Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:58 am

http://www.xprimnt.com/2007/07/02/why-i-hate-facebook/

I support every anti-facebook movement.

MaterialDefender
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2008, 12:48 pm

I have had people try and force me to sign up on facebook, but I refused. I even had someone try and set up a account in my name in an effort to get me to use it, but I still stuck to my principles :lol:

Even if I did set up a account, I probably wouldn't use it much. I have never been into the social networking thing online(or even offline) and from what I have seen with Crackbook, my interest is getting less and less.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2008, 1:33 pm

I do not and will not ever have a Facebook or a Myspace.

I read all of the comments on that article and they summed up how I feel perfectly.

I don't want every person who learns my name, every job interviewer, every potential date, or even all of the people in my past to have an easily accessible page where they can find out every single thing about me. I have nothing to hide, but I value privacy and a certain degree of anonymity in a world that gets smaller by the moment. All of the morons who love Facebook are creating a world where people will be forced to live in a see through bubble where anyone from your mother to your employer to your ex-boyfriend from high school can find out where you live, what you do for a living, who you are dating, your religious and political affiliation, what you look like today, what you drive, and what you like to do, as well as each and every "bad day" you have or every mistake you make.

Don't even get me started on the now-standard practice of job interviewers of Googling your name and checking your Facebook profile for photos of you plastered and making out with another chick at some party.

People who willingly give up 100% of their privacy scare the crap out of me.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2008, 2:43 pm

It is possible to make your facebook site private, so that only those people you add as friends can see it. I also don't like the idea of complete strangers/potential employers/people who dislike me finding out all about me.

I find that lots of people who wouldn't e-mail are willing to write a quick facebook message. So I occasionally get contact from people who I probably would never have heard from again. Maybe that's not necessarily a good thing but I like getting messages.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 3:02 pm

I don't see what's so bad about facebook. My mum's a member and she has a fab time - mainly playing games agaisnt facebook friends she knows already. In ways I am almost perfectly sure it is safer than WrongPlanet in a lot of areas. On Wrongplanet loads of people are using foul langauge for no reason - and NO STARS!

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 2:05 am

I'm gonna join one of the sites in this article :lol: :lol:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/04/70557

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 3:10 pm

I don't mind facebook- some of the applications are a bit nosey ('what blood type are you?' - wtf??! !), but you don't have to put anything on the page you don't want to, and as someone's already said, the page can be made private.

plus.... you get to throw sheep at people

:D

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm

kitschinator wrote:
I do not and will not ever have a Facebook or a Myspace.

I read all of the comments on that article and they summed up how I feel perfectly.

I don't want every person who learns my name, every job interviewer, every potential date, or even all of the people in my past to have an easily accessible page where they can find out every single thing about me. I have nothing to hide, but I value privacy and a certain degree of anonymity in a world that gets smaller by the moment. All of the morons who love Facebook are creating a world where people will be forced to live in a see through bubble where anyone from your mother to your employer to your ex-boyfriend from high school can find out where you live, what you do for a living, who you are dating, your religious and political affiliation, what you look like today, what you drive, and what you like to do, as well as each and every "bad day" you have or every mistake you make.

Don't even get me started on the now-standard practice of job interviewers of Googling your name and checking your Facebook profile for photos of you plastered and making out with another chick at some party.

People who willingly give up 100% of their privacy scare the crap out of me.

Well, you can decide what you want to write on your profile. Just because it has a field for your phone number and address, doesn't mean you have to fill them out. You could just make a couple of cryptic comments in your about me section, list a few favourite bands, choose a random lolcat as your profile picture and use it to message people.

Or, as has been previously mentioned, you could make it private.

I like facebook because it allows me to communicate with my friends without the horror of using a mobile phone.

Don't really understand why people comment rather than message though. Why would you want everyone else on your friends list to read your conversations?

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 6:11 pm

I have both a facebook and a myspace. Both are private.

On myspace, I post random pics and "friend" my favorite bands, etc. It's just a sampling of me. I've found a lot of old friends that I'd otherwise never have met up with again. (!) And it allows me the ease of msging any of them without having to bring up my email and find their address. Plus, I get to see their pictures. I hated the days when everyone had their own crappily put together website or nothing at all; this is definitely an improvement. Plus, if people are stupid enough to list things under their real name they're easy to find. Not so with email, which is very random.

My facebook reflects me on a more personal level, however. It's more of a playground. If I wanna express myself I go there. Well, to my journal first, then to my facebook. I have more pictures on my facebook because it's buttoned up tighter... I know that random band members on my friends list and the "kid who lived down the street when I was little" are not browsing through pix I'd only allow my best friend/closer friends to look at. my friends list is smaller on facebook.

I dunno. I don't see any real harm in it. Like everything else on the web, caution and forethought is required. Don't post stupid drunk pictures of yourself making out with another chick if you don't want the world to see them. Duh. :roll:

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 12:27 am

Im not completely against facebook and I do have one, my thing is that facebook is really superficial in terms of social network. I agree in terms of the friend thing, not all your friends on facebook are actually friends infact maybe only a small percentage are. This girl in my school was trying to campain for something so she put up a poster of her and one of things on it was that she had 400 something friends, I was thinking what on facebook, yeah right. Is it possible to have over 400 friends?

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 12:10 am

My friend set up a MySpace for me. It doesnt sound as intrusive as Facebook.

I only use it as a place to display my artwork to people to network with. I think I have less than 20 "friends" and theyre all art organizations. For me its just a place to keep images for reference that i collect off the internet untill I need to print them out.

I have had a couple of women "chat me up " over the line but it doesnt go anywhere when they see I'm only interested in networking for art.

I usually stay here though. Having similar personalities is more interesting to me than having similar intrests. If I say I hate it when people misunderstand me we can have a conversation here about it.
If I say I like Norman Rockwells art, and another person says so do I where do you go from there?

But i am going to go and make it more private now. 8)

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 5:38 am

My mum is rather irritated concerning facebook because Scrabulous is leaving. She doesn't usually look at the comment wall because she just wants people she knows to send her e-mails. I have a bebo account and one of the people I have as a friend is on here! :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 9:41 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I support every anti-facebook movement.

For once, we are in complete agreement.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 7:21 am

Facebook is appalling and should not be conceded to.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 1:54 pm

I'm on facebook. I was against it for a long time, but I eventually just went on. I still hate a lot about it, the only thing I like it that people who wouldn't take the time to send me a whole e-mail will send me little messages. Also it seems so weird how so many people have 200, 300, 400, or more friends. It boggles my mind. I have 50 or so friends and a lot of them are people from elementary who I haven't seen in 10 years, or they are fighters I like who I added. Also, I only put up one pic of myself. I bought a really nice digital camera, but I don't have a lot of situations to take photos. Most people take photos of themselves at bars and parties, which I do not do. I don't understand why it is such a big deal to people (women in particular) to take pictures of yourself drinking with your friends to put on the internet.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2008, 2:01 pm

The reason some social networking sites ask bloodtype. That reason some human belive bloodtypes will tell how you are as a person. Sort like asking some one their sign gemi viro etc. Very unreal but that is why.