How Can I Act Less Apathetic and Indifferent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2019, 10:21 pm

How can I act less indifferent and apathetic? I don't like being a debbie downer of any situation.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jan 2019, 10:33 pm

What do you enjoy doing or talking about?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2019, 11:08 pm

I don't know. I like to be on social media a lot.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm

Definitely delete that. Social media is just capitalizing on your insistence towards everyone's privacy, among many other things.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2019, 11:59 pm

The only social media websites I have been on so far are YouTube and Wrongplanet. I deleted my Reddit account a while back. I still have an EosHd account, but those guys are leagues above me in being smart.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 12:03 am

Oh, my apologies, I see that & automatically presume everyone has defaulted to Facebook / Snapchat / Twitter / Instagram. Don't sweat the actual media, it's the fake "social" crap I'm more concerned about.

WP is the best kind of Facebook. :jester: We actually talk about how to get along on here.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2019, 12:05 am

I gave up Facebook years ago.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2019, 12:10 am

There's something for everyone here on WP with its wide range of forums.

You surely have one or more interests that you like to chat about and should find like minded folk here.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

Zack1994 wrote:
How can I act less indifferent and apathetic? I don't like being a debbie downer of any situation.

It all depends why you act this way.

Indifference and apathy can be a symptom of ASD

Quote:
Is apathy a symptom of an ASD?

“Apathy may be a symptom of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. If somebody has a different world view and experience to the majority of people (neurotypical people) around them, it means they are unlikely to share the same values and desires and have the same motivations. It does not mean that a person is necessarily lacking emotions, but rather that they may feel differently about things and may feel apathetic about the things that stir emotion in most other people.”

“A lot of problems are caused socially, that come from being apathetic about situations that create strong emotions in others. This means that building relationships with others is very, very difficult. I naturally do not feel much emotion in situations where others do or, even if I do have an emotion, I do not naturally want to express it. I prefer to keep a detached, calm persona at all times when I am in public”

“Sometimes apathy is the perceived response, but the underlying and real feelings are actually very strong. I feel that sometimes I may be perceived as apathetic, when really the emotion I am feeling is so overwhelming that I’ve had to detach from it. Also, for people on the spectrum, emotions often don’t occur in real time – it can take time for something to sink in and cause an emotion. Another thing to think about is that a person may feel an emotion but not know what to do with it – not know how to communicate it, express it, get over it… etc. All these things can make a person appear to be apathetic, when they’re actually not.”

“The main reason apathy occurs is because the nature of autism is to have a ‘different world experience.’ Apathy may therefore be a symptom (felt by the person) and a sign (observed by others) of an ASD. It should perhaps not be taken as a sign of rudeness, but rather as a different way of being. Being different is just being different!”

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 7:25 am

Spend more time learning about stuff you find interesting.

Follow a local sports teams if you intend to socialize with guys that do that. You don't have to watch the games. Just reading a game summary and watching a 30 second video may be enough.

These days, you can also find online summaries of TV shows as well.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

First of all, should you act "less apathetic"?

Answer:. Depends on your goal. If you want to fit in , yes

If you want to "be true to yourself", no

:heart:

Plenty of precious lil "people" act way too dramatic. She told me "and you didn't seem to care", as though just because I did not express a constant rollercoaster of emotions (like her) meant I did not "care"

Stoic could be good or bad

Bedazzled Blue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2019, 11:05 pm

I have trouble feeling emotion too and usually listening to music helps me or playing an instrument if you're interested in that I suppose...music works all parts of the brain and it usually invokes some sort of emotion even though it may be temporary but it works. Doing things that you are interested in or that you enjoy definitely helps or even reading a book.

jonesthecat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2019, 6:36 am

I have become sick and tired of hearing the exact same criticism of myself repeated by others. I am told I imply i am being too serious and am unapproachable, that I seem foreign in some way and from a different country, that I talk in a way that implies i am dismissive of other peopels ideas or I say things out of sequence. I know i dont make eye contact all the time, and I often find it difficult to speak up to some others, but im really am fed up with being ignored and overlooked.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2019, 7:27 am

Zack1994 wrote:

The big question is why do you feel apathetic and are you feeling that whatever and whoever you talk to? You can force yourself to smile sometimes when you talk and that will often work just fine, but it´s fake and I don´t like either to give fake smiles, even if I have to do it. Otherwise I simply look too down/sad all the time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 9:29 am

It helps to have a more positive attitude about things. Try to be more accepting about what other people enjoy.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 1:00 pm

Motivation is a product of dopamine, a brain chemical. When you disengage with society, you fail to stimulate all 5 senses in a way that humans have enjoyed for about 300,000 years. My suggestion is to have more fun in a real way, turn off the screen and engage with something real, even if it's just nature. Natural production of dopamine should increase.