Girls often take their headphones out of their ears when

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mr. Powers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm

Girls often take their headphones out of their ears when walking towards me and I wonder why.

The last time was today and I realized it has happened multiple times - and I have no definite idea why.

These are girls I have never seen before and never interacted with and it's during broad daylight hours (I'm walking towards one end of the street and the girls are walking towards the other - so we are going to pass by each other). Catcalling isn't done here and I've never seen a guy "picking up" a girl in the daytime, so I kinda wonder why the heck they would be expecting that

...and yepp, that's about the only idea I have - that they want me to stop them and initiate a conversation. Now, I'm very much an introvert and would have absolutely no idea what to say, unless if I were to repeat what girls have used on me to initiate conversation but that has always been in my college environment.

I would have asked this on an "nt" relationships/dating forums if I knew I wouldn't get the standard replies from nt-girls: "oh, it means nothing at all. You are reading way too much into it", like I've gotten when I've asked why so many girls very frequently flick their hair when passing by me.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

They probably must like the way you look.

I've never had it happen, at all.

Mr. Powers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

Thanks for replying.

I have no idea what they expect of me. I wouldn't even know what to say (so if any girls out there would like to chime in, feel free to do so)

As for looks - I think I'm pretty average looking. The only comparison to a celebrity I've had was a few months ago, when I was compared to Zach Galifianakis ...frankly, it surprised me at the time, especially since I didn't have a beard and still don't (and never will), but if you take the beard away, let the hair be straight, shorter and combed back and trim his bushy eyebrows somewhat - then I can see the resemblance.

In retrospect I should have perhaps asked if girls liked the look of him ...but heck, with my luck I probably wouldn't either get a girls opinion.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 7:52 am

Do these girls look at you before taking out their headphones? I don't necessarily mean they make eye contact but that it is clear that they specifically noticed that you were there. Or do they seem to be taking out their headphones "coincidentally", if they were looking down or in another direction when they did so, indicating they were already planning to take out their headphones and you just happened to be nearby.

If they notice you are there and THEN take out the headphones, they are probably expecting you too say hi. If you'd like to talk to them, just smile and say hi. They might take over the conversation from there. If they're just being friendly, they'd probably just smile and say hi back w/o stopping. But if they are interested in talking, they may stop and chat. If they are taking out their headphones on purpose in a hope of talking to you, they might already know something to say to get a conversation started. Just smile and say hi.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 2:43 pm

I'm a girl, I often take my earphones out If I'm crossing the road do I can listen if I can hear a car coming and not be distracted by the music.

Also if I think someone is about to talk to me or I'm about to talk to someone.

Or if a person I'm walking towards looks threatening. I take my earphones out so I can hear my surroundings.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Mr. Powers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the input.

Well, I hope I don't look threatening. Assuming it's a guy that you would like to talk to you; what would your preference be regarding the first words he says to you?

The only thing I can think of to say would be "Hey sorry, but weren't we together in math in the University of [I]?" which is only because that line has been used twice on me and neither times I had any recollection if they had been in the same math class as me; but I'm extremely uneasy at beginning a conversation with a lie.

Also, so I won't have to start another thread - why would many girls flick/toss their hair when they are walking by me in a college environment when I'm sitting down and studying? I actually once asked this question on another website and pretty much got "Oh no, you are misunderstanding. They are just nervous", which I don't really understand why because nobody has any reason to be nervous of me (none of those who replied know anything about how I look).

And besides, I always try to be seated as far away from others as I possibly can and most of the time I can sit in the same spot or as much near it as possible and where I'm sitting almost most of the time is an area where nobody has to walk past me.

I'm very much introverted and thus don't talk to anyone (yepp, a lonely life that I find hard to break-out of). I hardly think it's my looks as Zach Galifianakis doesn't have any groupies, I think - unlike many other male actors - I'm still surprised that Ryan Gosling has girls fawning over him :twisted: :)

Can being a "lone wolf" be attractive to girls?????? 8O ...because it's sure as heck not the looks they are going for

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 5:09 pm

Hmm I'm not sure what you could say to a girl. I don't usually make small talk and I tend to only approach someone if I have a question. A good thing would be to ask them a question about class, also smile if you can when you ask and raise your eyebrows lol.
It's difficult to explain. I suppose you could say that. Just keep on practicing and find out what works and what doesn't. You will probably make some social mistakes but it's ok because slowly even us on the spectrum can pick it up, it just takes longer.

A lot of girls flick their hair out of habit more than anything, I sometimes do that if I'm thinking. Sometimes it's said that if a girl flicks their hair it's flirting but it's about 95% untrue, so best to assume it's a habit. :)

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.