Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2008, 9:20 pm

My new roomy's name is Robert, and that's about all I know about him :-p
I'm probably going to call him in the first week of August, but I have a two-part question:
What should we talk about, other than who brings what, etc, and how long should I give him before he calls me back (IE, a week, a day, etc.) before I call him again? I don't want to come off as creepy...

kip
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 9:57 pm

Tell him you wanna maybe go out and get lunch or something to get to know each other better. A friendly basis will make the roomie situation much, MUCH easier to handle.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 10:20 am

I take it you're starting college and just received rooming assignments?

Here's what NOT to do: send him a copy of a Roger Fisher's Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In and call a week later to chat about working out a meta-level way of resolving inevitable conflict.

Don't ask me how I know this isn't a good idea.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 10:31 am

Oh, sorry, to answer your Qs:

Topics
~sleep patterns
~music
~pet peeves, top likes in shared living space

Call-back
~when you leave message, leave your e-mail address as well as your phone number
~if he doesn't return call, don't call him again. Maybe call a few days before school starts, be breezy about it, just checking in to see whether he wants to compare notes on who brings what.

In my case, there was no discussion necessary, b/c roomie's MOTHER stayed w/ us for a week to decide everything and go shopping with us to decide what we bought, who was to pay for what etc. She had guys from downstairs move my couch, decided one desk be used for household items and we share the other one, insisted we keep both beds in one room and so on.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2008, 9:08 pm

No_YOU_get_over_it wrote:
I take it you're starting college and just received rooming assignments?

Here's what NOT to do: send him a copy of a Roger Fisher's Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In and call a week later to chat about working out a meta-level way of resolving inevitable conflict.

Don't ask me how I know this isn't a good idea.

Well, sort of. I have a roomy that I don't know because I had to get one for this year (I'm pretty isolated), and didn't know anyone, so I took the first person who would be available.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2008, 4:45 pm

THanks guys for all your help! I called him yesterday and we talked. He seems really nice! :D I asked him to go to the pizzeria across the street so I could get to know him better, and he agreed! :D