Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2008, 1:47 pm

Hey all Zane here,

I watched the new Jim Carrey flick yesturday night and this morning it got me thinking...

For those who do not know it is about a man who can only say yes to things.

When I started improvasational theater one of the first things I learned was "never deny a scene" because it will kill the comedy and momentum.

So in other words, always say yes.

We even had a practice game titles "Yes and" where you had to continue whatever the latter person stated.

For example "Hey, I love that purple g-string you have!" "Oh thank you, I got it at ross etc. etc. etc. but it is nothing comparred to that amazing naked penquin tux you had last summer, that one you got off of the homeless man in new york making him so enraged he exploaded into a million pieces causing the entire city to be covered in motzarella cheese"

"Oh yes, and then the Zoolander cam by and ..."

You get the point. In improv we are taught to do this, never deny a scene.

In Yes man Carry's character has a boring dead end job and then changes his life the minniute he joins a YES seminair...

The point of this topic is ... for us with AS, I think this might be an excellent way to help...

Trying new things may be scary, but it also just might help all of you out in the long run!

Off to the Mall for last minniute gifts , good luck.

-Zane

ike
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 2:35 pm

There's a book called the Luck Factor written by one of the UK's most renowned scientists, a guy by the name of Richard Wiseman. Very good book. It explains in great detail ten years of research into why fully two-thirds of all people believe they have consistent luck (most of them good, a small handful bad).

It turns out that there actually is a strong correlation between the perception of being lucky (or unlucky) and a couple of the big-five personality traits. The book then delves into a variety of more specific behaviors that lucky people exhibit.

I started reading it before I started researching autism and I noticed right away that I lacked many of the lucky behaviors and had the unlucky personality trait (a high neuroticism score, which is true for most aspies). Moreover, my parents were also in several ways diametrically opposed to the lucky habits. One of the lucky personality traits is "openness to experience", which basically just means getting out there and trying new things. Something that's very difficult for most aspies. As a matter of fact, it turns out that the lucky personality traits and habits in general are all things that scare the crap out of aspies. :roll:

But it can be done. :)

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 4:10 pm

ike wrote:
. Something that's very difficult for most aspies. As a matter of fact, it turns out that the lucky personality traits and habits in general are all things that scare the crap out of aspies. :roll:

But it can be done. :)

Aspies r yes men,
What set us apart from NT is while they negotiating and manipulating the world around them we accept it completely,that why we don't get double talk and could be perceived as naive,
the aspie tendency to to what NT considered obsessive learning or the detached impression they give is also indication that unlike NT we don't fight reality like they do,
we do not confront ppl, that why ppl confront us
we r the yes ppl that why every one,including out families,co workers and so called friends is saying no to us.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2008, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Aspies r yes men

I agree with that, although not necessarily for all the reasons cited :wink: It's probably more like we say "yes" to everything we don't want to do and "no" to what we do want.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2008, 12:31 am

Life will lead us nowhere unless we can learn to say yes to some things tbh.