considering making an illustrated guide to facial emotions

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2015, 5:46 am

I score above average on those tests on recognition of facial emotions. I'm also an artist and I love drawing faces. If anyone thinks that an illustrated guide to facial emotions would be useful please let me know. I have some ideas for how I would make it but if there are particular issues that anyone would like me to address please give comments.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 11:04 pm

Wow! I think that is an excellent excellent excellent idea! I know thiscould potentially be a huge success.

Some things that I know should be included include:

1) common facial expressions when people are joking or not being serious

2) when someone is bored or not interested

3) I think you should show comparisons to common similar emotions like sad vs worried....mad vs impatient....tired vs bored....happy vs excited.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

domanite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2015, 2:56 pm

That's a cool idea! I wonder if it would be better using a dynamic medium, like YouTube? Expressions aren't generally just static. (Sorry, I know that steps on your "I'm an artist" line - feel free to ignore me. :))

1544c
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2015, 10:10 pm

If you want to see tons of different facial expressions you should watch tons of videos(shows, cartoons,etc.), you might understand it better by watching their expressions in different situations and you'll have a better idea on how to draw any kind of facial emotions.

chapstan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2015, 11:37 am

There was a TV show called "Lie to Me" that featured a guy who could better identify feelings through micro-expressions. It would frequently flash through pictures of different facial expressions and the associated feelings.

Richard Cole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

Charles Darwin wrote the still-authoritative treatise on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Expression-Emotio ... xpressions

Edit: That is not meant to be discouraging, I provide that more as a reference as I have found that book very helpful for me. I would strongly encourage and support your endeavor.