:24 pm

I was almost always last to be picked, or almost the last. Now I never allow it with the kids I work with or the children's ministries I run at church.I pick the teams, one, two, one, two, one, two...ones over here, and twos over there. I know what it feels like to be the last one picked. I don't want anyone else to experience that. Never did fit in with school, and as far as sports went I was able to hold my own. It was a popularity thing at my school.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 11:31 pm

I was always picked last, and this is when I was gigantic compared to the others. I had to have been a foot taller then anyone else.

Not only that, but I was pretty strong too. During a Rugby practice (yeah, I don't know why I was on a sports team either. I had pretty negative opinions about team sports back then too) I was literally dragging 5 people behind me.

Bothered me more then a little.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 12:59 am

I was often times picked off which never maked sense to me as I was one of the better athletes in school (in elementy school one year I was the 3rd fastest kid in school of about 1000.) Though generally the people that were actually good athletes who wanted to win would pick me second or third :-D.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

15 May 2006, 4:06 am

I was always picked last. I remember being picked after all the Down Syndrome kids for kickball in gym class, despite the fact that most of them couldn't really play. :/ Once the kids actually got into a yelling argument about who had to have me on their team, and the teacher thought this was hilarious.

I was in dance at that point, so I was in pretty good shape, and I liked games...I wasn't even particularly bad at most of them, so I'm not sure what the problem was. I assume it was a popularity thing, and since I take to popularity contests like a fish to asphalt, that wasn't going to help me any. I prefer solo athletic pursuits, at any rate. *shrug*

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 7:51 am

I remember that when we were told to partner up in school and there happened to be an odd number of people, I ended up partnering the teacher. And if there was an even number of people, the last person would kick up a fuss, saying they didn't want to be my partner. This happened so often, I got used to it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 7:57 am

emp wrote:
hale_bopp, were you *interested* in participating in these activities where you were chosen last ?

I have always enjoyed and been competent at *solo* sports and been doing one or the other regularly, so I am a physically active person. However I have always disliked *team* sports both to watch and to participate, so when forced to participate in team sports during school P.E. classes, I would always put in the absolute minimum effort, and would position myself where I thought the ball was unlikely to go.

The other kids knew very well that I was uninterested in participating and that I would make little or no effort, so yes, I too was chosen last or near-last for sports (along with a couple other unmotivated kids). I cannot blame them for it. Who would want a person on their team who is obviously uninterested in participating?

Sometimes. But a lot of the time interest doesn't come into it, like people picking people to come in their car for school trips. I just hated the embarassment of sitting there alone last, until the teacher put me into someones group.

I agree Paula, it's much nicer on the children not to show them how unpopular they are. It's just creul. I hhated primary school.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 9:55 am

Whenever my class would break up into groups, I was always completely lost while everyone else was pairing up. I like to think it was because my outgoing, gregarious personality intimidated them.

Seriously, though, I somehow managed to avoid that kind of thing in sports activities. Because I am so small (I have also been diagnosed with CHARGE syndrome) the gym teachers always took pity on me and allowed me certain advantages.