How to deal with neighsayers on social media

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 12:00 pm

Hi:
As we know, people can get downright nasty on social media if they don't agree with your views and you can't even set boundaries with them. What's a way to let others know they can't talk however they want?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 12:10 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
How to deal with neighsayers on social media.
Give them feedbags full of oats, brush them down, get the burrs out of their manes and tails, and then turn them out to the paddock.
Summer_Twilight wrote:
What's a way to let others know they can't talk however they want?
First, you determine what the rights to free press and free speech shall cover.  Then you set up rules against everything else.

Now, if you're talking about restricting profanity, personal attacks & insults, fake news, slander & libel, and bigotry (i.e., racism, sexism, et cetera), then I'm all for it.

But if you're talking about restricting dissenting opinions and the debunking of false beliefs, then I'm against it.

And certainly, if you want to prohibit any discussion against narrowly-defined and exclusionary ideologies (i.e, conspiracy theories, political dogmas, religious doctrines, superstitious nonsense, et cetera), then I will fight you "tooth-and-nail" (figuratively speaking, of course).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 3:56 pm

Either you restrict your social media to respectful people (use block/hide/ignore/features or private groups/forums) or you find another venue for socializing (probably offline).

Social media is based on a culture of assholism and stupidity and you are not going to be able to change that. People follow the culture. If you are interacting with people you actually know, they should listen to you however. If not...maybe they aren't your friends.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 7:31 pm

Just being pedantic, but the word is naysayer.

A neighsayer would just a weird way to describe a horse. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 11:12 am

Right

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 11:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Just being pedantic, but the word is naysayer.  A neighsayer would just a weird way to describe a horse.

:wtg:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Right

Well, what do horses say?

I'll be here all week, please don't forget to tip your waiter.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 3:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Right
Well, what do horses say?  I'll be here all week, please don't forget to tip your waiter.
In that case, whinny you gonna be funny?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 3:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Right
Well, what do horses say?  I'll be here all week, please don't forget to tip your waiter.

Stop! I canter bide these puns!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 3:45 pm

Karamazov wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Right

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 3:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Right

:lmao:

We’d better trot along now, don’t want to look foal-ish.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 7:52 pm

You guys are funny, I am thinking of the next time I set a "Neighayer" on YouTube, I should find some videos of horses.

I could also use this lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OdVYnnp0Uw

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 8:09 pm

Send those neighsayers to the glue factory.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 8:12 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:

It's still preferable to A Flock of Seagulls.

:|

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 9:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

It's still preferable to A Flock of Seagulls.

:|

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 5:55 am

Let's get back on topic...

I hate it on Facebook when people write sarcastic messages making you feel stupid. I have had strangers do this and it humiliates me but I don't really want to cause an argument, as that's probably what they want.

Like a couple of weeks ago I saw a video on Facebook of a policeman telling a guy off for being outside in his own private backyard with his children, which I think is wrong because even the NHS says you are entitled to go out into your own garden. It surprised me to see that most people in the comments were actually on the policeman's side, so I commented saying "how are they going to catch it or spread it being in their own backyard?" and then some prick replied, "it's airborne", and then someone else reacted to his reply with a laughing face. I could tell that they were both thinking how stupid I was to ask that, and I KNOW it's airborne but in their backyard they were at least 20-30 feet away from the public and they weren't doing any harm. So I just didn't see how the policeman had the right to tell them what to do on their own premises and I was more baffled about most the people in the comments were on the policeman's side.