Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HannahCapps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2005, 2:44 am

ok, so some of you are shy, well same here, stop blocking me just becaues I say hi, ok, it makes me feel sh***y about myself like I"ve done somthing wrong, get over your Goddamn selfs long enough to say hi back or I don't want to talk right now. ok, thanks.... :x

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 7:21 am

That's quite reactive and immature. If you feel like people are obligated to talk to you just because you happen to find out their messenger name, you are sadly mistaken. And posting something like this certainly doesn't make ME want to talk to you over AIM.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2005, 12:30 pm

Howdy Hannah, How are you?

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 1:19 pm

Serissa wrote:
That's quite reactive and immature. If you feel like people are obligated to talk to you just because you happen to find out their messenger name, you are sadly mistaken. And posting something like this certainly doesn't make ME want to talk to you over AIM.

Yeah, well I think it's reactive and immature to shut people out just because you don't "like" them. I mean, of course you're not obligated to talk to me, but jeez, can't you show some courtesy? And if you're really so sure that you don't want to talk to me, then at least tell me (preferably with an explanation why) instead of being all sneaky about it.

I don't see why people have to be so fussy about who they talk to, but I guess it's their prerogative. Nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned casual conversation if you ask me. I only block people if they make a point to make me angry or uncomfortable, or if they just seriously lack manners.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 2:14 pm

How would you feel if some stanger on the street just walked up to you while you were in the middle of something and started talking to you? I would likely consider it an affront. Good old-fashioned conversation is not randomly sending a message to someone randomly and expecting them to want to talk to you. If they don't want to talk to you, they're probably on there to talk to other people that they KNOW. If someone posts their AIM address, this does not obligate them to do ANYTHING. I think it's perfectably acceptable to just block someone who IMs you randomly, out of the blue. An explanation takes effort, and (I know this from experience) if you give some people an inch on AIM they will take a mile. Ex.

Me:"I'm busy."
Person I have never spoken to before in my life:"Oh."
Person:"What're you doing?"
Person:"Can I help?"
Person:"And what does your SN mean?"
Person:"And BTW I think your profile is cool lolz."
Me: -Blocks-

I'm totally within my rights if I do that. In fact, I took my hotmail email address down from my listed web site because somebody (I never even figure out who) from this site did just that and would NOT take a hint. I was not on there to talk to them. I did not want to talk to them. I have no obligation to talk to anyone on any messenger, ever.

People randomly IMing me is, to me, about as annoying as getting telemarketing phone calls. Blocking peolpe is the equivalent of putting myself on a do-not-call list. Whoever blocked you, if you don't know them and did not have any previus conversation with them, I do not think they did anyting wrong.

Did you even bother to say, by the way, that you were from WP, or did you just say "hi" and allow them to assume that you were someone who wanted to hit on them or something?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 3:07 pm

Honestly, I believe that, and I have heard that.

HannahCapps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2005, 3:57 pm

Serissa wrote:

I've been burned so many times in the past, sorry if I came across as being an ass, if you don't want to talk just say so... :wink:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 4:14 pm

If you don't want people from WrongPlanet.net randomly IMing you, don't put your screen name down in your profile. Its being listed implies you are open to having conversations initiated through that method.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 4:26 pm

As someone who regularly slips into fear-induced meltdown at the prospect of having to tell someone "I'm busy and I can't talk", I'd like to say on behalf of all others with a similar problem, Get the he** out of my space and quit thinking it's rude when we desire not to have the energy sucked out of us via a conversation. It's not about courtesy and it's not a personal insult. It's simply self-defense.

That said, since people have different standards of expected courtesy and it's infeasible to expect everyone to conform to you own (whether you like it or not, you will get messaged) the simple solution really is just to not list your contact info. Or just keep yourself on "invisible" status all the time.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 4:47 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
If you don't want people from WrongPlanet.net randomly IMing you, don't put your screen name down in your profile. Its being listed implies you are open to having conversations initiated through that method.

That's what I do, and,

pyraxis wrote:
That said, since people have different standards of expected courtesy and it's infeasible to expect everyone to conform to you own (whether you like it or not, you will get messaged) the simple solution really is just to not list your contact info. Or just keep yourself on "invisible" status all the time.

I'm on invisible as often as I can be, depending on what allows communication (you can only be "away" on MSN).

:P God I'm antisocial. (And yes, I mean antisocial, not asocial.)

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 4:51 pm

Serissa wrote:
I'm on invisible as often as I can be, depending on what allows communication (you can only be "away" on MSN).

On my version of MSN, you can be invisible so long as you're not trying to hold another conversation at the same time, because it closes all conversation windows.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:45 pm

Serissa wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

That's what I do, and,

So this is no longer a problem for you then now that you've removed your contact info, right?

Serissa wrote:
pyraxis wrote:

In my opinion, being invisible is tantamount to being offline. Why sign on if you don't want anyone to talk to you?
Serissa wrote:
:P God I'm antisocial. (And yes, I mean antisocial, not asocial.)

So you mean to say you're a psychopath? 8O Remember antisocial personality disorder = psychopathy.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 5:56 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In my opinion, being invisible is tantamount to being offline. Why sign on if you don't want anyone to talk to you?
So you mean to say you're a psychopath? 8O Remember antisocial personality disorder = psychopathy.

To the first: You can still talk to people on AIM if you're invisible, but they can't tell if you're online, and hence do not randomly pester you.

To the second: Yes, and I really did mean to add "personality disorder" to the word "antisocial."

pyraxis wrote:
Serissa wrote:

On my version of MSN, you can be invisible so long as you're not trying to hold another conversation at the same time, because it closes all conversation windows.

Exactly, thus, it disallows communication.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:30 pm

Serissa wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

To the second: Yes, and I really did mean to add "personality disorder" to the word "antisocial."

I don't see what's so antisocial about this. Where's the cruelty, the manipulation, the impulsive aggressiveness?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:33 pm

I'm just not usually in the mood to talk.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I don't see what's so antisocial about this. Where's the cruelty, the manipulation, the impulsive aggressiveness?

AWWWWW. YOU'RE SO NICE!! ! ((And here I thought I was coming off as an utter jerk.)) Well, I probably just did, that time.