Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 6:15 pm

I know that a group who usually eats together passes food when they want more. I find this juvenile. I think people should have the right to get whatever food they desire at any meal. Does anyone else feel the same way?

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 3:27 pm

I don't understand the phrase "Passes food". It sounds like something you do after the consuming of the meal when it has been digested :)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 3:50 pm

I mean passing food before it gets eaten. I think you should be able to handle your own food before eating it. I know what you mean with your other point. You thought your food should be passed when it becomes something else, you are finished with the food, and I won't even go there.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 7:49 pm

I still don't understand the term. Do you mean passing the vessel holding the food upon request or in a circle in turn? Or do you mean offering the last piece of pizza round when you really really want it?

When I eat in this kind of scenario I get what I want when I want it. This is the done thing. In my social group passing food is only done by request. The host normally makes all dishes accessible by all, if not then you can request someone to pass you what you want more of. There is ALWAYS more than you want to eat. I don't eat in groups often. In a family scenario it is often the amount you want is already predetermined by habit so you get your food already on your plate. If you have a certain pallette (taste) then it is up to the host to ask and provide for this but it is also the onus of the guest to suggest any requirements too.

In a formal situation the host or the hosts help offers the food initially and you ask for what you want.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 2:48 pm

Yes, that's what I mean. Does it have anything to do with politeness?

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 3:11 pm

I think this is mostly when one can't physically reach the food they desire without the serious possibility of creating a mess. Therefore, someone sitting closer to the food passes it to you.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 3:13 pm

I really think it has to do with manners.