Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2019, 7:59 am

... and accept a friend request on an online forum. Any tips on what to do after accepting it?
Should I write a pm and if yes - what should this pm contain?
The person seems nice so I don't wanna be rude.

Probably gonna update with more questions because I'm a wreck and imma wreck this as well without help, haha.

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2019, 8:24 am

What does being a friend on that forum involve? Can you only send pm's if you're friends or something like that?

Anyway, it seems harmless to me. If he/she requested the friendship, I'd say it's up to him/her to send you a message.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2019, 8:27 am

Synic wrote:
What does being a friend on that forum involve? Can you only send pm's if you're friends or something like that?

Anyway, it seems harmless to me. If he/she requested the friendship, I'd say it's up to him/her to send you a message.

You can send a pm to pretty much everyone if the option is not disabled.

Oh, that's good. I'll... I'll try it out and see how it works out. Thanks for your reply!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2019, 11:05 am

From time to time, someone I first encountered on a forum (example: genealogy or photography group) wants to friend me on Facebook.

I have to tell them, as gently as possible, "Sorry, I don't do friends. My Facebook is for immediate family and for groups only, and even most of them, I unfollow." I have held my Facebook friends tally to the mid-thirties for several years now.

The problem with having "friends" online is that they may have expectations of you. They may be insulted if they "like" your stuff and you don't "like" theirs. If they DM you, they think you're going to respond. Etc.

I'm not online for any drama and I just don't want to go there.

For yourself, make your own decisions about "friending" but it's entirely acceptable to just decline the friend request in the first place, citing a personal preference.